It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A word of advice to those seeking enlightenment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I just want to tell those of you who are seeking enlightenment that it does not come from a book. You do not need to possess any special law of attraction in order to attain enlightenment. You do not need to understand the secrets of quantum mechanics (although it's a daunting subject to think about) to be enlightened. You do not need to go through the self help books by a bunch of new ager scams looking to get rip people off from a very real subject (spirituality) which they could learn about themselves.

It's just something I've been thinking about. All these conspiracies... just what do they mean? Why exactly does life not appear as it seems? Is it an illusion? What's it to you? It doesn't necessarily matter if it's an illusion because you're still a part of it. It's a huge living illusion... knowing that is half of the battle.

Once you've unraveled the web of deception that is life... enlightenment is not so far from your grasp. It's all about understanding really. It's understanding why a lot of life is a lie, or, understanding why life can be great, or whatever... enlightenment doesn't have to be any one thing. You can be enlightened on one subject or one thing that you're thinking about but still not reach enlightenment where you know the answers. You have to keep searching for the answers. They are there.

I guess, what I'd say is that it's all about understanding. When you reach a level of understanding with the rest of the world you can't go back to sleep. There-- when you "understand" you've been enlightened. I would say that it probably comes after years of developing your world view, and, trying to understand the world. That's when enlightenment happens, or, when you realize you were wrong about something and you've been enlightened and you think differently from you did before because you realize you were wrong.

You don't need to go through a dozen self help books by people wishing to rip you off. You don't need to go through a dozen books just explaining about how you should try to live your life. The law of attraction really is a myth. It's just really means-- the law really just means that you should try to live your life the way you want to and that you shouldn't think that you can't live your life how you want to. You are in control of your own destiny too. You don't need to read a bunch of books about how people can wish to the universe for results. This is just a false hope. You can't be sure that your wish isn't just something sent to your subconscious so that you'll remember it in the long run and carry out what you desired to from before.

I'm somewhat of a spiritual person myself. I don't go around ripping people off and passing off my beliefs as facts. What these new age gurus are saying is that you should just live your life how you want to. They try to make it all mystical, but, that's not what spirituality really is about. Spirituality is not something about just what you desire and getting what you want. That's only a form of spirituality-- making yourself happy. Spirituality is all about yourself and you as an individual and being at peace with the rest of the universe. It's nothing to do with what these new age gurus are preaching.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts on these new age gurus. I was just thinking about me back on my road to enlightenment. You don't need a book to tell you to become enlightened. It's something that happens after you do a lot of thinking and you develop your world view. It's something that just happens. You don't force it. You don't believe in the laws of the universe and suddenly become enlightened. It doesn't work that way.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I agree, there is a sub-culture that is ever expanding, and a lot of it I see as non sense. Reiki and the power of attraction, mysticism, and many other groups seem to me to be pretty useless, but the key words in the sentence are "to me". Although I disregard a lot of that stuff as fodder, someone else may find it enlightening to take part in them. I know there is quite a bit of money to be made if that stuff is your specialty. If anything, sites like this, and many of the gurus are just delivering spiritual placebos that manifest into what ever believers choose. Very nice delivery of your opinion. Happy New Year!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
hello Frankidealist35

just thought I would add a few things

Enlightenment is a right "now" thing

And I only know when I am not being that

One may say it is a state of "being"

When I am one with all that is and all that is not
neither all and neither nothing

And yes it is true that ..there is no need for teachers or guru's

The truth that is taught cannot be realized until it has been lived

In your own experience

I can tell you what the taste of chocolate is like until I am blue in the face
Yet you really do not know the taste
Until you have tasted it for yourself

In your own experience

Funny thing is that there is no description of "being enlightened"

Why ? Because there is no self reflection.... That can be reflected back upon .....

When "I am" one with all ......there is nothing else

The teacher is there not to give you the knowledge of enlightenment
A good teacher is there to actually take away what you think enlightenment is

To unlearn you ...

to destroy any stupid idea's or religious beliefs you may have attached yourself too

what you think you know ..about God/enlightenment/..etc..etc

And it is no easy task ...taking someone's belief off them

People would rather die ..then give up their crazy beliefs

Just look at the state of the world .. as a fine example

remember a good teacher ...will not promise you anything

the teachers job is too ...unteach you ....

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
You do not need to understand the secrets of quantum mechanics (although it's a daunting subject to think about) to be enlightened.

I personally think understanding this helps a lot.

If I had to say any one of those things were a must have of knowledge for someone seeking enlightenment, it would be quantum mechanics. Either that or logical thinking.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by liketheplague

Logical thinking does not create things, it just translates what is.
You can be logical all you want it does not create elightment.
For enlightment you need a special element. It's like a boom when the boom is, it's there and then it's gone and you got the information from it.
A more creative mind is capabile of such things, creativity is in oposition to logic. Logic simply is a flat line that does not deviate, you need a deviation, variation. If logic is a line and enlightment has curves you can't turn left or right to touch enlightment. Logic is not profound, it's superficial, it starts from the begining and it ends at the end, so I take it you need more than logic, you need to go very deep in your mind to accive this.

new topics

top topics

join