It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy procure foods and plants to grow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Hey all, i was just curious to what everyones thoughts are as pretains to growing food in a "survival' or homesteading situation.Such as, if you were to bug out to a cabin in the middle of the woods, what kind of seeds would you bring? I know it would depend on the region. I'm in the North(Montana), I'm thinking potatos perhaps? I think perhaps isolating a pool of water and farming fish would be a viable idea too, as long as you don't take too much out at once.

So any ideas on viable, long term food in a survial enviroment?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The types of crops to grow would depend entirely on your climate zone and soil type. Here in Oklahoma, we have red clay. Good for making bricks and growing tumbleweeds. There are areas where you can grow grain crops like wheat and corn.

If you have a bug out area picked out, find out what types of crops will grow well there or contact your agricultural department (every area has one) for information. They're generally pretty helpful. I've even had them identify some plants for me.

I hate to state the obvious but, if you don't like tomatoes (for example), don't bring tomato seeds just because they're easy to grow. If it's a food you won't eat there's not much sense in laboring in the field to make it grow.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Whatever seeds you choose you should make sure that they are heirloom varieties that will produce viable seed year after year.
I have an assortment of seeds in my BOB, including blue dent corn, pole beans, carrots, squash and onions.
I live in the mid atlantic states and I chose varieties that grow well in my zone and are also drought-resistant since watering would be difficult.
I would also grow them in small patches spread here and there to avoid discovery and to minimize losses to animals.
These would only be supplemental to my foodstocks as most would have to be foraged. All meat would be trapped or hunted.
I agree in northern areas root crops would be your best bet both for growing and for storage.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
1)learn which wild edibles grow naturally in your area/land and foster them and learn to forage.(make a map... make copies) Find help with that.

2) Find out your climate zone
Climate zone

3) learn about the best soil conditions for various edibles PH,soil type growth period and nutritional values.

4) Do it for real. (nothing beats experience).

5) learn about seeds and saving seeds(heirlooms are your best bet)

6) buy a seed bank or two for your area.

Talk to people with gardens.
find heirloom seed and gardening resources for your area.

7) learn how to properly preserve food.

repeat

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Quail eggs are delicious and easy to grow. They only produce in the spring and summer though. One female to a pen. Button quail are the best. Make sure they have some sand for grit to digest.

top topics

join