It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2010

page: 178
<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Yeah, the adobe in China can be very deadly. And the narrow streets don't help in many areas.

In Taipei the first time in the Navy . . . in the NCO housing . . . terazzo floors . . . the routine was for the houseboys to wake us up for watch etc.

It was a DOUBLEBACK--had worked 8 hours; had 8 hours to sleep and back to work for another shift on a 2, 2, 2 & 80 off rotation.

Anyway--I'm asleep and the bed starts shaking. I think it's the houseboy to wake me up. Then I wake up a bit more and the bed is moving a good distance back and forth across the slick terazzo floor.

I prayed quicklyl--Lord, I pray I'm ready to meet you--etc.--if it's not my time, I need to work soon--help me get back to sleep. And I did.

LOL.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Thanks much. Very fascinating.

What are your 3 main goals with your project?

What new are you expecting to uncover?

Do you buy into the bit about New Zealand supposed to increase it's land area dramatically in the not too distant future?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

No I am afraid that we cannot set up such things here, but there are several ways you can get that information sent direct to your computer.

One of the more popular ways is to use eQuake which will shake your browser window when a quake occurs BUT it only works with Firefox.

Use this link to get the latest version of the eQuake add-in.

This link takes you to the USGS Catalogs page and here you can get the RSS feed set up. (eQuake is based on the RSS feed but you do not need the feed to use eQuake) The RSS feeds available are on the right hand side of the page.

You can also download CSV files form here, but if I may suggest it you would be better installing my free QVS Data program which does the downloading of these CSV files for you and much more. The current version is about to get a major update so I would wait a while on that one. I usually announce update on this thread, Volcano Watch and Yellowstone.

There is an Earthquake Notifier program for Google Chrome but I know nothing about it or how it works.

This USGS page gives links to other earthquake resources (presumably sort of approved of by the USGS)

The EMSC earthquakes page also has links to set RSS feeds and more. Go to the Information Services menu
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f8e6436cec8.png[/atsimg]

Please be aware that if you want SMS it may cost you as you will require an SMS account with your mobile phone provider.

RSOE EDIS also has various alert functions. Most of these function are built on USGS/EMSC or GEOFON alert services so it is possible best to go direct to the original providers.

The GEOFON maps of recent quakes are available on the Global seismic monitor

I think that should get you going. If you use Firefox then eQuake is definitely the best approach to what you need at present, but be aware that it works with 3.6.0 of Firefox but I have no information of wherther it works with the latest version. It usually takes a little while to catch up.

I will be building an alert system into my program soon.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Iranian Seismic data

2010/07/31 06:52:56.0 11:22:56 29.63 56.75 14 ML:5.6 Kerman Province, 37 km South-East of Bardsir

USGS data

Magnitude 5.3
Date-Time

* Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 06:52:57 UTC
* Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 10:22:57 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 29.450°N, 56.827°E
Depth 22.4 km (13.9 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region SOUTHERN IRAN
Distances 95 km (60 miles) SSW of Kerman, Iran
110 km (70 miles) E of Sirjan, Iran
135 km (85 miles) SE of Rafsanjan, Iran
855 km (530 miles) SE of TEHRAN, Iran
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.1 km (6.9 miles); depth +/- 42.5 km (26.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 46, Nph= 46, Dmin=503.2 km, Rmss=1.17 sec, Gp= 72°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010zjap

There seems to be some differences on the ML value. 5.6 from the Iranian service ans 5.1 from USGS.

USGS technical data

Phase Data

Explanation of Parameters

31 JUL 2010 (212)

ot = 06:52:57.97 +/- 2.37 SOUTHERN IRAN
lat = 29.450 +/- 7.1
lon = 56.827 +/- 5.6 MAGNITUDE 5.3 (GS)
dep = 22.4 +/- 28.0

