It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2010

page: 206
<< 203  204  205    207  208  209 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
editted post below

[edit on 5-9-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
www.geonet.org.nz... quake.html

Interesting article, with some aerial photos of the fault trace.

f course, we're still getting aftershocks, but the recurrence interval is widening.

Nice work there, muzzy

www.canterbury.ac.nz...

Canterbury University homepage with some pictures of the damage in the library. I don't really want to think about the condition of my labs

[edit on 5-9-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Bugger

Lots of cleanup to do there.

This is Ilam Campus?
I did the roof on one of the high rise buildings there back in the early 1980's ( past its warranty by 10 years now)

Its good how they are keeping you informed through their web site, quick work there.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Just for a change.

Reference Number 3367191/G
Universal Time September 5 2010 at 12:18
NZ Standard Time Monday, September 6 2010 at 0:18 am
Latitude, Longitude 35.71°S, 177.72°E
Focal Depth 300 km
Richter magnitude 4.7ML
Region Raukumara Plain (actually its in the Havre Trough)
* 210 km north of White Island
* 220 km north-east of Whitianga
* 260 km north of Whakatane
* 290 km north-east of Auckland

www.geonet.org.nz...

MM4 Largely observed 2 Bucklands Beach [1], Grey Lynn [1] (Auckland)

There are a couple of felt reports from Christchurch, but thats unlikely given the magnitude and distance, probably just a mix up regarding time/location.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Okay, just gotta report that my dog is acting wierd again. Won't stop barking, growling for no reason.

Last time he acted like this was when they had the big one on the cali/mexico border. He's starting to freak me out though.

7:11 local time (pacific standard)

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Kiwi friends - thanks for all the photos and links - I am glad everyone is okay, but how scary. The library photos are particularly compelling.

westcoast - all is quiet here... so far. Hope it stays that way - although, of course the next quake is just a matter of time

[edit on 9/5/2010 by Tadarida]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadarida

Yup! You got that right. I see you are in long beach!!

I just had a beautiful drive today that took me right past Mount Rainier. I actually stayed the night in Packwood that sits basically right at its base. I have to admit that I was just a little nervous, even though there hasn't been any sign of an erruption. It is an incredible sight up close!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I saw this on aol news online and thought I would share in this thread. I looked to see if anyone posted it but I didn't see anything. I don't know anything about earthquakes but it seems even scientists are puzzled. Funny thing is I found a thread from last year at the end of August where Oklahoma had a bunch of quakes that puzzled scientist then....so it happens again a year later and they are still puzzled?? So am I!

For all you quake buffs, what do you think this means if anything. Is it normal for this area of the US to get quakes?

For the second time in less than a week, six small earthquakes have been recorded in a single day in central Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Geological Survey said the six earthquakes on Saturday ranged from preliminary magnitudes of 1.5 to 3.3.

source

Edit.
This is the thread I found from last year that mentions quakes in Oklahoma.
9 Earthquakes hit Oklahoma in 24 hrs (2009)

Do areas have cycles of the year where they are more active? I am only asking because I don't know anything about earthquakes and have always wondered this. Thanks.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by mblahnikluver]

[edit on 9/6/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hi there, just some food for thought here on a subject i know
little about. Seems to me that on surprising regularity when
there is an earthquake within a day or so there is activity
directly on the opposite side of earth. Is this a known fact or
just my misconceptions? I have not documented any just
going off my memory, begs the question what or where is
the opposite side to NZ?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

If you drilled straight through from Darfield you would be holidaying on the North coast of Spain.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/906fafa471dc.png[/atsimg]

Source Antipodes Map

Edit: Spelling errors :shk: Digital Dyslexia rools KO!

[edit on 6/9/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks puter, i was trying to work it out using my globe of the earth,
not real accurate, i was closer to greece. If Spain has a quake tomorrow
ill be a genius! Not that i would wish that on anyone.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well I have to say that I can't see anything particularly unusual about the quakes in Oklahoma in terms of number or frequency. Whether they should be there or not is a different matter. You can see from the graph that the 71 quakes >= magnitude 1.0 over the past 365 days are relatively well spaced in terms of frequency and even in terms of magnitude.

Cumulative

Magnitudes

You would need to dig deeper into the geology of the area to take this a little further and I am afraid that just at this moment I don't have the time to do that. It does seem interesting having looked at those 71 quakes in Google Earth. They do all seem to be concentrated in one particular area. Any ideas what is out to the North WestEast
of Oklahoma City? Oil fields? Extraction could explain this especially if this is an oil shale area which I suspect it would be.

