It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automatic word substitution on my post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Why is it that when i write "Nigeria" it changes my word to "n-word-ia"

See post on page 2 of thread about racial profiling in "War on Terror" section www.abovetopsecret.com...

Has it really come to this? That saying n-word somehow is better than actually saying the racial slur?

This is retarded!

-Bob

[edit on 1-1-2010 by BingeBob]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

Try typing it using the proper capital "N".

Nigeria

... the lower-case "version" is flagged for obvious reason(s).

[to add]

Hope this helps.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I've had something similar which I had to explain to a mod once, it was a dictionary word that happened to have the 'N' word arrangement of letters in it preceded with an S...

a sly or disrespectful laugh, esp one partly stifled

I agree that by filtering that string of letters is a bit much, both the country name and the term I used are valid!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
My bet is the person that implemented the filter had to contend with the idea that the word would not always be spelled correctly with 2 "n"s, so he/she decided to lump in the 1 n version not realizing it would affect the name of the country.

They probably just wanted people to be able to use it and not violate terms, which it still would as a censor circumvention. But who knows, maybe TPTB want the word used.

Just a couple guesses.

Personally I would ban anyone that uses the word not translate it into joke fodder.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Something weird has been happening lately.

I started a thread on how a U2U had rnrn in it at the beginning of sentences. Then my thread I just posted to, had rnrn in every comment on it, at the beginning of every sentence.

We might have 2010 gremlins around.

They may be doing some work on the server or the site script.

Time will tell I guess.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Dude with respect and not out of stupidity this is news to me, is the word [snip] actually filtered out ?

Hm, I recall using the word recently not in offensive way but in discussion I'll have to look back to see if my point was completely lost.

Removed censor circumvention

[edit on 1/1/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Dude with respect and not out of stupidity this is news to me, is the word [snip] actually filtered out ?

Hm, I recall using the word recently not in offensive way but in discussion I'll have to look back to see if my point was completely lost.

Removed censor circumvention

[edit on 1/1/10 by masqua]

so is [*snip] [*snip] [*snip] [*snip] [*snip] and [*sniping]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The same thing is happening on Yahoo. If you'll notice, most of their stories with anything about Nigeria (bomber on plane last week) is spelled N*****ia. It's not just here. Really weird.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I noticed that mm thing this morning ! Every thread and post had it ! I'd just got in and was a bit pissed i thought that musta been what it was ha ha ha

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Well it really sucks on a forum like this because you could be making a really good intelligent point but when I read through and you say "This n-word really needs to know his place" I automatically dismiss you as being an asshat.

Meanwhile you are just trying to say that some guy from Nigeria stepped out of line somewhere, doing something and he was a jerk that overstepped his bounds.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I have had that happen to me. Selective use of the [snip] in places where it's painfully obvious what the word is supposed to be.

Another time I got hit with circumventing the censors when I didn't circumvent them at all. If you type a swear word it normally gets edited out with a # but if you hit quote you get the full glory of the word.

I think I gave one poor mod carpel tunnel syndrome with a rant I had once.
Poor guy, all those [snip]s

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

... the lower-case "version" is flagged for obvious reason(s).

[to add]

Hope this helps.

We can put a man on the moon and they can read my license plate from 300 miles in space but we cant have a filter that recognizes the difference between the "n-word" and Nigeria?

Who thought of replacing it with "n-word" anyways...Why not strip the post completely for a terms of use violation?

[edit on 1-1-2010 by BingeBob]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
When joining ATS, did you, or did you NOT, agree with these rules?

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you did not agree, you would not be a member.

Case closed, thread closed.

top topics

join