It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: U.S. Drone Strike Kills 3 in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Officials: U.S. Drone Strike Kills 3 in Pakistan

www.foxnews.com

A suspected U.S. missile struck a car carrying alleged militants in a northwest Pakistan tribal region Friday, killing three men in the second such attack in less than a day, intelligence officials said.

The strikes are part of the U.S. campaign to rid Pakistan of a creeping militant movement Washington believes is threatening the war effort in neighboring Afghanistan. The rising insecurity inside Pakistan, meanwhile, is prompting the United Nations to relocate about a quarter of its international staff in the country, officials confirmed Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.foxnews.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
More evidence of Obama's commitment and dependence on technological warfare.

"The United States has fired scores of missiles from unmanned drones into Pakistan's tribal regions since 2008 in a campaign primarily targeting al-Qaida. U.S. officials rarely discuss the strikes, and Pakistan publicly condemns them though it is widely believed to aid them secretly."

Little doubt the Pakistani government is relying on US technology and expertise to fight the Taliban.

"Pakistan is in the midst of an army offensive against the Taliban in South Waziristan, an operation that has spawned a wave of revenge attacks across the country in a bloody campaign that has killed more than 500 people since October."

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I wonder how long before we hear about the scores of civilians that were killed as well.

Plum, what is your opinion of using drones in Pakistan.

Legal or illegal?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Plum, what is your opinion of using drones in Pakistan?

CIA authorized to expand use of drones in Pakistan

The Pakistanis build and use the drone themselves so I would say that they are legal both for the US and Pakistan.

What is the official Pakistani position? Up for grabs. Political nightmare I'd imagine.

A very useful tool, I would say!

I would guess you have an opinion also?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
As long as they have Pakistani permission, I see no problem.

I figure if Pakistan was really against it, they would have already took their case to the UN or some other international agency.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Killing people without evidence or due process is ok when the US does it, and 'terrorism" when the taliban does it....lol..

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

ahh, yes... and suicide bombing market places and schools is freedom fighting...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
As long as they have Pakistani permission, I see no problem.

I figure if Pakistan was really against it, they would have already took their case to the UN or some other international agency.

Exactly.
They want our drone technology. They've stated that several times in the past year.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
Killing people without evidence or due process is ok when the US does it, and 'terrorism" when the taliban does it....lol..

When will people stop being so damn anti U.S just for the sake of it?

Live a year in the U.S

Live a year in Pakistan.

You think it is corrupt here, just wait.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Qari Hussain, a top militant commander with the Pakistani Taliban who is believed to be a suicide bombing mastermind, said militants had been searching for a way to damage the CIA's ability to launch missile strikes on the Pakistani side of the border.

The U.S. has launched scores of such missile attacks in the tribal regions over the past year and a half, aiming for high-value al-Qaida and other militant targets; one strike killed former Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud in August.

Do you think it worked? Because just now we have another missile attack in Pakistan by a drone that supposedly suppose to stop once CIA officers were killed. Of course its obvious that a gym is not a place where pilots are in control of UAVs and not that close and isolated.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu

I'm pretty certain war usually involves killing people without due process.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Have we blown up and volley ball tournaments lately? Seems apologists appear on every thread like this.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

you don't due process every soldier on the battle field. You do it to the survivors. That's why the term POW exists.

new topics

top topics

join