It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket Launcher Found In Apartment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Rocket Launcher Found In Apartment

www.msnbc.msn.com

They found an AT-4 shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. It can shoot a missile nearly 1,000 feet through buildings and tanks.

"It gives infantrymen the advantage with an ultra-light weapon that can stop vehicles, armored vehicles as well as main battle tanks and fortifications," said Oscar Saldivar of Top Brass Military and Tactical on the North Freeway.

That type of rocket launcher has been used in Iraq and Afghanistan
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What the weapon is, is a shoulder fired rocket powered anti tank weapon. It was also found with jihad writings. So does any one else here think there might be a bigger story behind all of that? The article also said the weapon has one thousand foot range, that would mean some one could a long ways away from a target if it were to be used. If any one has an idea what a potential target might have been in the Houston area please do post it.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Launchers no good without a rocket. Why press charges for having a prop?

Prosecutors said there are no state charges for having the unarmed launcher or possessing Jihadist writings, unless they contain some type of threat.

No different the thousands of dummy grenades around.

Or selling grenade launchers. No good without grenades. It's not like you can walk down to Bob's Sporting Goods and grab a case of grenades and if you do know where to go to get a hold of grenades there really is no point in trying to keep the launcher from you because you're going to get it anyway.

This is a non-event news story IMO.

Wanna buy one yourself?

Here's the AT-4 for sale

[edit on 31-12-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well, without a doubt it belongs to an idiot.

This is crazier than crazy.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Launchers no good without a rocket. ]

I did read that there is no crime in an un armed rocket launcher. But they did not specify that there was no rocket, just un armed.
Compare it to a rifle is loaded if a round is chambered, if the round is not chambered, it is not loaded.
So what we need is a defenatioin of an un armed rocket launcher.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

So, in other words, it wasn't some hi tech missile launcher. It was effectively a pipe?

Something is not a missile launcher unless it has a missile with it. I have a flat bed tilt trailer, but I don't have a SCUD to put on it!

I have a bunch of nails, but they aren't waxed into a pipe!

Shoot, I even have some physics books, a bible, and membership to ATS, but it isn't a suitcase bomb!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The launcher and projectile are manufactured prepacked and issued as a single unit of ammunition, rather than as a weapon system, with the launcher discarded after a single use.

Thats what I thought I remembered frrom boot camp some 18 years ago.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Well, if there was a rocket but it wasnt "armed" in the sense you mean there would some sort of destructive device or AOW type charges that could be pressed on the guy.

You cant even have a beer bottle with gasoline in it without being brought up on charges. No way they'd let having a rocket slide.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think hes out to put a stop to chemtrails

There was no rockets found, i mean really cmon we got activated tanks, APCs, cannons etc.. live fire in use ready to defend our freedom all day long all over the US not military but citizen Militias own these.

Just some more scare tactics for the Gov to use.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thisguyrightthere
The statement you made last does make sense. The problem is laws and the enforcement does not always make sense. I will go on the understanding forward that it was a tube with no rocket unless more information comes through.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE

Just some more scare tactics for the Gov to use.

And they work too. People read something like this and imagine there's some van down by the river full of rocket launchers that their children are buying.

All the while regular folks all over the country have gatling guns, flame throwers, tanks, APC's, anti-tank weapons and everything in between. When's the last time the news reported on any of those?

If somebody who read this story and thought "OMG" took a step back and looked at the reality of how much o fwhat is owned by who their head would explode.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I was watching this one on the news yesterday.

The apartment where it was found was an old lady who offered to let this guy keep his stuff there. I guess the real owner had converted to Islam, thats what they said anyways. But probably belongs to an ex-military vet.

Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yup most people have no clue what is up, most likely their neighbors have an arsenal next door i find it amusing. Oh Noes

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just fear mongering by the media. You cant reload an AT4. This is like saying they found a 9mm bullet casing with no bullet and no powder. The only difference is you can reload the casing.

Jihadist writings leaves a lot to the imagination. Add a now useless "launcher" and the comspiracists go crazy and forget how to read.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
How much and what type of explosive is in that thing?? - The only real danger is if that is still floating about... Other than that I guess someone could clobber you with an empty tube!

Prob nothing in this one, once I nearly brought a case for a shoulder fired anti tank thing... Had no use for it but it was very well made and the surplus shop had like 10 of them, I did think the 2 ends could make interesting book shelves if I split them up and fitted wood or something for the actual shelves. - I really doubt there is any danger here - unless that is of course someone has got the explosives out before - probably tons of these things floating about if they are single use..

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I got to shoot a LAWS rocket when I was in the Navy. I kept the launch tube as a momento. Does this make me a terrorist? Just media hype with no common sense. Throw it out there and mislead people into looking to you for more disinformation.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
What the weapon is, is a shoulder fired rocket powered anti tank weapon.

that is what it WAS, Now it is just a empty GRP/Steel tube, as it is a one shot weapon

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

You cant even have a beer bottle with gasoline in it without being brought up on charges.
Flamethrowers, however, are quite legal. I found that out a few months ago. I haven't built one yet, been thinking about it though.... for agricultural use, you know.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

In the last 48 hours there have been nearly 12 terror raids/threats is something coming? which is making them paranoid.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

Raider
you do bring up a good point. Have there been more searches, raids for possible terror threats in the last day or so, or not? I guess will just have to wait and see.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join