It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2010

page: 205
<< 202  203  204    206  207  208 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Aah, o.k... I might have been elsewhere charging the holes, or dreaming of pies for lunch.

It was quite a long survey. About 19km from memory.

I would have had glasses and a beard, and was the *cough* handsome one

Going through "town" we had to switch to hammer and plate as explosives wouldn't have been a good look...

[edit on 4-9-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Aah, o.k... I might have been elsewhere charging the holes, or dreaming of pies for lunch.

It was quite a long survey. About 19km from memory.

I would have had glasses and a beard, and was the *cough* handsome one

Going through "town" we had to switch to hammer and plate as explosives wouldn't have been a good look...

A geologist with a beard and glasses? Never!!

So, it was you that kept Sheffield bakery in business!

All quiet here at the moment *touch wood* we are now sporting our bike helmets lol

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Magnitude 6.1
Date-Time Saturday, September 04, 2010 at 08:52:01 UTC
Saturday, September 04, 2010 at 09:52:01 PM at epicenter

Location 17.270°S, 174.000°W
Depth 37.1 km (23.1 miles)
Region TONGA
Distances 153 km (95 miles) N (359°) from Neiafu, Tonga
450 km (280 miles) NNE (17°) from NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga
455 km (283 miles) SSW (212°) from APIA, Samoa
2591 km (1610 miles) W (267°) from PAPEETE, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.8 km (7.3 miles); depth +/- 23.6 km (14.7 miles)
Parameters NST=166, Nph=166, Dmin=441.9 km, Rmss=0.7 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=6
Source U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID us2010auay

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Austria

is it just me or are there alot of quakes today
i have seen quakes all day going off woundering if something is causing more than normal amounts of quakes

xp

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I noticed they're all at the neighboring faultline. Newzealand-Papua-Tonga and in that order too, so i guess they're all related

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by weeuweed

ring of fire huh

interesting chain of events
we seam to be seing a connected series of events

xploder

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I saw this video somewhere here at ATS last week, and then earlier today I read a post about an active area on the sun that was in the same area as New Zealand.

Listen to what this guy says.

I don't know if there is a connection with sun activity and earthquakes but this one makes me wonder if it is so.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

in general we have little knowledge of gravitational forces...and the effects of it on other planets
but in these days (perhaps triggerd by the 2012 hype) there is much moore investigation on the subject..and it seems now connected with sun fysics and EQ's..

my belief is also when there is an mayor explosion on the sun the earth is shiffering from it..in 2 ways...first the gravitational disturbance with speed of light (8min impact ]...then after 1and an half day the fysical reaction when the CME material is colliding with earth...(think of an plane flying through an cloud)....

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Glad you are all OK in NZ

I go off line for a day and you decide to have yourselves a little earthquake?

Just trying to add to the 7+ statistics for Muzzy perhaps?

I have only just logged in so I must go off and data gather. I'll be back!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Glad to see you are back. Stay safe and warm. I'm sure my nerves would be a bad off as yours. Maybe that's why the first store that got robbed was the liquor store.

E - W shaking is an interesting observation. Looks like most NZ faults are N-S.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Link to the NZ 7 quake thread to a list of all quakes since just before the event up to now. This includes some events under 4.0

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hope you Cantabrians got some sleep down there last night?
I see the latest aftershocks through the early morning are down to the low 4's and 3's.

aorAki and moorfnz, what do make of the double/triple event theory being thrown about by usgs? Does it tie in with what you felt?
They now have the first quake "foreshock" at 5.3 and the main event at 7.0, 5 seconds apart , and GNS has a "unknown magnitude" quake 5 seconds after their 7.1.
This from USGS

COMMENT: Complex earthquake observed on broadband displacement seismograms with at least two larger events occurring after the onset. Depth from synthetics of broadband displacement seismograms based on first large event.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

and this from Geonet

At this time we cannot confirm the mechanisms of the earthquake. There are several parts to this earthquake occurring within seconds of each other and it will take some time to decipher what the waveforms recorded by our seismographs tell us about the sequence of events. The Canterbury Plains are covered with river gravels so we cannot see the evidence for past active faults in this region, as they are now buried. That makes this earthquake unprecedented in our recorded history.
www.geonet.org.nz...

I guess if you were asleep you wouldn't have felt the first one?

Have you experienced feeling dizzy?
When it came through here 380km away, thats what I noticed the most, the rolling motion wasn't that powerful.

Heres a map of the aftershocks up to noon yesterday NZST, definitely a NW-SE pattern to them.
Probably better to view on Google Earth, that has the magnitude text beside them
dl.dropbox.com...

[edit on 4-9-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
Hope you Cantabrians got some sleep down there last night?
I see the latest aftershocks through the early morning are down to the low 4's and 3's.

Cheers bro!

Originally posted by muzzyaorAki and moorfnz, what do make of the double/triple event theory being thrown about by usgs? Does it tie in with what you felt?
They now have the first quake "foreshock" at 5.3 and the main event at 7.0, 5 seconds apart , and GNS has a "unknown magnitude" quake 5 seconds after their 7.1.

To be honest, I don't know, but it is highly possible. It all SEEMED like one event, but the 'shock and awe' of it certainly didn't aid any clear thinking at the time. I was more worried about my pets.

Originally posted by muzzyHave you experienced feeling dizzy?
When it came through here 380km away, thats what I noticed the most, the rolling motion wasn't that powerful.

Yep...it's odd, I feel almost like I'm on a ship at the moment. There are aftershocks every 5-10 minutes according to our crude 'wall-plate rattler' seismograph.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
double post

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Glad to hear you're safe Moorf, welcome back!

Stay safe
Peace.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
yeah 8-10 minute intervals is what Geonet is showing too.
138 aftershocks up till 10am this morning is what they have.
I did a quick map, will wait until after 2400hrs to do a proper interactive map.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5fe4ec0c029.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

There was a 4.5 offshore Oregon awhile ago. There was another smaller one earlier todayI watched a swarm there back in May of about 13 eqs going up from offshore California, offshore Oregon and offshore Vancouver. Two of them got up to 5.1's. That area always makes me nervous on the Juan de Fuca subduction zone.

I'm glad that everyone in NZ is o.k. and hope the aftershocks subside with no other large ones.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Heres the Darfield Quake aftershock maps, I haven't put the actual felt details onto the 4th's kml file yet, have got the data saved on file, had to lift it individually of each quake on the "recent quakes" page and go back to the archives for some that happened yesterday afternoon, there are 38 of them for the 4th Sept UTC, I can do that later. Had interuptions all day long.

You can read the text list here for 4th UTC, and 3rd UTC here I won't clutter up this thread with the lines of text

03.09.2010 UTC Interactive Map

04.09.2010 UTC Interactive Map

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
List of quakes from 03 Sep 2010 00:00 UTC to 05 Sep 2010 12:00 UTC

media.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a PDF file. I can provide a CSV if you want it.

Edit: By the way this is all of NZ and is taken from the QuakeML service of GeoNet.

[edit on 5/9/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

is that QuakeML any quicker than just doing a search in csv format?

I tried using the KML data download to create lists but it broken down into magnitudes, too much work.

new topics

top topics

<< 202  203  204    206  207  208 >>

join