It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glowing walls could kill off the light bulb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Reduce your "Carbon Footprint"... Glowing walls instead of light bulbs. Sounds great and everything but is it affordable? I guess that would just take time to see all the imitators come out with their product and cause a cost war.

Still... will be interesting to see all the applications that can be used with this organic light-emitting diode technology.

Pretty soon regular LED's will be outdated and we will be going to the O-LED. Going to have to buy another flat panel TV...

I wonder what all the light bulb companies think about this? Are they investing into this technology? At least it will be better than those bulbs that have mercury in it. Drop the bulb and you have to have a decontamination unit come in to clean your house.
Source:

Light-emitting wallpaper may begin to replace light bulbs from 2012, according to a government body that supports low-carbon technology.

A chemical coating on the walls will illuminate all parts of the room with an even glow, which mimics sunlight and avoids the shadows and glare of conventional bulbs.

Although an electrical current will be used to stimulate the chemicals to produce light, the voltage will be very low and the walls will be safe to touch. Dimmer switches will control brightness, as with traditional lighting.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

This is some interesting technology. I have been following it for a few years now. It's not only about light sources but the fact that you can change the colors of your walls at random. Or you can watch TV at virtually any point where this stuff is painted on or access the internet and so on. It's a very interesting tech for sure.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
For illumination, wouldn't you want it on the ceiling?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Hell... you can put it on the ceiling... probably could even put it on the floor. Be able to surf the web or watch tv anywhere. Just roll it up and take it with you.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I understand that if your deep in a building with no windows or living underground that this would be needed.
But to say its for the "carbon footprint" is IMO as bad as trading in your SUV for a flex/electric car, which makes a larger carbon footprint than keeping the SUV to begin with.

I understand that there are many ppl "including myself" that is mostly nocturnal, and some light is needed.

But for the most part, if this was truely for the carbon footprint , why not follow ancient builders and their ability to use windows for lighting, heating, and cooling...IMO that would make a much larger impact on the green affect than making 100's of thousands of gallons of paint/paper, not to maention any of the adverse "toxic" properties, that could be involved, whether it is the paint/paper directly or the production of it.

But hey its a neat tech......to be able to paint a TV where you want it at anytime, or maybe it could be integrated into tatto's....human video screen..

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This reminds me of the time I broke my arm and thought it would be a great idea to get a glow in the dark cast..... It seems they say these have a dimmer switch but if they don't turn all the way off it would be really annoying.

new topics

top topics

join