It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If slavery was legalized [again], would you buy a slave?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
ok a what if.
Yes I would buy slaves if it was legal, I’d buy as many as I possibly could, and they would live freely on my land with my family. It would be like an extended family, I would be saving many from harsh masters and we would treat each other with respect. The same as if I was a slave, id hope that a loving caring family would buy me and my family as well.
If i had to pay for someone’s freedom i certainly would not hesitate to do so.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
In response let me answer it this way - if I ever come across a time machine all racists and slavers should prepare to die.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whatever 69
ok a what if.
Yes I would buy slaves if it was legal, I’d buy as many as I possibly could, and they would live freely on my land with my family. It would be like an extended family, I would be saving many from harsh masters and we would treat each other with respect. The same as if I was a slave, id hope that a loving caring family would buy me and my family as well.
If i had to pay for someone’s freedom i certainly would not hesitate to do so.

Whateva 69,

Sounds like you went to public school and got a television education Cinderella. This is a very lovely fantasy. It doesn't work out in practical every day terms because not everyone carries their weight. They often coast while others work their behinds off for them to be able to coast. The worst is when the coasters become leaders.

Where I work ...often the ones coasting are text messaging all day. Others often have to make up the difference. It would be no different with
slaves. As a matter of fact..by default ..the coasters enslave the workers here in the situation I am describing.

This is why I ask if you got this fantasy in public school with a television/movie education. It does not take into consideration the natural corruption of basic human nature. Slave or free.

Dramon,

In response let me answer it this way - if I ever come across a time machine all racists and slavers should prepare to die.

Did you go to public school too and get a television education?? In Drama techniques??

Racists ...today means anything someone PC desires to make it mean. Mostly I see it as part of a labeling of people who disagree with someone else. Same as disrespecting someone else...dissing.

These words are used to label or censor others..without thinking about the overall history or event the etymology of the words.

They also function, as you are doing, in an entitlement mentality. You are somehow entitled by your beliefs...over others.

That somehow by your beliefs you are entitled because you have the moral ethical high ground here. I don't think so. The extreme fantasy of time warp helps...ie time machine.

Time warp techniques are often used in conjunction with racism and slavery. I see this often. Sticking someone back into a time warp to make a point.

What it is ..in fact ..is an expression of powerlessness...that in order to feel powerful over others.....one has to stick others back in a time warp to make a point. To get over on others thinking they will not notice what is being done to them. To put them on the defensive.

Readers of threads like this one need to know this in order to spot it in many of the posts on ATS/BTS. People use this technique often. Even our politicians will use it on us in our ignorance in order to control us by our emotions. And many of us fall for it....without thinking.

But not all of us out here are emotional fantasy type train wrecks.

Would I own a slave..No not interested. I have enough difficulty with free people who have no skills trying to enslave me into doing free work for them.. for which they are not able to do for themselves. These "free people" are high maintenance. They can work the hell out of a telephone keypad or remote controller...but not take care of what is required to maintain themselves.
Slaves would be no different...high maintenance.

It is that simple for me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Omega, I would buy you as a slave, just to open your eyes on the whole idea of it. I would beat you and starve you just like slave owners did 200 years ago.

I would also buy as many slaves and make them free. I would prolly take out a HUGE loan and use it all on buying slaves freedom.

I can't believe I just answered such a disturbing question....Jeez.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jibblin

Omega, I would buy you as a slave, just to open your eyes on the whole idea of it. I would beat you and starve you just like slave owners did 200 years ago.

I would also buy as many slaves and make them free. I would prolly take out a HUGE loan and use it all on buying slaves freedom.

I can't believe I just answered such a disturbing question....Jeez.

Actually the truth is that not all slaves were starved or beaten. In fact many were treated very well. I don’t imagine you run your car on oil that you haven’t changed in 2 years or take your keys to the paint job do you?

Slaves were a valuable commodity and while some owners were cruel many were not.

Slavery dates back to the dawn of recorded history and was likely practiced well before that.

If you are a male, or know any men, and they are circumcised that was the traditional mark of a Jewish owned slave, at one point at the Roman Empire’s zenith 2 out of every 3 people in the city was a slave. The city held over a million people so we are talking well over 600,000 slaves.

Some Masters and Mistresses were kind to their slaves out of the kindness of their own hearts, and many were allowed to work outside of their owner’s home to buy their own freedom once they saved up enough money. Some were set free on their owner’s death, others as a gift by their owners for loyal and good service.

Some Masters and Mistresses were kind to their slaves simply because there were a lot more slaves in their house than free people in their house. Some Roman Households had up to 160 slaves living with them, with only a half dozen free members of the family who owned them. Many slave owners were rightfully fearful for their own lives and treated their slaves as best they could as insurance they wouldn’t be murdered in their sleep.