95 km (60 miles) SSW of Kerman, Iran (pop 515,000)
110 km (70 miles) E of Sirjan, Iran (pop 170,000)
135 km (85 miles) SE of Rafsanjan, Iran (pop 139,000)
855 km (530 miles) SE of TEHRAN, Iran

nph = 46 of 46 se = 1.17 FE=353 B

error ellipse = (237.0, 86.0, 42.6; 20.0, 2.0, 11.1;110.0, 1.0, 7.8)

mb = 5.3 ( 45) ML = 5.1 ( 4) mblg = 3.9 ( 7) md = 0.0 ( 0) MS = 0.0 ( 0)

[edit on 31/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Magnitude 5.4
Date-Time Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 11:36:56 UTC
Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 10:36:56 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 0.727°S, 15.977°W
Depth 10.4 km (6.5 miles)
Region NORTH OF ASCENSION ISLAND
Distances 810 km (510 miles) NNW of Ascension Island
960 km (600 miles) SW of MONROVIA, Liberia
990 km (610 miles) SSW of Bonthe, Sierra Leone
1065 km (660 miles) SSW of FREETOWN, Sierra Leone

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 17.3 km (10.7 miles); depth +/- 4.1 km (2.5 miles)
Parameters NST=131, Nph=132, Dmin=817.1 km, Rmss=1.09 sec, Gp= 43°,
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010zjay

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

THX for the links.

I've subscribed to the USGS for some years.

I was hoping for something from ATS to Y'ALL'S EXCELLENT filtering and knowledgeable wisdom about such things.

Ahhhh well. Maybe with the overhaul there will be other options.

Sure appreciate all you do on this thread. I can check it daily manually. A lot better than nothing.

Thx Thx.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I like the 3D style

What I was looking for was to maybe take 12 months and break down the 8's, 7's, 6's, 5's etc, into a pie chart, to see how they pan out as a % of 100% of all the energy released during that time period.
Possibly something I could add to the "Project"
I still haven't got my head around the formula you use yet. Whats the ^ symbol mean?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I still don't get the relationship between ML and Mb.
Like you did there I always have a look at the Phase Data to see what the other magnitude types were, and usually if they have an ML is 2-3-4 points below the other magnitude types, ie it might be 7.2ML and 7.6Mw ( last years Dusky Sound NZ quake)

So the Iranian reading of 5.6ML would make it close to a Mag 6 Mw

Maybe they just made a mistake.

I see the Iranian site had yesterdays Khorasan quake at 5.8ML versus usgs 5.6mb also

[edit on 31-7-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

^ Raises a number to the power of x

2^2 = 2 squared.

In the formula it is 10 to the power of 1.5*the difference of the two quakes

10 ^ (1.5 times (bigger quake magnitude - smaller quake magnitude) )

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by muzzy

Thanks much. Very fascinating.

What are your 3 main goals with your project?

What new are you expecting to uncover?

Do you buy into the bit about New Zealand supposed to increase it's land area dramatically in the not too distant future?

1.The object mainly is to find out if USGS ( and British Geological Survey who say similar) are lying about the number of quakes not increasing lately

2. In doing so the project also brings together data from multiple sources into one place for easy reference. (I have several other Blogs focused on New Zealand earthquakes that I have been doing for years, and one in particular Tauhouanga which I have already used as an extra reference for building the World 7+ Project)
3. To maintain my sanity during the Winter (now) when I am off work because of bad weather, I work outdoors in construction. We get a lot of time off, at least doing this I'm not out spending money

What really got me started on The 7+ Project is I seen a link that Moorfnz posted here on ATS to a site with historical quakes earthquakesdb and started playing around with the search and seen a Mag 7 quake back in 1800 something in Switzerland and thought "huh???" thats not usual, or maybe it was??
Its not a bad site but it does have multiple entries for the same event which can get quite confusing.
So I thought I would have a crack myself.

I haven't heard about the NZ land mass getting bigger, unless you mean NZ adopting in Australia as the 4th Island

There are 500,000 Kiwis live in Aussie, thats 10% of all Kiwis Worldwide

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

I still don't get the relationship between ML and Mb.
So the Iranian reading of 5.6ML would make it close to a Mag 6 Mw

As I understand it there is no direct translation between the two ML is Magnitude Local and of course Mb teleseismic body-wave magnitude. Now whilst USGS says they produce consistent results I have no idea how!

