It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Taliban: CIA traitor carried out deadly attack [UPDATED New clues!]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Pakistan Taliban: CIA traitor carried out deadly attack

www.usatoday.com

MIR ALI, Pakistan (AP) — The Pakistani Taliban claimed Friday that they used a turncoat CIA operative to carry out a suicide bombing that killed seven American CIA employees in Afghanistan as revenge for a top militant leader's death in a U.S. missile strike.
The announcement was nearly impossible to verify independently because it involves covert operations in a dangerous region. It is highly unusual for the Pakistani Taliban to claim credit for an attack in Afghanistan, and the proclamation followed indications the Afghan Taliban may have been involved in the attack.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
CIA Resolved to Avenge Agents' Deaths

[edit on 1-1-2010 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This obviously make the competence of the security forces there look as though they have none.

I personally am starting to think this was a very delioberate action planned to cause CIA casualties and bring media speculation.

also see
AP: Taliban suicide bomber invited on base

The report mentions what could be the single dumbest mistake any one could have made.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

invited onto the base and was not searched.

People need to go to jail for this amazingly huge # up.
I really have no words on how stupid this is.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I guess this answers your question "How do multiple operatives manage to be all at the same place in the same time, to be killed by a suicide bomber. " in your other thread. At least it would seem so - but, as we all know, things are not always what they seem.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, have the names of the CIA agents been released yet?

Their track record in the Agency may show some interesting things, I feel.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Unless things have drastically changed, names of CIA are never released, willingly any ways. Plame fiasco is not a good example of consideration.

Yes as the other thread discusses, other than "Taliban" assistance is consered a factor in the attack.

Not good speculation so early in the investigation.

Clearly the attack is not getting swept under the rug any time soon.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The base is named after the first military casualty of the war, but the first casualty was a CIA person, Spann if I remember correctly, at a prison. This suicide bombing seems like a disaster for the CIA as regards personnel, and it must have some effect on mission, I just wonder to what extant. Corruption and lawlessness of this area combine with fanaticism and war to produce events like this, although, really, any war will produce deadly turncoats/double agents.

Part of the CIA is a defacto but stealthy military for the US. These personnel, unless recognized, will never be known publicly, but will have been every bit involved in foreign policy AND war. Soldiers they are.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
More media released on the attack, looks like they are going to oush the angle and hope it gets buried like all the other info that they try to cover up.

One former intelligence official tells CBS News initial reports indicate the bomber was being recruited as a CIA source.

And a Pakistani Taliban commander Friday praised what he called their "double agent." He said the bomber was avenging the killing of Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud in a U.S. drone strike last August.

Taliban sources tell CBS News the notorious Haqqani network was behind the attack, using Afghan operatives with the help from colleagues in Pakistan.

New Clues about CIA Suicide Bomber

Pakistan, so now it looks like ISI has a hand in the attack, looks like some secret squirels got in over their heads.

Or did they...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
The base is named after the first military casualty of the war, but the first casualty was a CIA person, Spann if I remember correctly, at a prison. This suicide bombing seems like a disaster for the CIA as regards personnel, and it must have some effect on mission, I just wonder to what extant. Corruption and lawlessness of this area combine with fanaticism and war to produce events like this, although, really, any war will produce deadly turncoats/double agents.

Part of the CIA is a defacto but stealthy military for the US. These personnel, unless recognized, will never be known publicly, but will have been every bit involved in foreign policy AND war. Soldiers they are.

Amen to that. All too often people seem to caste the CIA aside as some sort of nefarious agency, with no pride or honor present amongst those who serve within its ranks. This could not be further from the truth however, as many within the CIA are putting their lives on the line everyday, in exactly the same manner as our uniformed Military personnel. Soldiers they are, indeed.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Did some digging up on past resources, looks like the CIA might have brought this on themselves. Unintentially or inadvertantly, it happened and they have had previous dealings with the Paki side, even though they were created with help of Britian;

The New York Times, October 29, 2001
The close personal relationships that had developed between C.I.A. and I.S.I. officials - General Gul among them - during the war against the Soviets withered away

Pakistani Intelligence Had Links to Al Qaeda

The Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence [ISI] was founded in 1948 by a British army officer, Maj Gen R Cawthome, ...

The ISI is tasked with collection of foreign and domestic intelligence; co-ordination of intelligence functions of the three military services; surveillance over its cadre, foreigners, the media, politically active segments of Pakistani society, diplomats of other countries accredited to Pakistan and Pakistani diplomats serving outside the country; the interception and monitoring of communications; and the conduct of covert offensive operations.

