It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The move Avatar has changed me

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Really, so the utter propagandist motive behind the movie worked?

I hate to pimp another thread but you need to read this thread. It may change your mind.

Here you go-Does "Avatar" Contain Hidden Messages?

Ok, the 'hidden messages' you refer to are:
ANTI-WAR - well, great... shouldn't that be a good thing?

PRO-ENVIRONMENT - again, last time I checked, caring for mother nature around us was supposed to be a good thing!?!?!

RACIST - that's stupid. The film wasn't racist. That's just one film critic's warped perspective.

If there was a 'hidden message', that entire thread is completely barking up the wrong tree. The hidden message many people are coming away talking about, was Sigourney Weaver's role as Grace the cutting-edge scientist who tries to persuade the 'bad guy' humans that all living things are connected and have a consciousness and can retain memory, and that mining Pandora will destroy the shared hive of consciousness that the Naavi are able to tap into. Yet she was dismissed as a nutbag by the gung-ho Americans.. turns out she was right and the movie is putting a little bit of truth out there in the mainstream, and it's resonating with the theatre-goers

This is scientific fact. DimensionalDetective recently did an excellent thread on quantum communication, where the energy antennas of people could be scientifically measured. There was another thread somewhere on water and the 'memory imprint' it has that changes its properties depending on the type of environment it's been in.

Now *that's* the kind of message that's coming through in the film, that we are connected through life and consciousness, and science is beginning to prove this.

And this is why people are coming away from this movie as a changed being. They are being enlightened.

By the way, do get to see it in 3D if you can!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Really, so the utter propagandist motive behind the movie worked?

I hate to pimp another thread but you need to read this thread. It may change your mind.

Also, have you seen the supposed children's movie Planet 51? It may just as well been the exact same movie only more blatant.

Tell me what you think after reading the OP's initial post. I find it hard to believe people cannot see the propaganda being pimped in almost every movie and every TV show now.

It is more glamorous now but the correlation to the propaganda movies of the 40's and 50's is obvious. It is amazing how what you come away with is this feeling. I watched it elsewhere, maybe I did not get the full effect of the brainwash.

Here you go-Does "Avatar" Contain Hidden Messages?

who cares if its propaganda.

the movies message is to respect nature and not exploit everything.

if more people lived that way the world would be a nicer place.

if it changes people, GOOD.

sometimes the side effects of things can be good. regardless of the intent behind it.

e.g. going into iraq is wrong, but if women get liberated from oppression in the process, then that is a good side effect, regardless of the intentions of the people who organised it etc.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I've seen Avatar and I think it does contain messages, but no sublime ones.

The main ones [SPOILER WARNING]:

1) people should not think they are better than animals in any way
2) poeple should not think they are better than "locals" because they are "technology" advanced and the locals are primitive
3) people should not hold to primitive description of "life", humans couldn't accept the fact that the planet itself is concious

So... what are the "bad" messages? I've read in ATS that is encourages communism, want to stip western civilization off its status and so on. Rubbish I say.

Remember that an insecure being will go to any length to feel secure. That's why we kill indigeneus people, start wars and "convert" others to "our" religion.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Google "pantheism" ... aka, satanism.

Only Jesus saves brother.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

Excellent handle shai hulud and excellent breakdown. I actually liked the visual effects but thought the propaganda was over the top.

We are all evil so to destroy many of us, is okay.

I feel the epitome of evil is being shown to those not gullible enough to fall for the false paradigm.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RiotComing

Yes, now that I read through SKL's thread a little deeper, I find it wanting a little. As for seeing the movie in 3D. Hell no.

I do not go to quasi mind control places anymore. I watch them elsewhere. That is all I will say how I watched the movie.

I found the movie to be lacking in a real plot anyway. Humans are bad and the planet is good.

I feel humans need to pollute as little as possible. I feel the problems are the corporations and government not the people.

One thing that really bugs me about the people that have gone, you have done it as well, you state; almost to the exact words the same thing as everyone else that has seen it.

"You must really go see it in a 3D theater." Almost like a mantra. It is kind of very spooky. Maybe my paranoia is shining through.

