It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea calls for end to hostile relations with US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

North Korea calls for end to hostile relations with US

www.guardian.co.uk

North Korea called for an end to hostile relations with the US in a new year message today and said it was committed to making the Korean peninsula nuclear-free through negotiations.

North Korea has long demanded an end to Washington's hostility and said it developed nuclear weapons to deter a US attack. Washington has repeatedly said it has no intention of invading the country.

The new year statement brightened prospects of North Korea rejoining stalled international talks on ending its nuclear weapons programmes in exchange for aid and other concessions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
"North Korea has often said it wants to replace a ceasefire that ended the 1950-53 Korean war with a peace treaty and forge diplomatic relations with the US as a way to win security guarantees. Washington says this should be linked to North Korea's verifiable denuclearisation.

"The fundamental task for ensuring peace and stability on the Korean peninsula and in the rest of Asia is to put an end to the hostile relationship" between North Korea and the US, Pyongyang said in the statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency, state radio and television.

It said it was committed to establishing "a lasting peace system" on the Korean peninsula and to making it nuclear-free "through dialogue and negotiations"."

Looks like my hope for 2010 is one step closer.

My hope is for peace around the world.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
What are they looking to gain from us this time?

The "We'll be nice if you give us something in return." is getting old.

Our answer should be "Do as you are told, or we will destroy you."

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Is that you Darth Cheney?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

That isn't a way to run a country, threatening countries that they are going to be destroyed if they don't listen. It's also not a good way to keep peace.

What problems has fighting ever solved? We have more than we need here in America, that is why we are in debt. We should just give some of this extra stuff to another country.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I am sorry your comment made me dribble a little.

Darth come to the light side.

I am kind of thinking the same thing though. I wonder how much money this supposed peace is going to cost us?

We have not attacked them in what? Almost 50 years. That guy is the epitome of evil dictator.

I laughed when I heard that when he quit smoking, the whole country had to quit. Talk about a narcissistic disorder.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I would not be too sure about this if i was you. Remember people play games to crowds.

Do you not know about politicians in the west and there obsession with lying.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, that would be nice.

However, this is North Korea, and something will happen so that there is no long lasting piece.

Let's all remember that North Korea is one of these countries they use in the fear propagation campaign.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Talk about a narcissistic disorder.

You are right on this statement. NK is one of the strongest dictator ships alive today. This plea for peace most likely has so many folds to it I would be surprised if it can be taken seriously at all. I also can't help but think since it was made a deal has already been struck. If so it will be costing some one an awful lot, and not NK.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Let's all remember that North Korea is one of these countries they use in the fear propagation campaign.

This is like saying "They are making children scared of stepping into the Lions den. Those parents are propaganda artists "

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Wow !! simply wow !!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well I really think they must be serious this time. Assuming that Kim is dead, or on his deathbed at least. We probably won't hear about this because the government is afraid of internal revolutions.

We really know so little about North Korea and whats really going on in there; I'm positive that there are at least a handful of powerful underground resistance groups waiting for an opportunity to unleash chaos in that country.

As soon as he is gone, I'm sure that the generals and other party members will do everything they can to help their country. They realize that it is a no-win scenario to keep acting the way they have been over the last few years.

I'm not saying that they are going to come over the border with their hands up, but they are certainly going to try and be a little more peaceful and nicer to the rest of the world so they can get some desperately needed help.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

What are they looking to gain from us this time?

Probably money...

Kim is feeble now... scared of dying... maybe he does want his reign of "terror" to be over and start Korea anew, once he passes and his son is the new leader..

But not without telling him how to make billions of American dollars 1st through negotiations. lol

oh well, whatever works.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Sorry, but it is the best way. Bare in mind, it opens up a whole other problem, but the simple fact is that being nice equals death on a global scale. Very simply put, you have peace by being the strongest nation on earth, but never invading until something really bad happens. And showing off all your friends who stick with you and are richly rewarded. Bush f*cked that up when he invaded Iraq and screwed his allies. Obama, for all his idiocy, is far more businessman-like. And to put it to you frankly, the game of geopolitics IS a gang war. The UN is a gang. The US is a gang. The European Union is a gang. They all are gangs.

they won't be treated badly in our gang. you only need see this picture to see what happens when you join our gang.

CHina is in our gang too. They're just don't play along as much.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
he has (kim) allways known his country would be wiped off the map if he tried anything so using any weapons he developed has never been an option. Its just been a case of tryin to look strong and defient against the west in the eyes of the international community. Yes, he is on his way out, and he probably dosent want to leave a legasy of hate and lost dreams as in the bush jr/sr senario. Would you? Fair play to him, dont think he ever had any ill intentions, just couldnt look weak infront of the international communities. Iran is another matter. They are messed up. not the citizens, the mad mullahs and ahmudinijad or whatever he is called. a hole springs to mind

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

The US and North Korea agreed on the need to resume the nuclear negotiations during a trip by Barack Obama's special envoy to Pyongyang in December, but North Korea did not make a firm commitment on when it would rejoin the talks.

Kim is saying he just wants money from the US. Lots of money. No nuclear concessions! Don't be silly, Barack! We want Peace!, Nucs and Dollars!

At least Kim has a sense of humor!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Is this just N.Korea looking for more attention to gain more concessions, or the real deal this time...

....Is Kim dead and the generals had enough of the charade, or maybe they have gone bust (like the Soviets) so want peace rather than starvation of the elite.

If they're bust then it's either war or peace, and I hope they are really choosing peace.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Perhaps they are really desperate. But then maybe they just afraid we give nukes to South Korea or at least give the technology. Seriously you think they would give up something they coveted for many years? A nuclear weapon that can act as a deterrent and concessions forever. Give me 1 million and I'll disarm. Oops let me recalculate ahh yes I meant 1 billion. oops again I meant 1 trillion, are you refusing to give me the money, you know what that means, I have to sell nukes or technology related to keep my family fed so pay up buster.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Didn't Slick Willy Clinton just spring those two girl "reporters or something" that were nabbed on the Chinese border or something?

For some reason the Keeper has a good idea.

Another thing about that country though, have you ever seen any pictures of the people?

All of them are rail thin. Not saying we Americans are the epitomes of health, but I swear I heard every man, woman and child gets a ration of 900 calories a day for food.

Sometimes with my banter on the problems in the US, I am glad as hell I was never born in that country.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Kim is dying fast. His son has no power base or personal loyalties. Probably even the higher ups hate the family. A cabal of wealthy patrons, generals, maybe Chinese agents, are almost for certain pulling the strings in North Korea by now.

China may have announced they'll pull the plug totally and stop providing food and fuel. Maybe just the luxury tiems they let pass through to help Kim maintain his coterie.

There are revenue streams form nuclear technologies, black market phony currencies, probably things like human body parts, and who knows what other illegal activities.

It's all about keeping from complete disintegration, widespread starvation, rioting in the streets.

Good chance the US is being called in to save a terminal patient.

M

top topics

<<   2 >>

join