It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over One Million Iraqi Deaths Caused by US Occupation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Over One Million Iraqi Deaths Caused by US Occupation

Over one million Iraqis have met violent deaths as a result of the 2003 invasion, according to a study conducted by the prestigious British polling group, Opinion Research Business (ORB). These numbers suggest that the invasion and occupation of Iraq rivals the mass killings of the last century—the human toll exceeds the 800,000 to 900,000 believed killed in the Rwandan genocide in 1994, and is approaching the number (1.7 million) who died in Cambodia’s infamous “Killing Fields” during the Khmer Rouge era of the 1970s.

ORB’s research covered fifteen of Iraq’s eighteen provinces. Those not covered include two of Iraq’s more volatile regions—Kerbala and Anbar—and the northern province of Arbil, where local authorities refused them a permit to work. In face-to-face interviews with 2,414 adults, the poll found that more than one in five respondents had had at least one death in their household as a result of the conflict, as opposed to natural cause.

Is there any doubt our involvement there will have a lasting impact that spans generations?

Good grief. I sincerely hope it was worth it....

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm still researching the numbers and I see that depending upon the source they are all over the map. Regardless, I still think the general point still stands...

This war has come with a hefty price....

[edit on 1-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
And you know, Loam, they are human beings with feelings, families, and the desire to live. It tears me apart.
We are going to pay for this somehow, if not by other countries, it will be a much deserved tribulation in this country.

There isnt a tidal wave tall enough to compensate for these crimes!!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Being that this War was started on a lie. And the only people on the planet

who don't know this are US citizens, is it any wonder peoples all

over the globe hate the US. Shocking thing is , this is just a start'

Afgan, Yemen possibily Iran. Imagine what a peaceful Planet it would be,

Without the US.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Here's a couple of source, tho I doubt you're going to like them.

abcnews.go.com...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

hotair.com...

The last one is a blog which pointed me in the direction of the first two sources.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I'm just curious what threshold in casualty numbers you think needs to be crossed in order to trigger the 'lasting' consequences I mention?

[edit on 1-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I'm just curious what threshold in casualty numbers you think needs to be crossed in order to trigger the 'lasting' consequences I mention?

I'm just curious as to when people are going to realize that it's not US or Coalition forces that are killing everyone in Iraq. I have a hunch that the insurgents have a little bit to do with it.

Explain this to me: How is setting off a car bomb at a mosque or market and killing women and children "striking a blow against the infidel Crusaders?"

The insurgents haven't gotten the memo yet that their bombings are doing nothing more than keeping US forces in country longer.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

How many insurgents were there in Iraq before we toppled Saddam's government?

Seems to me the cure was far worse than the disease.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
As much as the occupation is at fault for these terrible figures the role of cowardly "militia" aka plain terrorists blowing themselves up in crowded markets for maximum casualties must also be noted.

War... its #.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Beautifully stated ! This is an appalling figure and should cast serious doubt on the US initiative. Someone has to answer for this. Oh wait would that be the 4k+ dead US troops then ? The answer is of course somewhat simple. Stay out of the affairs of others and mind yer own damn business.

brill

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
reply to post by loam

Being that this War was started on a lie. And the only people on the planet

who don't know this are US citizens, is it any wonder peoples all

over the globe hate the US. Shocking thing is , this is just a start'

Afgan, Yemen possibily Iran. Imagine what a peaceful Planet it would be,

Without the US.

I think your comment is well intentioned however you alienate those in the US by blaming them. We face a collective battle and it knows no boarders. Other governments support the US efforts probably including your own. Unfortunately, you are just as powerless to change your own governments plight as the citizens of America are to change their governments direction.

I would like to propose an alternative that it is not the US that is the problem, but all those across the world in positions of power that see war, violence and force as a means to keep us safe, that are the problem. Those that oppose peace are the problem. Those that constantly yell "kill" as a response to any problem they encounter.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Lets not forget the depleted uranium and many other things I can mention that people may or may not be aware of.