You can download the KMZ file for Google Earth of those 71 quakes from my 4shared site

Edits for: Stupidity - can't tell East from West, typos and general inability to string a sentence together. :shk:

[edit on 6/9/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Couple of quakes just off the southern tip of Wellington 4.0 and 3.8, both Felt.
I didn't feel anything as I was driving at the time, but what may be interesting is at the same time there was a major landslide at Horokiwi which is right on the Wellington Fault. The motorway there was totally blocked and rush hour about to start

I cut off north before the landslide site.
On the radio when they reported these quakes they quoted scientists from GNS saying that "these quakes (and the east coast one) at 10:48am were not related to the Canterbury one."

Sure they weren't on the same fault line but surely subduction at the Hikurangi Trough will be causing all this activity, off course its related !

Where I am at Kapiti (north of Wellington) we are on the Australian Plate, the Cantabrians are on the Pacific Plate.

Hopefully this is just an minor adjustment of the Plates caused by the 7.0 at Christchurch.

Reference Number 3367989/G
Universal Time September 6 2010 at 22:48
NZ Standard Time Tuesday, September 7 2010 at 10:48 am
Latitude, Longitude 40.44°S, 176.80°E
Focal Depth 15 km
Richter magnitude 5.2
Region Wairarapa
* 20 km south-east of Porangahau
* 50 km south-east of Waipukurau
* 90 km south of Hastings
* 200 km north-east of Wellington
www.geonet.org.nz...

Reference Number 3368099/G
Universal Time September 7 2010 at 3:48
NZ Standard Time Tuesday, September 7 2010 at 3:48 pm
Latitude, Longitude 41.35°S, 174.54°E
Focal Depth 40 km
Richter magnitude 4.0
Region Wellington
* 20 km west of Wellington
www.geonet.org.nz...

Reference Number 3368110/G
Universal Time September 7 2010 at 4:18
NZ Standard Time Tuesday, September 7 2010 at 4:18 pm
Latitude, Longitude 41.36°S, 174.54°E
Focal Depth 40 km
Richter magnitude 3.8
Region Wellington
* 20 km south-west of Wellington
www.geonet.org.nz...

Might sleep in my track pants tonight, running shoes by the bed

[edit on 7-9-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Fiji Region from the USGS:

Magnitude 6.2
Date-Time Tuesday, September 07, 2010 at 16:13:33 UTC
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 at 04:13:33 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 15.917°S, 179.365°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region FIJI REGION
Distances 145 km (90 miles) ENE of Lambasa, Vanua Levu, Fiji
220 km (135 miles) SW of Sigave, Ile Futuna, Wallis and Futuna
340 km (210 miles) NE of SUVA, Viti Levu, Fiji
2385 km (1490 miles) NNE of Auckland, New Zealand

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just read a post in another thread that said the innitial NZ quake caused a new fault line to form as well as 50 new ones along California.
Anyone know anything about this and/or if it's a load of crap?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

From what I have read its not necessarily a "new fault" just a new fault "trace" ie evidence of a fault.

The fault may have been there for millions of years, been buried under 16,000 years of alluvial debris off the Alps.

The 50 faults in California probably another reseach project.

We know so little about this Planet, we only been here 10,000 years ourselves

[edit on 7-9-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Yeah - that all makes sense. Thanks. Be safe

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So, for the those of you familiar with the Deep Tremor - which was suppose to have gone through - we have todays (yesterdays) update - surley this has got to be stiring the faults and plate to a large event - why are we having uplift and tilt???? and "slip models"???? - walks away shaking head.

Sep 6, 2010 - This ETS seems to still be going on as strong or stronger than most. Strong and lengthy tremor continues to move slowly north on Vancouver Island almost reaching the Port Alberni area. The southern batch keeps moving south, now concentrated under Longview, WA. A report from Tim Melbourne of Central Washington University confirms this seismologist's suspicion that geodetic motions seem bigger than many ETS in the past. He thinks motions are on average 40% larger than seen in previous ETS including detectable uplift to the west of mapped tremor locations. Also his "Long Baseline Tilt meters show a beautiful recording (praise be summer weather), maybe 350nr of total tilt, and interesting time dependence." In another week or so some calculated slip models should be available.

Source

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

We know so little about this Planet, we only been here 10,000 years ourselves

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Is this normal after a quake?
Sulphur smell' reported in Christchurch

www.sbs.com.au...

top topics

<< 203  204  205    207  208  209 >>