It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop spreading myths about global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The amount of global warming myths recentally are amazing

The following passage debunks various myths and half-truths about global warming found in the documentaries “An Inconvenient Truth” and “The great Global Warming Swindle” Along with many other myths found on various websites and Books such as
“The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism” and Rense.com

1. Half-truth; Mt Kilimanjaro glaciers are residing because of global warming. In fact the shrinkage is from Deforestation, There used to be a rainforest around Mt Kilimanjaro That released water into the air, Most of the water rained back down on the Rainforest but some snowed down on Mt Kilimanjaro. The rainforest around the mountain along with the rest of the rainforests in Africa have all but disappeared. No more moisture = no more glaciers.
2. The climate is changing and always will be. This Captain Obvious statement is often exploited by Uneducated Anti-environmentalists. The climate has always changed but rarely this fast. Climate change this fast needs an catastrophic event such as a meteorite impact or a Yellowstone/Krakatoa like eruption
3. Which brings me to the medieval warming period. The medieval warming period lasted 500 years and peaked at our current temperature. In the modern era on the other hand, we have reached the peak equivalent in about 60 years.
4. Most of the warming has happened before the Industrial revolution Based on graphs from NASA, according to “The great Global Warming Swindle”. In fact George Durkin drew the graph himself. And George Durkin’s “hero”, Friis Christianson a climate change skeptic complained about this manipulation.
5. Half-Truth; Water vapor causes most of the greenhouse gasses. It is true that if you remove all the water vapor you will have a severe ice age but that is also true for carbon dioxide. Water vapor is an amplifier for the effects of carbon dioxide and also one of the best.
6. Carbon Dioxide only increased 100ppm, but that is a rise from 280ppm to 370ppm.
7. Myth: Climate gate reviled that the climate scientists are creating a conspiracy of global warming. If 3 isolated phrases confirm a conspiracy you are wrong.
8. The recent temperature lows are not caused by an ice age but by the solar sunspot cycle and La Nina
9. True: Kyoto will only decrease carbon emissions one 1%
10. True: Al gores claim about Greenland melting and raising the sea level 20 feet will happen within a century or two
11. A still catastrophic rise of one meter is more realistic
12. The media has abandoned the global cooling from smog in the 1990s but the scientists didn’t take it seriously and did not publish it in any scientific journal.

China has cut its emissions by 19% during the five-year period that its economy grew by 36%

The US plans to cut between 17% and 20% reduction from 2005 levels of carbon emissions by 2020, which is very mediocre when toping Bush'es plan to cut emissions by 18% by 2012.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mantisfan72

HAHHAHA You do realize number 8 busts all your other points?

8. The recent temperature lows are not caused by an ice age but by the solar sunspot cycle and La Nina

If a less active solar cycle causes cooler temps, then a more active solar cycle will cause warmer weather.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am sorry, are you saying that Gore is correct about the rise of 20 feet across the globe.

I either cannot follow the way you posted this or you have some definite editing to be done.

Also, I have tried to find any evidence of increases in the oceans levels in current literature. Can you provide me proof of the rising ocean levels? I can find plenty of hysteria, I am just looking for some evidence of real numbers.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You should take your own advice and stop spreading bad information. Where is the evidence? Where is the science? Oh, that's right, scientists don't agree. People are so ignorant of how science works, they see this as some great conspiracy instead of what it should be, a scientific debate. But there's no room for debate when the money-making political schemes deep-six the scientific method and require global warming to be FACT. Conflict of interest anyone?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I am sorry, are you saying that Gore is correct about the rise of 20 feet across the globe.

I either cannot follow the way you posted this or you have some definite editing to be done.

Also, I have tried to find any evidence of increases in the oceans levels in current literature. Can you provide me proof of the rising ocean levels? I can find plenty of hysteria, I am just looking for some evidence of real numbers.

A simple search would take you to a wiki page that has hundreds of links of scientific studies and literature documenting the change in sea level.

Wikipedia - Current sea level rise

edited to add:

A change in sea level does not automatically support man made global warming. So, don't dismiss the rising sea levels studies over a biased opinion on global warming.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Kaploink]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

I am finding your responses unclear. I had found the wikipedia page before. Gore and his cohorts keep giving the devastating problems due to Global warming, will cause catastrophic global flooding. Nothing on that page comes even close to that asshats predictions.

What I also find odd, is that even the worst scenarios on that page do not even show a change in the rate(derivative) of ocean levels over the past 200 years.

I find it odd, that the more I investigate, the more I find the whole predilection of individuals that espouse this Global Warming drivel, to be totally suckered into the whole Church of Climatology teachings.

No substantial burden of proof and no correlation of causal effect.

First we must believe that the amount of CO2 that humans release(5% of the total) is absolutely causing Global Warming(still not proven), then we need to believe that ocean levels are going to rise at catastrophic rates.

I find it odd that the whole solution to the problems is to TAX.

Sounds like snake oil to me.

edit to fix a little gramma

[edit on 1/1/2010 by endisnighe]

top topics

join