[edit on 1/1/2010 by arcana_imperii]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
According to our good friends in the CIA the conventional wisdom has been since 1980 that the key to maintaining Israel’s military dominance in the Middle East is neutralizing Iraq through warfare, attrition and internal upheaval.

This is evidenced in these 1980 Freedom of Information Act released documents.

Iraq has long been considered the only nation in the region that could truly tip the scales by weighing in with any combination of other Arab or Islamic Nations against Israel.

Without Iraqi participation no other combination of states can field enough military assets and personnel against Israel to overcome its Military dominance and hegemony.

Full Iraqi participation in a battle against Israel is believed capable of tipping the balance in the Arab and Islamic States favor.

This is why since 1980 Iraq has been constantly embroiled in some form of hostility employed against it.

It’s all here in black and white.

[edit on 1/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

But guess what? The US is there now, so it's a problem to be dealt with.

Once again, I ask, what will the insurgents gain by blowing up innocent women and children instead of killing The Infidel?

That all depends on if you or your family were one of the ones riding high on the Saddam Wave and enjoying all the perks therein, or were being fed to woodchippers, tortured because you lost a soccer match, or had your mom/sister kidnapped off the street and raped because one of his ass-hat kids took a liking to them.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
reply to post by loam

Here's a couple of source, tho I doubt you're going to like them.

abcnews.go.com...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

hotair.com...

The last one is a blog which pointed me in the direction of the first two sources.

So this is what the Brain Cramps think is worth Starring.

Incredible , You show links that show at 2006 the numbers of EXCESS

deaths at under 700,000 , and that makes people on ATS feel warm

and Fuzzy??

See were not bad , We only Slaughtered 700,000, not 1 Million.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I'm just curious as to when people are going to realize that it's not US or Coalition forces that are killing everyone in Iraq. I have a hunch that the insurgents have a little bit to do with it.

Everyone knows that most of the deaths are from other Iraqis, but when you invade a country, you become responsible for everyone's security. Even Cheney knew the country was a powder keg, but we invaded anyway. Just because our troops are not doing the killing does not make these numbers any less relevant.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have never posted on this subject before and most likely will not do it again because I am not into conflict. But you know what I would have liked to have seen BEFORE we (USA) moved in. What did the people of Iraq want? Did they want us there? If things were so bad why did they not fight back against Saddam and his deranged kids. The problem I am having is this.
1 helpless people getting killed, kids, woman, men.
2. Bush LIED to the American people to get (see number 1) oil?
3. This region of the world have been at war with each other for 2000 + years. The region is nuts just look what happened today, new years day.
news.yahoo.com...

Ripley said it best, lets just take off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
What sucks the most about this for me is, it is because of the military heads, political leaders, and the financiers that cause this bloodshed. It is not the majority interest of the people of this country that wish such hatred to that country and it's people. I am anxiously waiting for the 1000 years of peace that are presumed to follow.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
So this is what the Brain Cramps think is worth Starring.

Incredible , You show links that show at 2006 the numbers of EXCESS

deaths at under 700,000 , and that makes people on ATS feel warm

and Fuzzy??

See were not bad , We only Slaughtered 700,000, not 1 Million.

Did you actually read those sources?? I wonder what "Brain cramp" starred your post.

Go back and re-read them. They say that the methodology for arriving at that 655,000 number is questionable.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Explain this to me: How is setting off a car bomb at a mosque or market and killing women and children "striking a blow against the infidel Crusaders?"

The insurgents haven't gotten the memo yet that their bombings are doing nothing more than keeping US forces in country longer.

They are wearing us down, our troops our committing suicide and we have spent more on this war than the proposed Health care bill in less time. They keep up the chaos
we will stay, Obama brings the troops home they will fall into civil war resulting in genocide or mass casualties , so my savior likely does not want to blamed for that.

To expect that these people will not fight back is magical thinking... would you tolerate
Iraqi troops in your land? What would you do to expel them?

Thats your answer

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

This war has come with a hefty price....

Wars normally come with a hefty price. This one is no different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join