I am one of the most diehard Sci Fi fans out there. I love the Sci Fi, Fantasy and Alternate Reality genre's. But I feel the subliminal and blatant propaganda messages in the current heap of my favorite movie genre's to be repulsive.

A huge step back for Sci Fi lovers. Friends on another favorite site of mine felt they did not really like the movie but for some reason felt compelled to suggest it to friends.

Creepy.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I would like to point few things I did NOT like about the movie:
- conflict based story telling
- lots of violence
- monetary system propaganda - in future 150 years from now there will be no need for money
- double rebirth of Jake - propaganda of changing your natural body to a better one. In Matrix the message was - "It is NOT good idea to live in another reality and another (virtual) body - it is better to live in A REAL WORLD - however hard it is". Avatar message is - it is ok do damp your real body in exchange for more advanced life style.

I would also like to point out few things I did like:
- the different path of evolution of life on Pandora - it is more advantageous... as long as it is alive, because all life sees itself as ONE. This is also disadvantage - when physically disconnected (access points destroyed) it loses its advantage and is life similar to one on Earth with many fractional primitive tribes (civilisations).
- The Parable of Tribes - selection of power - when too civilizations (tribes or life forms) want the same thing, comes the necessity for power. The social selection favors more powerful - in this case Life on Pandora.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I thought this was a horrible video game. Sure looks like one.
I will wait till it hits the SyFY channel (perhaps after Rock Monster or Mega
Shark Giant Octopus) to make my assessment. The movie that changed me was Spaceballs. The way Lord Helmet and Colonel Sanders actually had a copy of Spaceballs the movie before it came out was to me representing that, TPTB know time travel is real. brilliant!!

"When will THEN be NOW"......

"Soon".

Why is this on Above Top Secret?!
Cause you felt an emotion after seeing a movie?!

[edit on 2-1-2010 by keepureye2thesky]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Everything truly is connected in the grand scheme of things.... and on our world. Yes, it has absolutely changed me for the better. I too agree, and see how dark the human spirit can be. But also how beautiful we are, and the capabilities of the human spirit. It is time to take a stance in this world and fight oppression and tyranny. To become more spiritual in the sense that we respect this Mother Earth of ours... and to respectfully share our existence among other living creatures of this planet. Have we forgotten we all come from the same place... the same womb of existence?

I applaud this movie! I feel a great shift in consciousness in the world today, and I truly see things beginning to change for the better! We must do everything in our power to keep this ball rolling. Great thread OP, S+F

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

reply to post by RiotComing

One thing that really bugs me about the people that have gone, you have done it as well, you state; almost to the exact words the same thing as everyone else that has seen it.

"You must really go see it in a 3D theater." Almost like a mantra. It is kind of very spooky. Maybe my paranoia is shining through.

Creepy.

Well, I would say that not just about Avatar, but LOTS of things. About 5 years ago, i bought a set of Edimensional LCD shutter glasses for my pc gaming. You should've heard me raving about them... playing FPS games such as Painkiller, that had the same depth of field as in Avatar in 3D, in fact you could even adjust the depth to suit your tastes. Ever since then, I've had a passion for seeing things in 3D/virtual reality... long, long before the likes of Avatar. I think this technology should've come out decades ago.

Then you should've heard me raving at work after watching 'My Bloody Valentine' in 3D on blu ray in 1080p on my 60" Bravia!!!!!!! WOW!!! In this coming year, 3D tv will be a big thing, Sony and Panasonic's new range for 2010 will be 3D-capable for 3D blu ray and television transmissions - currently under testing from ESPN and also in Finland. A massive amount of movies this year will come out in 3D and will also be in the new 3D blu ray format - requiring only a firmware update on the PS3. This is where the future is - so yeah you're right, it is a mantra. Mind you, I've never been satisfied with normal tv - I've always wondered why we've been held back for many years and not have some kind of really cool virtual reality experience when the technology obviously exists in a form palatable for the consumer - the Edimensional glasses were proof positive of that.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by RiotComing]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
i just got from seeing the movie...3D too, never done that before. It was an extremely great put together flick. It did give me a sensation watching it. 5 stars for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i pretty much cried the whole time.. its such an amazing movie, i saw it last night and i am going again tonight.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