During Yule the ancient Babylonian Festival celebrated between the Winter Equinox and the New Years, Roman Masters and Mistresses would actually exchange places with their slaves during that time, and would wait on and serve them during that period.

Slaves were often treated and considered a part of the family. In Patrician Rome there was a hierarchy within the households that made the oldest male the absolute Master of his home, he could kill his wife, or children, or slaves no questions asked.

While it’s true in some ancient cultures when the Patriarch of the house died sometimes his slaves would be killed and buried with him, it’s also true that many slaves would kill themselves when they lost a Master who took good care of them fearing that their next Master would not be so kind, but also out of a total dependency and affection for the person who had taken care of them sometimes their entire lives.

Slaves never had to worry about finding a job, or a place to live or where their next meal was coming from. Their Masters took care of that.

That’s why to this day the voluntary practice of slavery still exists in the alternative lifestyle of D/s and BDSM were both women and men contract themselves into voluntary slavery to another person who will take care of them, feed them and clothe them, direct them and make all their decisions for them and absolve them of all responsibility for themselves other than serving the Master or Mistress that they choose.

In the old south that you are likely referring to many plantation owners treated their slaves extremely well; Thomas Jefferson loved one of his slaves so deeply she functioned practically as his legitimate wife. The Reverend Al Sharpeton is thought to be a descendant of Thomas Jefferson.

While many of the black slaves in America did hunger for freedom and went to great lengths to try to get free through the Underground Railroad, just as many were not happy at all when they were set free after the War. Many had never taken care of themselves and did not relish the fact that they had to, or why they had to leave the only homes they had ever known.

When Sherman made his famous March to the Sea after he burned Atlanta he and his army travelled to the coast practicing scorched earth warfare where they would basically burn every home and field, and warehouse and barn they came across. In short order tens of thousands of slaves were following his army desperate for food and with no place else to go. Sherman cautioned them not to follow and to just stay put but he couldn’t stop them from following.

Eventually when he crossed a major river by Ferry he left them trapped and behind on an opposite shore because they were slowing down his army badly and eating much of their supplies.

In short you might want to consider if you were born a slave, it was very similar to being born in a poor family today. You realized growing up that’s just the way life was and you got used to it.

If you were born free and had any wealth at all it was not just accepted but expected to buy and own slaves. It’s very similar to those people who are born rich. That’s just the way life is.

People didn’t really think about it. It’s just the way life was. From time to time some would rebel, some would runaway and find there freedom but for the most part most people just accepted it on both sides.

The dark reality is that no one was freed in the civil war, we were all turned into property of the corporate government after the war and it was no longer legal for slaves to own slaves.

Today we all labor for money, but that money is just paper attached to nothing of value and half of it is taken away from us by that corporate government. A good portion that we have left goes to paying rent or mortgage, gas and insurance and food to eat. Most of us have little to nothing left when we get done doing that.

In reality you are only as free as the money in your pocket allows you to be.

If we step out of line, do the wrong thing, drink the wrong thing, and make a bad choice we get punished too.

The truth is slavery in one form or another has always been with us and likely always will.

The most enslaved person is in fact the person who imagines that they are free!

[edit on 9/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I've actually helped buy slaves from Sudan. Breakthrough ministries in '98, or so, was purchasing them from muslim traders on their way to the north! IT WAS (and is?) THE ONLY WAY TO get them out to freedom.
Former Pres. Clinton was doing NOTHING, NOR the U.N.!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jibblin

The truth is always meant to be disturbing since it does come as a shock. The world will someday learn that we don't need slaves to work for us, but to work with us and have everlasting freedom. Slavery should be gone like the history behind it.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
SLAVERY WAS LEGAL UNTIL 1975

Few people realise this.

The last place on Earth where you could "own" another human rightfully was the Republic of Mauritania, a North African desert wilderness where slavery was still legal until it was abolished in 1975.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by amari
If slavery was legalized I would buy as many slaves their freedom as I could afford.

That's what I'd do to. Hopefully buy a complete family and set them up so they can be self sufficient and free.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
lol lol lol....

If slavery was legalized [again], would you buy a slave?

It never seems to occur to many how many slaves there are around us daily. People who cannot think outside the box.

One of the things I hate is traffic. Every chance I got I tried to get back to the third or what some call the graveyard shift. No traffic and no parking problems Most people like the slavery of working day shifts. These people love the luxury of standing in line ..spending such huge blocks of their valuable time standing in line somewhere...or everywhere to get things done...both on and off the job. When I got sent to day shift for about 5 months it was a culture shock to realize how much of my valuable time I now had to spend in line to get anything done around the crowds. I was so glad to get back to the graveyard shift so that I could do things while most were at work. When people got off work I was at home and away from the maddening crowds.

