It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lee H Oswald responsible for Gary Powers U-2 being shot down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
After watching Oliver Stones JFK for the hundredth time last night, for the first time I noticed they mention that Lee Harvey Oswald may have been responsible for Gary Powers U-2 being shot down. Anyone else hear this befor? Does the government attribute LHO to this event? Disinfo? Or just a part of the Jfk cover up?

[edit on 12/31/09 by Djdoubt03]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Come on. Really? No responses. Does anyone have any informatio on this?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
I noticed they mention that Lee Harvey Oswald may have been responsible for Gary Powers U-2 being shot down.

He was that good a shot, was he?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

He was that good a shot, was he?
lol smart ass. What I ment was he gave the soviet's u-2 radar secrets that got Powers shot down. btw.. your comment was great. Truly was a magic bullet wasn't it.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Yeah, Stone implies that by connecting the time Oswald defects to the Soviet Union to the timing of Powers' U-2 plane being shot down. It only works under the premise that Oswald was an intelligence agent working for either the CIA or military intelligence and that for Oswald to have any credibility within Soviet intelligence, he needed to give them real information about US spy efforts. So they sacrificed Powers' mission and shortly after that, Oswald receives the royal treatment he is known to have received while in Russia.

There is another implication made at the same part in the film. That being somebody within the government/military giving Oswald this information so that when he passed it on to the Soviets, it would cause talks between Khruschev and Eisenhower to break down. Whether or not Oswald was aware that this was the desired outcome, I don't know.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
So is this an Oliver Stone idea? Or is it a theory that has been around since the assassination?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

So is this an Oliver Stone idea? Or is it a theory that has been around since the assassination?

Jim Marrs may have mentioned the idea in his book Crossfire, which is the book the movie is based on. I'd have to check on that to be sure, though. Other than that, I haven't seen or heard it anywhere else. And it's not really a bad theory. It's absolutely plausible.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

he gave the soviet's u-2 radar secrets that got Powers shot down.

The problem with that theory is the first overflight by the U-2 was in 1956, and it was tracked by radar, Oswald did not finish his radar training until 1957...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

he gave the soviet's u-2 radar secrets that got Powers shot down.

The problem with that theory is the first overflight by the U-2 was in 1956, and it was tracked by radar, Oswald did not finish his radar training until 1957...
en.wikipedia.org...

Also, from what I've gathered over the years in reading about it, the US severely underestimated the Soviet's radar and defensive capabilities. Furthermore, the Soviets had known for years previous to the Powers incident that the US was flying overhead. The U-2 had been caught on Soviet radar before. It wasn't invisible. There were just no missiles that could reach that altitude...or so the US thought.

And the Powers incident happened in 1960. Theoretically, Oswald had plenty of time to give the Soviets enough information to shoot down a U-2. All they really needed was a missile to reach the right altitude. In hindsight, it was just a matter of time before the US was caught, Oswald or not.

top topics

join