It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long can you hold your breath ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I use to hold it for a couple minutes - not sure the exact seconds. The only way to be really certain you are holding your breath is to do it underwater.

I won't try to hold my breath now, because it might throw my heart in to a bad rhythm as I had a heart problem a couple years ago and it doesn't take much to get it off balance, but takes long to get back to normal.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
1:24

That while being a heavy smoker for 22.5 years and having bad lungs because of an asthmatic bronchitis and heavy allergies during my youth.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Not very long since my body apparently needs a continual supply of inhaled nicotine which I've found only in cigarettes on this planet....

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I once held my breath for nearly 9 months... Then it all got a bit traumatic, then cold and a flipping doctor slapped me and then I started breathing.

Any one else had something similar happen? - I know a few of you would of hatched from an egg

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

1 min 40 sec and i am 10 years smoker
minute and a half. I am a smoker as well.
1 min 42, and I'm a heavy smoker
2min!! I just had a cigarette
2:17 I smoke as well,

...is this something smokers practice a lot? Because I don't smoke, and did years of martial arts and yoga and personally, I get uncomfortable after 30 seconds, and by one minute my brain is telling me "you really don't want to do this anymore."

Or are your brains simply so oxygen starved anyway that cutting off the supply completely doesn't change much? ^_^

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Or are your brains simply so oxygen starved anyway that cutting off the supply completely doesn't change much? ^_^

Actually someone told me (prob at a bar
) that a smoker will do better in a house fire because their body's are already used to operating with a higher CO2 edit... well monoxide as well, and smokey particulate matter etc, you know the kinda crap I pay taxes to breathe in! - level... Of course this benefit will be completely wiped out should of smocked a cigarette right before the fire!

Interesting tho - can anyone confirm that idea??

[edit on 31/12/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I once held my breath for nearly 9 months... Then it all got a bit traumatic, then cold and a flipping doctor slapped me and then I started breathing.

Any one else had something similar happen? - I know a few of you would of hatched from an egg

For some reason I have a hard time pissing on planes... I guess I'm just scared somethings going to happen and I'll wind up with piss all over my self. Any ways, I've been on a few long flight with out being able to piss before. Don't know if it compares to 9months, but at the time it did.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That David Blaine blogspot was pretty cool.
I'm going to try that later.

I did 1:30 on my first shot just a bit ago. and yeah, I'm a smoker as well.

LordBucket,

I can't speak for anyone else, but yeah I smoke and no, I don't ever really practice holding my breath.
I'm pretty good at it though. Aside from being a smoker, I am an avid swimmer. (when I was younger I could go two minutes easily enough. In fact, I used to be able to do two full lengths of the city pool. I'm guessing this was about 200' underwater)

But alas, I have a bit of a problem now. A few years ago, I "suffered" two pneumothoraxes due to trauma I received in the Army. While in the OR my heart gave out on me and now when I take a deep inhale, my heart starts to race. I got sorta' frightened a bit ago holding my breath as my heart was thudding throughout my body.

But it got me thinking, I think I'm going to start doing this more offen and forcing my heart to go through this regimin. Exercise for the heart... and lungs, for that matter.
I bet this would actually help smokers. Especially if they were to do the hyperventilating exercises beforehand.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What the hell, I can only do 20 seconds without feeling like Im about to keel over. I dont even smoke either!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I use to think static apnea was kewl.

But not anymore.

Oxygen is kewl in constant doses.

The longest I could hold my breath was just over 7 min 4 if i was swimming

Not me.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I like breathing too much to even try. Wouldn't be very long though.

Some day though, I shall hold it forever..:shk:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
i have successfully held my breath for 1 min 37 second and im ready for the tsunami that is coming in 2012 lol there isnt crap thats going to happen in 2012 except it will turn to 2013

top topics

<< 1   >>

join