This page gives USGS policy - which I am sure you have seen - and has formula which I have not investigated. As I understand it Mb is not necessarily larger than ML - it can be smaller.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Not much happening around New Zealand last 24 hrs,

4 more quakes at Otaikaina Volcanic Centre
1 more o/s Matata
Couple either side of me, 3.0 in the Marlborough Sounds and 3.3 near Fernside on the Wairarapa Fault
A 3.5 at the Hikurangi Subduction Trench ( thats never a good sign)
AND a deep 4.4 at the Havre Trough, 53km W of the Rumble II submarine twin volcano

Map

Don't forget you can open the file in Google Earth by clicking the blue text option top right of the map. Thats handy if you want to open the layers on GE and see volcanos or mountains etc

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
another one very deep at fiji now.. wats up in the mantle ?

Earthquake Details
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.6
Date-Time Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 07:21:23 UTC
Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 07:21:23 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 23.721°S, 179.930°E
Depth 529.7 km (329.2 miles)
Region SOUTH OF THE FIJI ISLANDS
Distances 370 km (230 miles) SSW of Ndoi Island, Fiji
575 km (360 miles) WSW of NUKU`ALOFA, Tonga
640 km (395 miles) SSE of SUVA, Viti Levu, Fiji
1545 km (960 miles) NNE of Auckland, New Zealand

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 21.6 km (13.4 miles); depth +/- 13.7 km (8.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 45, Nph= 47, Dmin=690.2 km, Rmss=0.76 sec, Gp=108°,
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010zjas

Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Talking about magnitudes this document may be of interest.

Magnitude change in UC Berkeley Earthquake Catalog

It mentions some of the differences being based on topography.

Note in the other article I posted that ML is not used over 1000km distance.

This BGS PDF might help

This one has some useful info as well.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by muzzy

Talking about magnitudes this document may be of interest.

Magnitude change in UC Berkeley Earthquake Catalog

It mentions some of the differences being based on topography.

Note in the other article I posted that ML is not used over 1000km distance.

This BGS PDF might help

This one has some useful info as well.

Its quite complicated isn't it

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I don't know about the mantle, but there has to be some volcanics going on along the Kermadec/Tonga Ridge/ Havre Trough/Lau Trough/Colville Ridge area (what you see on the usgs map when you click on that Fiji quake), what with the small swarm going on down at Okataina in New Zealand then that quake by Rumble II submarine Volc. and also these ones up near Tonga and Fiji.

BTW the Colville Ridge used to be the Subduction Margin Zone millions of years ago, I can't recall the period but it was when the Kiwi Beak at Farewll Spit was way down by Fiordland, and the Tasman Sea was a Sub Marine Spreading Ridge ( like the Mid Atlantic Ridge now)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Certainly is! Makes my brain hurt.

This is another site with a reasonably good piece about earthquake size. It is not technical but gives a good overall picture including speed of rupture of a fault in an earthquake, which basically how long the jelly shakes.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Your computations yesterday about Energy Released are quite timely though, I just been through 2008 again and cross checking my Geofon/ANSS/NOAA/EMSC/USGS/iisee list against Significant Earthquakes of the World 2008 and have found 4 extra quakes that make the list by being 7.0 Me, according to USGS Me means = the amount of recorded seismic energy radiated by the earthquake.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hey,

I added the Earthquake Notifier for Google Chrome. I like it. It sits on the top of my browser and lets me know when there is a new quake. I have it set to notify me of anything larger than a 2.5. When I click the icon it shows a window with all the quakes, local time, magnitude and depth.

I can click on an individual quake and immediately the USGS summary of that quake opens in the browser. Keeps me from having to check the USGS site 50 times a day !

Thanks Puterman!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

GREAT GOALS . . . and as a student of Biblical prophecy, one I'm keenly interested in is the increase or not in quakes in our era.

We shall see.

Seems like several prognosticators of various kinds say that a lot of new land is going to surface off New Zealand.

And, of course, that the big volcano on the what--Northern tip of North Island is going to REALLY BLOW.

We shall see.

Love your research. Love your goals. Love your style. Love your candor.

Thx thx.

<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join