It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will 2010 be the year?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
More and more Americans believe in CONSPIRACIES. That’s great news for ATS. We should see growth over the next 12 months. See the article here…

www.wnd.com...

An excerpt…

America becoming conspiracy nation
Survey finds growing numbers seeking alternative explanations

© 2009 WorldNetDaily.com

If you believe the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon came without any specific warning, a new poll says the person on your left and the person on your right think you're wrong.
Almost two-thirds of Americans think it is possible some officials in the federal government had specific information about the pending attacks, but chose to ignore it and take no action to protect the country, according to a Scripps Howard News Service/Ohio University poll.
The national survey of more than 800 U.S. adults conducted by Scripps Survey Research Center at Ohio University echoes a similar one by the same organization in 2006 that found more than a third of Americans believing the U.S. government somehow assisted in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, or else took no steps to stop them from occurring, so the Bush administration could launch a war in the Middle East.
In the most recent poll, researchers found more than one-third of Americans subscribe to a range of conspiracy theories, including the 9/11 attacks, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, soaring oil prices and UFOs.

= = = = =

Some of the highlights include:

Eighty percent of survey participants, when asked if oil companies are conspiring to keep gasoline prices high, said it was "somewhat likely" or "very likely" they are.
"People look at the huge profits and put two and two together," said Tyson Slocum, director of the Energy Program of Public Citizen, the consumer watchdog organization founded by Ralph Nader. "'Those high prices I'm paying are fueling those profits.'"
While only 44 percent of respondents said it was "somewhat likely" or "very likely" some people in the federal government knew about the assassinaton of President Kennedy in advance, it surpassed the 40 percent who believed a government conspiracy was "not likely."
"I'm amazed that it's as high as it is," said Vincent Bugliosi, whose recently published "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy" concludes Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in the murder of Kennedy.
Thirty-five percent of respondents believe it "somewhat likely" or "very likely" flying saucers are real and that the federal government is hiding the truth about them, while 50 percent believe it "not likely."
The numbers believing in a government UFO conspiracy have fallen from 50 percent in 1995, a drop indicating people have more immediate things to worry about, political science professor Jodi Dean told Scripps Howard.
"The kind of anxieties or mistrust of the government that might have been expressed as a belief in UFOs has shifted," said Dean. "Now people are worried about things that are much realer to them.
"In both instances, it's a case of mistrusting government," she said.

= = = = = = =

Dean is a professor at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in New York and author of "Aliens in America: Conspiracy Cultures from Outerspace to Cyberspace."

= = = = = =

1) Which conspiracies will be revealed this year?
2) Which new ones will be created?
3) Which would you like to come true?

Happy New Year all!!

OT

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Found more here:

www.scrippsnews.com...

Poll probes Americans' belief in UFOs, life on other planets
Submitted by SHNS on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 17:33 By THOMAS HARGROVE and GUIDO H. STEMPEL III, Scripps Howard News Service national ShareThis Most Americans say it is very likely or somewhat likely that humans are not alone in the universe and that intelligent life exists on other planets.Only a third of adults, however, believe it's either very likely or somewhat likely that intelligent aliens from space have visited our planet, according to a survey of 1,003 adults conducted by Scripps Howard News Service and Ohio University. The poll revealed that one in every 12 Americans has seen a mysterious object in the sky that might have been a visitor from another world, while nearly one in every five personally knows someone who has seen an unidentified flying object.America's fascination with UFO sightings has been robust, dating at least back to 1947 with the discovery of unusual objects near Roswell, N.M., that many claimed were the remnants of an extraterrestrial craft that crashed.Among the ranks who have seen something strange in the sky are former President Jimmy Carter, the late Beatle John Lennon and the late comedian Jackie Gleason.One of the largest mass sightings on record -- the so-called "Phoenix Lights" that hovered for several hours over two or three Southwestern states on March 13, 1997 -- was even seen by then-Arizona Gov. Fife Symington.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Thanks OT! Great thread!

There is no doubt in my mind that more and more people are relying on information sources rather than the government and MSM to gain insights and formulate theories about the true nature of events.

I think this is mostly due to the internet. The ability for so much information to be accessed by anyone within seconds has no doubt helped people get a broader view and perspective on how the world really works.

I think articles and polls like these really do make a strong statement about how people are starting to change the ways they view society and the world- I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 12 months these figures will rise even more.

In fact I actually expect them to.

[edit on 1/1/1010 by Monts]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
Thanks OT! Great thread!

There is no doubt in my mind that more and more people are relying on information sources rather than the government and MSM to gain insights and formulate theories about the true nature of events.

I think this is mostly due to the internet.

