It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uranium Is So Last Century — Enter Thorium, the New Green Nuke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Uranium Is So Last Century — Enter Thorium, the New Green Nuke

www.wired.com

But the book inspired him to pursue an intense study of nuclear energy over the next few years, during which he became convinced that thorium could solve the nuclear power industry’s most intractable problems. After it has been used as fuel for power plants, the element leaves behind minuscule amounts of waste. And that waste needs to be stored for only a few hundred years, not a few hundred thousand like other nuclear byproducts. Because it’s so plentiful in nature, it’s virtually inexhaustible
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.resourceinvestor.com

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The issue of nuke plants has been in the news for the last few years or so, namely because of the weapons grade material they can produce. I think this is important because the thorium plant, as stated in this article, will no produce weapons grade material. It also does not last as long as the wast from a uranium plant. With the ever increasing cost of energy sooner or later I think most nations may end up going back to nuke plants.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Almost seems like wired.com has been reading

Old ATS threads.

If not, they should have.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Makeitso
thanks for the heads up. If nothing else still it is something that has recently been published, and it might get more atenchen.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I have been following Thorium for awhile now, I have been trying to push it as a negotiating tool in my circles, the way I see it is we can push it to Iran and N.K. as an alternative to Uranium, if they refuse we can assume they want the nuclear weapon capability, why else deny help to obtain the Nuclear energy you are helping with out the controversy.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ahddm

Ahddm
that does make sence, and somehow I can't help but think that has already been done. o well.

join