It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the world move on from religion??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This is my fist thread on ATS (apart from my introduction of course) and I want to start it with the question “can the world ever move on from religion?. If so would it actually be a good thing? Personally im kind of in the middle on this question because I really do like to think that if we ever did move on from it and it became a thing of the past that finally the world can become a better place again.

Im talking about us as a whole moving on from believing that someone else is controlling our fate, our world our life and accepting that we have far more control over our lives. I just can’t believe that this one person decides all of our fates and he creates us etc.

Now Im not trying to offend anyone who does believe in God or anything in fact I used to be Christian myself (from my choice not my parents) but I do truly believe that now it’s something that holds us back greatly. I mean it teaches us to be against gay people for example but I can’t help thinking but they are still people so why should you be against them when God supposedly loves all people and the bible teaches you to love and forgive peoples wrongs etc.

And what about all the deaths caused because of religious crusades over the years aswell and I can’t help thinking but God loves all people so why would he want you to go kill people because they think differently. It just doesn’t make much sense to me really.

Now I may be sounding extremely Naïve making this thread but im living in hope that finally we people can move on in the world and accept the control that in my opinion they so definitely have and advance themselves spiritually.

(Im not sure exactly where to put this thread so im placing it in General Conspiracies)

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
As long as people have something to follow, they will.

I agree with you, to a great extent. We need to teach tolerance. Not only that, but if the Christian God is the one true God, and everything else is "the occult".....Then studying other religions and intergrating them into your faith is essentially a ticket to Hell.

Your spirituality should come from yourself, and wht you feel. Not what someone has written.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

And what about all the deaths caused because of religious crusades over the years aswell and I can’t help thinking but God loves all people so why would he want you to go kill people because they think differently. It just doesn’t make much sense to me really.

[)

Look into the Catholic church as it is described in the Book of Revelation,("the harlot","drunk with the blood of the saints"...)

This is not "Christianity" in the sense of being a follower of the Lord,Jesus Christ!

Many people confuse this important difference,and I believe it it by design,to give "Christians" a bad name!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Can we do without religion? As a definition we might say that;

Religion is an effort to create an ordered structure of beliefs and convictions, a a canonical form that establishes adherence through the observance of a proclaimed set of rules ordaining the nature of that belief and conviction and, in the case of physical observance, in rituals.

Religion does not require a deity, but a 'supernatural' element must be associated with the belief and conviction for it to be deemed 'religious' as opposed to just political. Small wonder that religion and politics have been so closely intertwined in human history.

If we do without the 'supernatural' aspect we just have politics. Is that what we really want?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think you are merging belief in God and religion in to one category here when they are not the same. I believe in God but I also completely believe that we should move on from the restraints of religion and stop being so close minded. To answer your question though I don't see this happening any time soon, it is a very big ship to try to sink.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Well I do hope that at some point humanity realizes that we are ourselves powerful beings and that we don’t need to look for a God to make a quick fix in our lives. We have far more control than we give ourselves credit for.

Although don’t get me wrong im not labelling all Christians to be this way but at least some do just devote their lives to something that they don’t even know is true. God and religion is something someone told them and there is as far as I can see no proof that anything that happened in the bible is true.

So it sad really that people will blindly follow something without questioning it and will again blindly fight for that belief with no solid proof of validity what so ever.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WeShallBeFree

Yes id agree with the first part to be honest im not disputing that a God actually does exist because well who am i to say he does or doesnt really. I have no proof that he doesnt or that he does.

But yes its religion that i feel should become a thing of the past and give ourselves a chance to improve spiritually.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well i am in my mid 30's, and i will believe in jesus till the day i die. So lets say thats 30-40 yearsleft in my life.

People should just accept that people will not give up there believe in god, no matter how many planks like dawkins(with his pink elephants routine in debates, without ever debating any real good creationist).

So religion or belief in god, will be with me till the day i die, do not know about you guys, but for me it will. Thats all anyone really can say.

[edit on 1/1/2010 by andy1033]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Well seriously that’s good for you and I hope you know that im not trying to offend anyone who does believe in religion or God and that the point’s im trying to make is I believe that we can maybe advance better if we try to realize that we have more control over our lives and that we are powerful beings.

So im just trying to provoke some thought on the subject and nothing like bashing religions or anything

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
"The Pope:World Political Power"

www.thenewamerican.com...

"Religion",in the name of the Catholic church,is set to make a terrible comeback!

Yes,"Religion" is being used to guide "the masses"!

You think you don't care for "religion" now,just wait!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

To answer your question.....yes the world can and will move on from religion...

Religions have been set up around the world to keep the masses in a fearful and obedient state of mind...so they are more easily controlled....

With the energies that are now coming to earth from the galactic center that are raising our vibration and activating our dna......the collective conscious is waking from their slumber...

The power structures around the world are starting to crumble as the masses awake from their lessons in duality.....religions have served their purpose to help us grow spiritually but are now no longer needed...

People are starting to see that we are all connected...what we do to our brothers and sisters in foreign lands, we do to ourselves...

As we move into 2010 the veil of duality is thinning....we are starting to remember who we truly are...

Soon, when we look in the mirror, we will finally say; there is the god I have been searching for my whole life...

PEACE and LOVE...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

famous quote from MC Ice cube " if your scared, go to church!"
. We can always find other things to believe in besides religion.

Edit: $&F for you.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There is obviously a LOT of money and power to be gained by getting people to believe in organized religion, and always has been.

The only motivation anyone has for spreading the actual truth, is to spread the actual truth.

The wolves will always by default be more focused and willful in preying upon the sheep, than the shepherds will be at saving them. There will always be more sheep than shepherds or wolves.

So my answer is no, not unless something extremely revolutionary happens. Just like the Stephen King novel The Stand, the shepherds have no chance of beating the wolves unless the sheep were completely removed from the equation - because the sheep will always be more willing to give away their power to the wolves than to learn to have power over themselves from the shepherds.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by maus80]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I pray that the world never moves on from religion. Who would want to live in such a place?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by moonleaf

I can absolutely promise you that all species on Earth very much want to continue to live here, or else they would not. The only species that has shown that it has the will and ability to end its own stay on this planet is humans, and much of that can be blamed on organized religion -ie- a refusal to face facts and accept the present situation, a feeling of being given and having a right to all of the planets resources, and a belief that the real deal doesn't even start until after we are dead.

Oh, and I can't forget this insane belief many have that our destruction is fated, and out of our hands. Giving away their power and therefor their sense of responsibility, it's what sheep do.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by maus80]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonleaf
I pray that the world never moves on from religion. Who would want to live in such a place?

Me, a world without religion would help sort a lot of our current problems, terrorism, the Israeli Palistinian situation, bigotory, hatered towards homosexuals, Religious corruption, Catholic Child abuse, Fundementalism and racism.

would the world be a better place without these things, you would hope so

top topics

join