This movie also affected me on a level I can't describe. I think every politician and corporate executive should see AVATAR and understand its message. This has to be James Cameron's crowning achievement. He is pure genius and what a masterful job he did of getting a truly important message out to the masses.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FIFIGI
I would like to point few things I did NOT like about the movie:
- conflict based story telling
- lots of violence
- monetary system propaganda - in future 150 years from now there will be no need for money
- double rebirth of Jake - propaganda of changing your natural body to a better one. In Matrix the message was - "It is NOT good idea to live in another reality and another (virtual) body - it is better to live in A REAL WORLD - however hard it is". Avatar message is - it is ok do damp your real body in exchange for more advanced life style.

I am not sure what you mean by 'conflict based story telling", or I am not seeing the bad of it. Most, if not all, stories involve conflict of one type or another. Could you explain this a bit?

Violence was in the film, but I felt it was at a certain level of appropriateness. There was even a nice dialog involving violence "This is a sad thing".

Not sure I agree with you on the money thing. 150 years in the future, I would expect space to be full privitized, and every corporation is about turning a profit. Why do you think we will no longer have money, or is that just wishful thinking?

Now, the last part. I need to disagree on. Jack would be dead if that did not happen. He gave up everything he had to help the natives, and could only do so because of the avatar. How would he be expected to move around in the jungle in his natural body? He can't use the wheel chair. He can't go home to get an operation. He can't ride any of the animals. He can't navigate the trees. This would ensure his death - there is no way around that. How exactly would you reconcile this?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Such a bunch of paranoid people on here, but then it is ATS ...

The movie is nobody's propaganda. Its the producer's admitted attempt to outdo Starwars. To make more money. To make a bigger impact and have bigger bragging rights.

Sort of the same as Sacha Barron Cohen's look at my big penis movies that someone brought up.

I've seen it twice now in 3D. The second time I was even more impressed with the lifelike animation; right down to the pulsing vein in Jake's Avatar's neck. The story line is less impressive. I personally prefer some of the "foreign" (i.e. not American) movies that just give you a slice of gritty reality; at least in terms of human emotions.

Relax. There is no subliminal voodoo going on here. Mostly just entertainment exploiting subjects like war and the environment that are of interest to a lot of people these days.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

And thats not a bad thing is it? Being respectful of nature...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Hey there Haydn - You're not alone.
You and a few thousand other people have felt 'something' from watching this movie. Back when I was watching Avatar trailers and youtubes of the theme music, dozens of people in the comment sections were posting about how they felt a longing, felt connected more with nature, and wanted to strive towards better things on earth... among many other feelings.

Also, new Avatar related sites are popping up every day~

forums...

fan sites...
Naviblue.com

even places to learn the Na'vi language...
Learnnavi.org

And as far as any tricky subliminal message being in the movie... well, then our POTUS is screwed too, lol~
NYTimes.com

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

I just got through watching Land of the Lost, and learned to never trust anybody wearing a tunic. Plenty of lessons to be learned while watching any movie.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There is a very important message in the movie. Nature is not only alive but it has a consciousness.

This movie WILL change people and even may change the Earth. The way it may do this is through consciousness itself. When enough people focus on the same 'idea' it has the power to materialize. So, many people are now looking at the idea that it DOES make a difference how you relate to nature and the planet. This may help open a dialog between the planet and ourselves or help everyone to treat the planet with more respect. Mass consciousness is a very powerful thing. Studies have been done...an auditorium full of people thinking about the same outcome made a very large impact on the experiment. Now think about ALL of the millions of people who have seen Avatar. When they all believe or start to question their own individual realities....just imagine the possibilities!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Personally, I'm majorly distrustful and suspicious of anything that people instantly cling to, harp on, and are socially ostracized for disagreeing with...such as new religious conversions, An Inconvenient Truth, Obama, and this movie.

It's obvious propaganda, as is anything with a "message" that we should think or behave in a certain way. It just so happens that most people in our culture presently agree with this "message" so it's thought of as ok.

It also happens that the message of this movie involves a hefty amount of self loathing, and as loam put so succinctly, "self loathing is big business" these days.

I won't be contributing my $11 to James Cameron's next Battleship Potemkin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join