Monts, star for you! Thx for the response...most certainly, this internet has brought more information to the masses in the last 10 tens than in all of history before it...

OT

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Guys, any thoughts on the OP's statistics?

OT

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I found this one... on oil...

The Greatest Conspiracy of the Last Century
At the time of our entry into World War I our citizens and soldiers were told that "The War to End All Wars" was being fought to "Make the World Safe For Democracy." Later historians pointed out the root cause of World War I was trade rivalry between Great Britain and Germany. I.e., World War I was fought over money.

Shortly after our entry into World War II our citizens and soldiers were told that the War was being fought to "stop Nazi aggression" and to "stop the monster Adolf Hitler." Over sixty years later we are still being told the same thing.

As the historians who dissected the root cause of World War I proved, wars are not fought over ideology. Wars are fought over money.

What if World War II was fought to preserve oil company profits? Sound far-fetched? Let’s look at some of the evidence.

The Rockefeller-controlled Standard Oil
John D. Rockefeller got his start selling crude oil as a cure for constipation. Out of that humble "snake oil" beginning evolved our modern pharmaceutical industry.

The cotton gin had been invented in 1791. Up until that time a lot of clothing had been made from the hemp or marijuana plant. Hemp was and is 26 times more durable than cotton. The cotton could be processed by machine. Hemp couldn’t. Then, in the early 1930s, International Harvester built a machine that would process hemp. It was in the early 1930s that the petroleum industry introduced synthetic fabrics, such as nylon and rayon. Then, in 1937, Congress passed the Marijuana Stamp Tax Act. If you wanted hemp, even for clothing, you had to pay a $100 a pound tax. This was in the days when a brand new car cost $900.

Prior to World War II petroleum had competition for use as a fuel. Chrysler was shipping cars to New Zealand equipped to run on alcohol. In the Philippines everything up to and including locomotives ran on alcohol made from sugar cane. Europeans ran a tank full of alcohol through their automobiles on a semi-annual basis in order to clean the carbon off their cylinder heads.

The Chinese were running their diesels on tung (vegetable) oil. Every farm in America had a steam engine. The fuel for the boiler was wood, corn stover, or the like.

On December 7, 1941 we were dragged into World War II. Supposedly the Japanese had previously invaded Manchuria, a program we allegedly interfered with, in a search for oil. At least, that’s what we’re told.

However, when our Marines opened drums marked "Aviation Fuel" written in Japanese at Guadalcanal, what they found was alcohol. The Japanese Zero, a wooden airplane with a nine-cylinder radial copied from our Pratt & Whitney engines, ran on alcohol. The Zero could outrun and outclimb anything we had at the beginning of the War. Alcohol allows the use of a higher compression in the engine, runs cooler, and permits higher rpms.

During the War the government sent people around to collect steam engines from farms in order to melt them down into planes, ships, tanks, and guns. Whether this was actually necessary was a dubious proposition. Henry Ford, for example, unloaded iron ore in one end of his factory and spit completed machines out the other. Ford’s Willow Run plant alone produced 1,000 B-29 bombers a month. It is unlikely that an occasional melted-down steam engine would have provided that much extra iron for the war effort.

The War ended in 1945. By 1946 a steam locomotive had reached such a level of efficiency that it took only a cup of water and a pound of coal to move one ton one mile on the rails.

That same year the rest of the world was using petroleum products for fuel exclusively. The last steam locomotive was built in the United States in 1947. The conversion to diesel, a petroleum product, was in progress.

Today steam is used only in large municipal power plants. A handful of people run their diesel cars on vegetable oil or their spark-ignition car engines on alcohol.

Was World War II fought to make the world safe for petroleum? And is the interest in alternative fuels partially responsible for the planned invasion of Iraq?

more here: www.mikebrownsolutions.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Hey, OT! Been awhile!

Anyway, as to what conspiracy I would just love to see proven true this year, I would have to pick the existance of UFO's and Extraterrestrials being made public... Maybe in the form of giant motherships floating above major cities of the world... wait, that never works out well for the human race on TV and in the movies... OK, maybe just a couple of small ones at the UN in New York City...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by OldThinker

Hey, OT! Been awhile!

Anyway, as to what conspiracy I would just love to see proven true this year, I would have to pick the existance of UFO's and Extraterrestrials being made public... Maybe in the form of giant motherships floating above major cities of the world... wait, that never works out well for the human race on TV and in the movies... OK, maybe just a couple of small ones at the UN in New York City...

Hey JR, yes been a while, hope your holiday went well....thx for responding, yes the UN hope would be neat to see.

What have you been up to?

OT

top topics

join