Amazing to me...people think this day shift stuff is great!!!! Not!!!

Another irritating thing to me indicating slavery is how many people do not know how to do a manual override. When the electricity or computers don't work ..they have no clue as to what to do. No one seems to be trained in how to do a manual override. Things seem to come to a screeching halt. Talk about slaves to a system. Wonder how our parents and grandparents even made it without falling over dead every time the electricity went out.

Another sign of slavery is people who cannot seem to express a moral ethical thought of their own without referring to a movie or television program they have watched. It becomes quickly obvious that their thinking and emotions are someone else's thinking and emotions. They don't even seem to realize it has happened to them. We see this here and often on ATS/BTS Very little original experience or thinking going on. Just Xerox copies of what they saw on a movie or television.

What you realize is how few actual life experiences or thinking some people have ..yet because they "feel" they are more qualified to lead or be looked up to than are others.

Talk about Slaves...and they think they are so free. They haven't a clue.

Many of us are in fact slaves..but it is done so nicely ...we volunteer into it... thinking how wonderful it is for us.

Who is going to buy us out of our own self imposed slavery??

Is there any thinking going on out there??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

We are already slaves. Do you have a web cam installed on the top of your monitor right now? A cell phone? You are being watched & listened too and this is used against you, trust me.

No I'm not being paranoid, this is reality.

The government has enslaved all the citizens, especially in the US, try and tell me otherwise please.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Good grief. Nine pages of acrimonious blether and only one person has the decency and insight to ask the obvious question: if slavery was legal, would you like to be a slave?

Obvious answer, too: surely, 'do as you would be done by' pretty much covers this one?

Kudos, EnlightenUp.

Interesting thread topic, OP. You really brought the creeps out of the woodwork. Now if only you could teach yourself to communicate in plain English...

[edit on 9/1/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I know this will prob make me sound like a jackass but I agree in terms of a new modern day slavery. We have thousands of homeless out on the streets. In slavery these homeless would have shelter, food and clothing, they would have a purpose unlike they do now

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Knowledgeseeker5434

OK, I suppose I can imagine a few perspectives that would make that seem mildly logical, but the problem is that most of the chronically homeless aren't just people who "wont work" (although if they were, I can see where that would also complicate getting them to do slave labor) many of them have serious mental issues, both drug-related and not. Imagine trying to get that poor crazy bastard in front of the local 7-11 to wash your car. You'd have to hire a day laborer to follow him around and fix everything he broke, then he'd come back to you grinning ear to ear and wanting his dope money because he thinks he did a great job really really fast- then you'd have to remind him that he is a slave and there is no dope money, because he forgot... awkward dude.

Those people need assistance and treatment. We throw away enough to keep them alive- if we didn't they'd be dead. So why would it offend us if we were expected to eliminate the middle man in that transaction (the middleman being your trash can) and accept a bit of a tax on our excesses to help them?

I don't want to embarrass you Knowledgeseeker, but if a poorly conceived scheme to squeeze a few thousand dollars worth of sweat out of the less fortunate comes to mind before the ease with which we could simply end homelessness, then we're on a very dangerous path as a nation and perhaps as a species.

However, to keep this as much about slavery as about the homeless, and to continue my earlier devil's advocate work, and perhaps drive home the point that I don't mean to nail Knowledgeseeker for being honest, I can suggest some people who I think the American public would gladly buy tomorrow if given a legal and moral excuse:

1. Criminals. Well, this actually already happened. Pennies a day to keep it constitutional. Nobody wants to see convict labor and a for-profit prison industry displacing law-abiding workers, but nobody wants those villains to get a "free ride" in those luxurious $20,000 a year boarding schools- thats what they call it right: "college".

And it really hasn't gone far enough for us has it? Picking up trash on the roadside (which wouldn't be there if you weren't a criminal just like them, litterbug) and clearing brush to prevent wildfires isn't all they could be doing to repay their debt to society- after all, if you don't throw crap out your car window and didn't buy a McMansion that's been under forced evacuation by fire fighters 4 times in the last 2 years, then you're really not benefiting from one of the few legal forms of slavery left in this country. Selling out your principles is supposed to get you something- key word YOU.

So, don't you think they should have to fix up derelict yards and homes in your neighborhood and bring up your property values, instead of the city paying YOUR top dollar to bring in a bunch of Mexicans (don't kill me, see the next group on my list first) who seem to spend half the day sitting around doing nothing (well- half the time you saw them anyway, but you only saw them when they woke you up at the crack of 7:00am and then when you left the house at noon... to go get lunch).

