It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian authorities demand halt to protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Iranian authorities demand halt to protests

www.reuters.com

An Iranian opposition website said on Thursday the government was moving troops and armored military vehicles to the capital on the day supporters of opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi planned to hold a rally.

"Hundreds of military forces and tens of armored vehicles ... are moving toward Tehran. Some of the vehicles are used for suppressing street riots," the Jaras website said.
The report could not be confirmed independently by Reuters.

Jaras also said security forces had a heavy presence .
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Looks like Mahmoud Ahmedinejad wants to do a Tienanmen Square in Tehran. This time around, the IRGC and armored vehicles would accompany the Baseej militia to smash the protesters. If the protesters managed to prevail and inflict defection in the rank and file of Iranian military, the regime would be in a very serious trouble. However, it remains to be seen as to how much strength the Green movement is able to bring to the streets today.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by order in chaos

I think the protesters are expecting some kind of western or international help. They are going to be disappointed.

They will be cannon fodder in the effort to demonize Iran. By what sort of reasoning do they trust the west's assurances. I live in the west and don't trust my government at all.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo3

I wonder how the people in iraq feel now that they sold out there country to the west, and look at it now.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

I wonder how the people in iraq feel now that they sold out there country to the west, and look at it now.

Iraq is a big mess. When will it be rebuilt or restored. Possibly never. Iranian targets are too close to the Caspian Sea. The use of DU weapons would contaminate the sea. Then it would become Russia's problem.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Just read this on an opposition website, and after googling found that reuters and many other sources have picked it up as well.

This is most likely why khamenei's plane is put on standby, in case the army steps in when the revolutionary guards are unleashed.

Let's hope that as few people as possible perish in their brave efforts, and they overthrow the revolutionary guards regime.

I think the west can only offer assistance if the someone like Mousavi asks for it, but they'll kill him instantly if he did that. But I think the public would be in favour of military action against revolutionary guard bases if we see a Tiananmen Square style clampdown.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I think the protesters are expecting some kind of western or international help. They are going to be disappointed.

At some point if they get massacred in the hundreds on one day they may ask for help, but there's little Obama would be willing to do.

They will be cannon fodder in the effort to demonize Iran. By what sort of reasoning do they trust the west's assurances. I live in the west and don't trust my government at all.

Iranian's have rebelled against the govt. before, except this time the oppressors seem unwilling to leave before killing every protestor. Although I doubt this will change their determination to become martyrs. They aren't giving their lives because they expect the west to step in, rather because they believe they'll win in the end as they outnumber the regime.

Although it's human nature to cry for help when things get really bad, so I expect we'll see this happen when a mother sees her kids shot to pieces, but I doubt the opposition will officially ask for help. What can the west do anyway? At most possibly bomb the revolutionary guard bases, but not the tanks in the streets because this would kill civilians. And targetted sanctions won't be effective in time or at all.

And Israel should stay out of this, and only NATO should get involved if the time comes.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It reminds me about Romania`s 1989 when we killed Ceausescu (the last communist dictator ) . He also hoped to get help from the army , but he ended up being executed by the army . Sometimes , the dictators forget one thing - the army is ALSO made up of people, and they will not happily carry on the orders of killing their mothers , sisters , brothers and fathers.

O, edited to say - during our revolution, 2000 people were killed , so no dictator goes away without asking the blood of its people..

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Romanian]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Honestly if israel got involved and helped out the protestors i think it would reflect better on them. But i don't think the iranians want israels help to begin with.

new topics

top topics

join