It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Leadership Strips Rep. Griffith of Committee Positions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The House clerk read several communications removing Representative Griffith of his committee positions following his switch to the Republican Party.

Rep. Parker Griffith of Alabama announced yesterday that he has switched from Democrat to Republican. House Democrats announced today that Parker is as good as gone.

On the floor of the House of Representatives, a clerk read from letters between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the chairmen of the House Transportation Committee, the House Small Business Committee, and the House Science and Technology Committee. Pelosi told the chairmen that in keeping with House rules, Griffith has been stripped of his committee memberships.

Pelosi's move isn't about retribution as much as standard operating proceedure. Committee slots are assigned in the House based on party, and since Parker left his party, he no longer occupies its seats in the committees.

Source: Democrats Strip Griffith of Committee Assignments

I am not going to add spin to this, nor am I really going to add any commentary, I will let you decide what to think of this decision. Was this retribution for leaving the Democrats? Or is it as Pelosi said? Just an numeration issue?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I know you don't want to add a spin to the "story"
is not reason for the house to keep Rep. Griffith in his current status when he he has turn his back to the party that help him win the elections for his seat.

So yes this can be spin until horn comes out of the democrats head for doing this, but I would expect no less coming from any party toward any of their own for switching to what is considered the "opposing party".

Its politics !!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Standard operating procedure in cases of Party switch.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I have just presented the facts at hand. I want this to remain in Above Politics because it deserves to be here. It is for that reason that I am not providing any "spin" to this story and am just reporting it as it is.

If you note, Pelosi cited "Article B Rule 10" Which reads as follows...

(b) Committee on Appropriations.
(1) Appropriation of the revenue
for the support of the Government.
(2) Rescissions of appropriations
contained in appropriation Acts.
(3) Transfers of unexpended balances.
(4) Bills and joint resolutions reported
by other committees that
provide new entitlement authority
as defined in section 3(9) of the
Congressional Budget Act of 1974
and referred to the committee
under clause 4(a)(2).

www.rules.house.gov...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I feel the obligatory party switches are good theatrics.

If you really want to see the real views of both parties, look at what happened when a real conservative tried to get a seat. The republican backed the democrat.

Dem=Repub therefore the American people get screwed everytime.

new topics

top topics

join