Pakistan Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence [ISI]

So, where exactly do all the puzzle pieces fit.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Also this video report, highlights the suicide attacker and mentions Us suspician towards the entry gained by the bomber.

There is much speculation as to how a suicide bomber was able to get inside a U.S. base in Afghanistan, killing 7 CIA agents. As Kimberly Dozier reports, the Haqqani group is eyed as a suspect.

CIA Killings Raise Questions

Still say ISI and some other non Paki terror group are behind this.
I'm sure if the CIA has any thing to do about this, they will find out who made the final
call.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This claim sounds plausible by the pakistani taliban the more you think about it!

The truth always ends up stranger than we all can ever imagine.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Those guys are just still pissed about Zia. Even though he was a ruthless basstard and deserved a bloody death there is still that old rivalry of intelligence.
Maybe it was fattyboy Adam Gadhan who was invited in. He's been a suspected agent since that tape arrived in the hands of the CIA before it made it to the website for release.
Or maybe it was the ISI guy who turned in Kalid SHeik Mohammed from the safehouse after he beheaded Daniel Pearl.
We'll never know.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
double post.

will add: CIA doesn't have traitors. That is a giant propaganda campaign.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by JJay55]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
Amen to that. All too often people seem to caste the CIA aside as some sort of nefarious agency, with no pride or honor present amongst those who serve within its ranks. This could not be further from the truth however, as many within the CIA are putting their lives on the line everyday, in exactly the same manner as our uniformed Military personnel. Soldiers they are, indeed.

Yeah, it really ticks me off when armchair posters slam the agencies that are protecting their butts. These agencies pick the strongest and best to represent some really excellent work and deserve respect.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Not so old news, looks like this could have been an ISI act more so than previously thought. Check out this report I dug up on soem ting I knew sounded familar.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009
pak tells US: back off, the haqqanis are *good* taliban

the siege of kunduz was the first example of pak protecting their strategic assets that they call the taliban. then they airlifted 100s of pak army officers who were supposed taliban, besieged by the northern alliance. the CIA colluded.

here they are refusing the fight the haqqanis. (very likely obama will back off from confronting the ISI).

a third is the fact that gulbuddin hekmatyar, who got 20% of all the aid given by the CIA in the soviet-era war, is now a major foe of the americans.

you have to admire the pak capability to have the cake and eat it too.
SOLD OUT at the top...

Looks like even top brass were awareof the possable threat from the group, I bet today they are looking back and feeling really damn stupid.

ISI has never been a friendly ally, asset or source. When will the top idiots in government relaise this, or are they all that nieve to beleive the enemy is other than what he is?

Hind sight may always be 20/20, but it sure as hell stings a whole ton as well. Seeing our own leadership duped and manipulated by the very people who attack us.

This is your politics at best, pork bellied politicans and military toadys posturing for some false sence of security and control. They have none.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
double post.

will add: CIA doesn't have traitors. That is a giant propaganda campaign.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by JJay55]

What about Aldrich Ames?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I hope this doesn't give the USA a "right" to invade Pakistan, we could be spread pretty thin here soon

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Never know, things may have been going in that direction any ways. Not so recent but still current reports points at key locations that have been known about for some time.

This is not the first of such reports, just one of many that have gone ignored by the masses, and abviously our own intel community and government.

This is the second installment in a five-part series offering a first-person account by David Rohde of his seven months as a captive of the Taliban in Pakistan. Mr. Rohde, a New York Times reporter, was kidnapped with two Afghan colleagues on Nov. 10, 2008, as they traveled to an interview with a Taliban commander outside of Kabul, Afghanistan.

The articles are based on Mr. Rohde’s recollections and, where possible, records kept by his family and colleagues. For safety reasons, certain names and details have been withheld.
video

Inside the Islamic Emirate - held by the Taliban.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Some of the things that go public are for a reason. We won the Cold War... he played his part. We will never know his real purpose. For the most part they are all stand-up guys. They get crappy assignments, low pay and put their heart and souls into it because they are intelligent and believe in the system. There are no rogues. There are difficult decisions. They have some great stories to tell.... I suppose.... ;-)

Yeah but the comparison of taking out agents systematically did make me wonder too. But I still think this was more a situation of taqiyya which is a concept that our agencies don't train in. We still think Western and can't even understand Ft Hood as anything but psycho.

Taliban will also kill sympathizers that we use as agents so... that goes along with the pattern. Shows that they feel threatened and we are close to the goods.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join