It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of the Bible's Validity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Is there Significant scientific evidence to prove the validity/invalidity of the Bible? For years many people have tried to claim/disclaim the bibles truths or lies. Many scientist are continuously searching for that answer, well to help back up the bible, there are more than 63 different writers in the bible, all in different places and different times, but yet the bible seems to flow perfectly, also many events, predicted in the bible have indeed come true, and to this day are still being fulfilled, many discredit the validity because they take the bible litteraly, but when looking at it metaphorically, and figuratively, then it really shows its valididty

what do you think?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
How do similar writing styles or retrofitting events to coincide with "prophecy" validate anything in the bible?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
i really dont take any side to this, i was posting a question for a friend.
just that 63 writers over 1500 years that all coincide with each other is a pretty amazing feat

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Not sure I know what you want. Not even sure if you know what you want. Are you just curious about the subjectiveness of our individual opinions about the bible? If so, they are plenty, varied and there is no conclusion on the matter.

Or are you searching for scientific proof about the Bible's truthfulness? Because that'd be impossible. The Apostolic Church says the authors of the bible wrote the books under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Science can't prove that.

So, at the very end you will have to decide by yourself in what you want to believe. You will find no proof, no evidence, no RIGHT answer.

Some threads on the bible that you might enjoy:
Why(to me) it doesn't matter if the Bible is the word of God
Proof Positive that the Bible isn't a History Book: The Myth of Noah's Ark

[edit on 31-12-2009 by henriquefd]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

I disagree with your statement that the Bible 'flows perfectly.'

On one hand, you have passages such as "an eye for an eye" and then passages about "turning the other cheek." This is just one example, there are many more. Yes, you could explain this as a cultural understanding, or the differences between Old and New Testament....but there are others.

I do understand the argument about inspiration versus dictation of the Bible. Myself, I am still trying to decide what I believe. I was raised Christian and hold a bachelor's degree in Theology....but I've been questioning a long time now.

I don't think we'll ever have 'scientific' proof, simply because o fthe nature of science and the nature of religion. The two don't really mesh all that well.

Nevertheless, interesting thread!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
well i posted this for a friend, i too am curious, as far as whats out there, i personally know that the bible has flaws and dont know what to believe, its could go either way, but i do agree that no matter what you believe the Bible is a very very interesting book, and would make a great peter jackson film, (but only Revelations)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
www.infidels.org...

The bible does not flow perfectly, I will always hold the bible as the most dangerous and most elaborate fairly tale ever written. The robin hood stories seem to fit well even though they were composed by different writers (well singers), and the worst they do is encourage kids to steal from the rich and give to the poor; which in retrospect is pretty damn good.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
what I dont get is how come all the other people on the planet with boats didnt survive the Great Flood??? I mean, no one else had a boat? really?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Think about the gene pool as well, If the biblical flood is true, we are all the product of israeli incest.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
true, but it would hold true for the begining as well, if everything started from adam and eve, then this world is all just one big incest pool

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There is no evidence of the Bibles validity.
There is evidence that it's a load of BS.

It's entertaining, but like a Tarantino movie, has little relevance to reality.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
what I dont get is how come all the other people on the planet with boats didnt survive the Great Flood??? I mean, no one else had a boat? really?

Even more interesting is how he saved all the animals. Think about all the insects and animals that are only found in a small area of the world. Noah would have needed to travel to every continent to save all the animals. It would have been an undertaking that would be likely impossible even today. As you would need a huge fleet and support network to save every species. Many would need helicopters to airlift them from the isolated areas in which they live. Even if we ignore the food required to sustain them, perhaps God put them in some type of holy stasis, it's still a huge undertaking.

Though, it's possible the few animals he saved evolved to better survive in their new homes. In which the animals best suited to the environment survived slowly changing the species over time. Which would conflict with evolution being false.

The third possibility is that God magically recreated many species that perished or even created new species. Which would make Noah's efforts to save the species a wasted effort. As God could have told him to just save the mankind and he would take care of the animals.

I am not saying this means there isn't a God, but the Noah's ark story has to be the most ridiculous tale in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
remember kaploink, the bible cant be taken literally sometimes, first all the flying and swimming beasts were fine, second he probably was required to take all the animals in the world he was a part of, if he indeed did that, the flood was a literal event but he did take EVERY single animal on the entire planet, just in the world he lived around

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well actually there is plenty of archeological evidence to prove the validity of many books the bible.
Most people just are not aware of it.
Here is a good start.
www.biblehistory.net...
Over 60 finds, validating a range of statements made in various book the bible.
People who make the claim it is impossible because of it's literal and figurative language need to sit down and do some reading. Many of the books of the bible are historical in nature, and simply record the history of the jews.
I would ask is there any evidence to disprove the validity of the bible?
The Crucifiction darkness should be an easy one to disprove, since any third grader knows it's impossible to have a full moon and an eclipse on the same day.
Yet how do you explain the accounts of Thallus or Phlegon?

'Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land..... And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit..... So when the centurion and those with him, who were guarding Jesus, saw the earthquake and the things that happened, they feared greatly, saying, "Truly this was the Son of God!" Matthew 27:45-54 The first reference found outside of the bible mentioning this darkness which fell over the land during the crucifixion of Christ, comes from a Samaritan historian named Thallus, who wrote around 52 A.D. His work was quoted by another early historian by the name of Julius Africanus who researched the topic of this darkness and wrote the following: "Upon the whole world there came a most fearful darkness. Many rocks were split in two by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. It seems very unreasonable to me that Thallus, in the third book of his histories, would try to explain away this darkness as an eclipse of the sun. For the Jews celebrate their Passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the death of our Saviour falls on the day before the Passover. But an eclipse of the sun can only take place when the moon comes under the sun, how then could an eclipse have occurred when the moon is directly opposite the sun? (Scientifically it is impossible to have a full moon on the same day that there is an eclipse of the sun.) Another first century historian who also mentions this darkness was Phlegon who wrote a history entitled the "Olympiads. Julius Africanus mentioned a quote taken from the Olympiads which said: "Phlegon records that, in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth . . . It is evident that he did not know of any such events in previous years." Phlegon is also mentioned by Origen in his work ‘Against Celsus’ Book 2: "The darkening of the sun took place at the time of Tiberius Caesar, in whose reign Jesus was crucified, and the great earthquakes which then took place, Phlegon, I believe, has written an account in the thirteenth or fourteenth book of his Chronicles."

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had
happened.” – Winston Churchill

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Good point, a lot of people will say that the bible isnt valid, but it is

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Pretty much every holy text can be validated if you work at it

I think there is alot of self-fulfilling prophecy in it

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
there probably is a lot of evidence that supports the bibles truth as well as evidence that debunks the bible

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
their are actually quite a few things, that the bible talks about, that have been prven correct in recent history. the weight of air, the pathways in the ocean, alot of stuff here have a look.

www.clarifyingchristianity.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm sure I'll be scoffed at, but here goes. Sometimes you just have to believe in something bigger than what you can see and touch. I know when times get tough, I can feel a presence when I need it most. A calming sense that I just can't explain. Sometimes in a long forgotten song on the radio, an email or call from a friend that I haven't heard from in a while, or just the sensation of someone or something making me feel like 'it will get better.' Just my 2 cents worth. Happy New Year all.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
i really dont take any side to this, i was posting a question for a friend.
just that 63 writers over 1500 years that all coincide with each other is a pretty amazing feat

You mean "occasionally coincide with each other but for the most part conflict with each other"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join