It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities ramping up security for the massive Times Square celebration on New Year's Eve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Authorities ramping up security for the massive Times Square celebration on New Year's Eve

www.wbir.com

NYPD will keep a bird's eye view on crowds, using surveillance cameras placed throughout the city, and with sniper teams in place in Times Square.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Gotta love having snipers to be the norm at all your major outdoor events. They should give targets to suspicious looking people to wear as well. Oh well, have a happy new world order... I mean year.

Sorry to make a deal out of this, but it seems like we have become de-sensitized to this sort of thing. When I was younger it was how to deal with the odd drunk..... how long before these cameras and snipers are the daily norm?

www.wbir.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
For the unexperienced me, I don't understand why NYC Times Square hasn't been hit yet. I was there on NYE once and it was people on top of people there. It's like shooting fish in a fish bowl. Imagine the chaos if a bomb were to detonate in the middle of it all. When I was there after the ball dropped gun shots were going off all over the place, but you couldn't see a damn thing you just kept moving hoping one didn't richochet.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DDay

those weren't gunshots, they were probably fireworks, which they set off every year, at midnight.

I agree that Times Square is a perfect target, on any day. More so now that they've removed the cars and turned Broadway into a pedestrian hang out. I walk thru the area daily and it is teeming with people and the cops are simply not capable of seeing everything that is happening.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is only one other thing created by terrorists. When I was growing up there was no need for all of this. By inspiring fear and the government aiding in making that threat real, they take away just a little more of our freedoms and personal enjoyment, bit by bit.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

very true. my junior, or senior, year of high school, I did the Times Square thing. The cops cordoned off blocks as they filled with people so the first block by the stage filled up and people were told they couldn't go there, instead being moved one block up and so on until the blocks were all full. From what I recall, you couldn't leave the block or you risked being unable to get back into the area.

While I admit, we had a blast and my only real memory of it, besides freezing my butt off, was being grabbed by some random woman at around 3 of the countdown, and having her wrap her arms around me to steady herself for the kiss. I had no clue who she was, didn't talk to her once, don't recall if we spoke afterward but I remember the way she spun me around and kissed me and I remember her being about ten or fifteen years older than I was. The spirit of the night took over, I guess.

Good times but the only thing we feared was getting busted peeing in a cup or tagged for underage drinking.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
And of course not forgetting by making everyone think theres a singular threat in NYC it'll make others naieve to any other potential false flag/black ops going on around the rest of the Major US Cities.

top topics

join