It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Magnitude 6.5 - BOUGAINVILLE REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
* Monday, February 01, 2010 at 22:28:22 UTC
* Tuesday, February 02, 2010 at 08:28:22 AM at epicenter
Location 6.145°S, 154.413°E
Depth 74.7 km (46.4 miles)
Region BOUGAINVILLE REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
* 126 km (78 miles) W (274°) from Arawa, Bougainville, PNG
* 252 km (157 miles) WNW (283°) from Chirovanga, Solomon Islands
* 327 km (203 miles) SE (131°) from Rabaul, New Britain, PNG
* 713 km (443 miles) WNW (301°) from HONIARA, Solomon Islands
* 822 km (511 miles) E (86°) from Lae, New Guinea, PNG
Magnitude 6.0 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
* Thursday, February 04, 2010 at 20:20:21 UTC
* Thursday, February 04, 2010 at 12:20:21 PM at epicenter
Location 40.431°N, 124.929°W
Depth 11.2 km (7.0 miles)
Region OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
* 56 km (35 miles) WNW (282°) from Petrolia, CA
* 59 km (36 miles) WSW (254°) from Ferndale, CA
* 68 km (42 miles) WSW (256°) from Fortuna, CA
* 76 km (47 miles) WSW (239°) from Eureka, CA
* 363 km (225 miles) NW (306°) from Sacramento, CA
Strong earthquake shakes Humboldt County, California
EUREKA, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck Humboldt County, California on Thursday afternoon, seismologists said.
The earthquake, which struck about 35 miles west-northwest of the small unincorporated community of Petrolia, had a preliminary magnitude of 6.0.
“The magnitude is such that a tsunami is not expected,” the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said in a statement. “However, in coastal areas of intense shaking, locally generated tsunamis can be triggered by underwater landslides.”
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the earthquake, which happened at 12.20 p.m. local time.