It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2010

page: 222
<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
reply to post by PuterMan

Similar programs for extreme weather, tsunami and volcano alerts would be good too. Do they exist? Is there a reason you're only using a couple of sites? or will you build on it over time?

There are of course alerts for all of this but not in the form of the eQuake add-on as far as I am aware. RSOE of course makes a point of including all these and everything else under the sun. I have to say it is not one of my favourite sites but some people swear by it.

The reason for using only two sites at present is mainly because I have not added others. (Actually that is not correct as the program is collecting New Zealand data and I am in the process of adding Icelandic and Iranian quakes.) So yes it will build over time. One of the problems I have to overcome is duplications. Unlike mashup my listing contains both the EMSC and the USGS sources on the one list and of course for larger quakes they both report them. The program checks for duplicates.

This is a (small) screenshot of the listing. See the blue markers? They are ones with duplicates/

right-click a line with a blue marker (having highlighted the line) and you get this menu
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/320cea02162d.png[/atsimg]

Click View Alternates For This Quake and you get

The program also tracks any changes to the alternate as well as the main quake.

It has taken months to get this working properly!!
edit on 13/10/2010 by PuterMan because: to clarify

This can be compounded by having a big quake in New Zealand that also gets reported by EMSC and USGS. Example below:

edit on 13/10/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

That's fantastic! No wonder you're always so on the ball with it all! I'd hate to think how many hours you've put into it. Do you do this as a profession?
With the alternate screen shot, I notice the latitudes are slightly different. If you filter the results by location, how much does the program allow for those small differences in longtitude and latitude? Or can you filter my location name?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius

I'd hate to think how many hours you've put into it. Do you do this as a profession?

Many! Yes I am a programmer.

With the alternate screen shot, I notice the latitudes are slightly different. If you filter the results by location,

Welcome to the exact science of earthquakes!

how much does the program allow for those small differences in longtitude and latitude? Or can you filter my location name?

You can filter on Location (or part thereof) and/or Magnitude and/or a Lat/Lon 'box' which are called 'shapes' in the program. These are what I have set up, but you can add what you like. (The program handles that for you)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3d8e34227b8.png[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I look forward to hearing more about your program as you go. Thanks for all the info. I will continue to try and keep up with this thread. Keep up the great work Puterman!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Okay , are there any Okies here who might have just felt an earthquake ? I am on the outskirts of Tulsa and it just happened . I ran outside and when I came back in , the time was 9:11 am .

I was setting here at my computer when the whole house started shaking and vibrating . The pictures hanging on the walls were slapping the walls and dishes were rattling .

I never heard any type of explosion or noise , and that was my first thought , that something had exploded . There was absolutely no wind blowing either . Scared the crap out of me .

Anyone else just feel that ?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time

* Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 14:06:29 UTC
* Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 09:06:29 AM at epicenter

Location 35.206°N, 97.307°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region OKLAHOMA
Distances 10 km (10 miles) E of Norman, Oklahoma
35 km (20 miles) SSE of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma
35 km (25 miles) WSW of Shawnee, Oklahoma
60 km (35 miles) ENE of Chickasha, Oklahoma
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7.1 km (4.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 38, Nph= 38, Dmin=42.7 km, Rmss=1.19 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010ciay

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f47df54f0a6.png[/atsimg]
edit on 13/10/2010 by PuterMan because: Added Image

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

I am outside Tulsa also, and felt it too. Felt the ground move and my chair vibrate as I was sitting at the computer, and the walls were creaking. I checked outside also, nothing visible that might have caused it, anyway. Checked USGS--nothing on there yet. Then I came here and I see I'm not the only one who felt that. Be interested to find out what that was...

Thanks for the quick update, PuterMan.

edit on 13-10-2010 by CloudHidden because: added thanks

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
As always great graphs and info.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CloudHidden

See the post right above yours from Puterman , I think that explains it .

Thanks Puterman , for the info and the quick response .

That was pretty wild , have never felt a quake before . Freaked me out when the pictures started slapping the walls , not real hard , just enough to get my attention , then the subtle noise of the dishes rattling .

And I could actually discern the movement of the walls . WOW !

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
beat me to it Puterman

I felt here in OKC too I woke up because I thought it was thunder and then my bed was shaking so I figured it out pretty quick.
edit on 13-10-2010 by Brad Jones because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2010 by Brad Jones because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Brad Jones

Happens!! What caught my attention is that it popped up on my pop-up screen as 0 mag first of all. That is why I was on it so quick.

USGS have downgraded it to a 4.3 but EMSC have it as a 4.5 still.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
For those of you that felt the quake - don't forget to fill out the Felt Report following the Links on This USGS Page.
edit on 13-10-2010 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Just now completed the form .

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Report submitted--thank you.

That was something different...I've never felt an earthquake before. I lurk in this thread regularly and my first thought was to check here, though it took me a bit because I post so seldom on ATS.

You guys are awesome--thanks again! The info was posted here before anything was on the local news sites. No surprise there...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

thanks

I moved the Topic to the Weaponry &Tactics Forum

used your link to help with developing an understanding of what went on there.

Looks like it may have just been an earthquake after all, judging by Phage's link to the shape of what a Nuclear explosion signature looks like on a graph.
I'll look into it further.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Looks like another little swarm just happened in Iceland, it's been a little busy in the past 24 hours.

Link.
edit on 13/10/2010 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Arkansas had been shaking a lot this week too. I was thinking New Madrid was between Arkansas & Oklahoma but I went back & looked & it's on the east side of Ark not the west side. From what I understand there is a lot of unknowns about the faults east of the Rockies & how they behave.

I saw some activity about that time on the Yellowstone seismographs. I also see some activity in the last hour too. Did you just have an aftershock? I'm not seeing it on USGS.

www.isthisthingon.org...

Thought it might be that 4.4 around the Juan de Fuca but that was in the middle of the night.

Wishing you a quiet afternoon.
QR

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3449a2f7fd5.gif[/atsimg]

What can I say? It is Iceland.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ee, they keep on doing it. This just came in.

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2010-10-11T20:04:57.257Z,-43.60062,172.56261,3.0790,5.0000,Cass Bay

It is only 2+ days behind the event!

Apologies: That is New Zealand for those who are not familiar with the Lat/Lon
edit on 13/10/2010 by PuterMan because:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

You'll find by the end of the month there will be double the number of quakes than what was shown on the day. Well normally thats how it pans out, say 25 quakes on the day turns into 40+ after 30 days, sometimes they do it quicker if things are quiet, mostly they are 1's & 2's or low 3's. The 3's generally are offshore.
The Darfield quake livened things up at Geonet for a while, they were on the case all the time for 30 days, now its eased off probably just one or two people checking over the seismographs a couple of times a day.
Thats why I update my blog on a montly basis (if I remember to)

edit on 14-10-2010 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join