It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pasadena Rose Parade Aficionados!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
To all those members out there who are fans of the Tournament of Roses Parade!

What are your personal stories of this New Year's Day parade? Have you camped out to see it? Have you participated in it? Have you watched it on tv? Have you toured the floats afterward? Did you ever help decorate a float? Do you have a favorite float, a float you remembered seeing?

I would love to add your memories to mine!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have went to see the floats after the parade a couple of times.

It was pretty crowded but it was interesting.

It seemed to me that this years parade did not have that many floats in it and was not very long.

The floats I saw were 2 from China,1 from Mexico and of course the "American" Honda Japanese float.

I guess we can get use to it being more international and less American.

I thought the sailing ship was cool though.

I found it strange that one band at the front of the parade after they finished performing, ran back to the end of the parade, changed their uniforms and then performed again as members of a entirely different band.

Weird.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Let me tell you about a kiss during the parade.......

I've been to two parades, enjoyed them both, and the floats were amazing.
The first year I was probably 15 years old and we went out to Pasadena the night before and slept in the car.

As the floats were marshaling before the start a police officer was ordering us all back behind the barricades. I told her all my friends would move off the street if I could just have a New Year kiss.

Well, she agreed to the kiss if I didn't hug her.
I went for a peck on her cheek, but she turned her head and planted one full on my lips.
My friends hooted and hollered, but they cleared the street and we enjoyed the parade.

Who says cops can't be kind while doing their duty ?
She sure brightened my day.....

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Wow, calcoast, that was a strange story about the band, wonder what that was all about.? I also noticed how the parade went at a pretty good clip, to keep it within two hours for a tight viewing schedule? In the old days, the next tv programming wouldn't start until the parade ended. I can remember being pretty pissed off when that changed and it was obvious there was more to the parade, but the announcers were saying goodbye!

Yes, the parade has become more international, but it's been to American standards and style. The queen and her court are still very local girls. It's a beloved parade around the world. The announcer said that next year will be broadcast in China. Billions and billions of more viewers. Probably more money to be made off broadcasting rights and dvds.

I've only seen the parade live a couple times, which is a party unto itself. But I've caught it every year on tv, which I prefer, as you get commentary about the floats, bands, and equestrian groups.

Yes, going to see the floats after the parade is special, too, as you can get a close up look at the variety of plants and how they're used and SMELL all the roses. I haven't done that for several years; but the last time I went, the animated floats were able to do their animation there, too.

I've never helped decorate the floats, but I do remember decades ago watching the floats travel down San Gabriel Blvd to the landfill. I don't think they do that anymore.

anxietydisorder, what an adorable story! I love it! I would say going above and beyond the call of duty lol

Something pre-parade earlier in the week I saw on tv this year for the first time was a two hour equestrian show put on at the LA Equestrian Center, with all the equestrian groups who were in this year's parade. It was on RFD TV, and I definitely will look for it next year.

new topics

top topics

join