And for that matter, shouldn't Bernie Madoff have to do everyone else's tax return this year, and every year until he dies? (or until congress passes a law allowing prisons to bundle and sell time derivatives, at which point Madoff will go free and you, 9 peers, the guy who recruited you 10, and the 100 people all of you recruited, each end up in jail for about 16 months, unless you can bring more people into the pyramid)

And if somewhere near the bottom of the slippery slope that city councilman who got a DUI ends up having to valet park your car at the post office, that would be OK too, right (assuming that you had OnStar and the post office had really good insurance-underwritten by a subcutaneous tazer implant- that covered him)?

2. Immigrants, especially illegals, especially Hispanic illegals. I think everyone knows I didn't really mean that first one, because I'm sometimes a criminal myself. Well, sometimes I'm a Mexican too. My skin stays white and I can't roll a burrito, much less an "r", but I am very big on brotherhood- not as some flowery hippie ideal, but as a simple recognition that just like my two blood brothers and I, if you and I are working together, or otherwise in brought together in a place we might rather not be, then we've either got to develop a deep understanding and loyalty, or end up disliking if not hating one another. So I've got a couple of Mexican brothers... (please don't tell my dad).

Anyway, I'm not saying I believe the following, I'm saying that Latinos have got political and social work to do, because I think this BS could be sold:

So yeah, as you can see, Americans are very very careful about the whole racism thing. Racially defined slavery has almost zero chance in America ever again, no doubt in my mind... so we'll have to be very careful not to call it slavery.
I mean come on, we just keep throwing them back over the border until they either die in the desert, or get sold into slavery by coyotes or, best case scenario, end up in front of Home Depot putting legal immigrants and citizens out of a job and undermining our labor laws, right?
You know what would be great? If we caught every one of those 3 million illegals who enter each year and put them all at the very back of the line for citizenship, and in the meantime put them in refugee camps where they could not only work to support themselves, but provide free translating services for legal immigrants, provide sucker... um I mean, volunteers, for experimental medical treatments, and time permitting, build a border fence for us.

And for good measure...
3. Women. I can't even sell this one- there is no way to make it sound OK as far as I can see, but that's exactly the problem with the way our society treats women- it really doesn't have to be OK. We do it when nobody's looking and pretend it wasn't us, but if you look at the statistics, it was clearly a hell of a lot more of us than we would like to admit. There's this incredible moral dissonance at work, where lies, manipulation, and intimidation are OK as long as they are effective enough to completely extinguish any resistance. At that point, it becomes her fault, because she's a ____ (we've got a few dozen words for it, especially if you allow for hyphenation, but I ain't saying any of them here).

We're arguably going backwards on this one in fact. There was a time when calling somebody a pimp would have been considered "fighting words" after all.

Come to think of it, there is actually one way I can sell this one...
You can have sex with her!
I mean for crying out loud, it worked on Thomas Jefferson; what chance does the average man have?

[edit on Tue 12 Jan 2010 by The Vagabond]

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Greetings all. This is my first time on this site and replying to a post. I found this site while looking for the legal ramifications for owning a slave in the USA. I have read every post. As to my response. I would buy many slaves. As long as I could turn a buck. Maybe $1,000 for a slave? I think that would be fair. I doubt I would beat my slaves. I would hire other people to beat them as long as the business would be profitable. Plantation owner would be the best bet. The south had it right, however, times have changed and it's hard to make money off of produce. I would grow cannibas. I would educate my slaves though. Teach them about horticulture. Grow high quality stuff. The sad thing is I am a slave. My country is trillions of dollars in debt. We cannot deny this one inescapable fact. We may say or like to think we are free, but we are nothing more than indentured servants. I'll leave you all with a quote.

"A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude. To make them love it is the task assigned, in present-day totalitarian states, to ministries of propaganda, newspaper editors and schoolteachers .... The greatest triumphs of propaganda have been accomplished, not by doing something, but by refraining from doing. Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view, is silence about truth." -Aldous Huxley

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Yes!!!!! Yes I would!!!!

I would buy as many slaves as I could!!!

And then I would set them free.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I would argue that jobs are a form of slavery and that would make Employers slave owners in a grander sense. You are paying someone for there time which is the modern equivalent of putting a roof over their head and feeding them and if your far enough up on the latter then you have enough money to significantly influence government policy so that you can corruptly effect things in your favor and never lose your place of power always keeping the majority of the populace under your thumb and just paid enough to get by (especially in the cases of minimum wage). Your literally paying for someone to live which is in a way owning them because ultimately they have to do what they have to do get by no matter what if they want to live and so essentially you are a slave to your job because you have no choice. This is evidently a problem as well or things like the occupy movement would not exist. I would not know how to really improve the system significantly however without first removing the corruption and even then the system would not be perfect.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
You are a slave: you just haven't figured that out yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
between this thread and the p diddy thread.... i think i hate this site....

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join