It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long can you hold your breath ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
i wonder how long you can hold your breath ?

what happened is, i went ahead with suggested meditation tactic to deep breath 12 times and hold as much as possible, and noted that it would take ages to make as I'm holding too long,

my record was 1 min 40 sec and i am 10 years smoker

whats normal ??

(as google conspiracy says people cant hold it much longer than a minute)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I can only do it a little over a minute, and I'm a smoker.

I'm going to try it now, if I don't edit this within less then five minutes, my record will then become 'forever', meaning I never stopped holding my breath.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I can hold my breath for a minute and a half. I am a smoker as well.

I actually improved the length of time I could hold my breath by about 40 seconds after becoming a smoker.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I heard a while ago people drowning after 6 minutes of not breathing..

so I would assume some people can hold thier breathe alot longer than typical.. I can hold my breathe for about a min 3 or something..

Now to actually die ur breathing stops takes 6 minutes then around another 12 mins for ur brain to shut down... so in all 18 minutes to completely die..

Interesting that eh?

You can breathe in like 4 things of water before u pass out also.. so thats additional to the 1 min 3 sex also so meh, 4 mins.

[edit on 12/31/2009 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
about 2.5 minutes, and i'm a smoker. . . but i also don't think i'm even human.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I can only do it a little over a minute, and I'm a smoker.

I'm going to try it now, if I don't edit this within less then five minutes, my record will then become 'forever', meaning I never stopped holding my breath.

RIP Republican

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I gave up breathing in '96, We Atlantian's only breath for recreational purposes

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I heard a while ago people drowning after 6 minutes of not breathing..

This is more about how about how long your still technically alive, and can still be revived with out a lot of brain or organ damage. But the temperature of the water can drastically effect the revival / none brain damage time. A few years ago I read a story of a person who was stuck under ice for like 40min and was revived with almost no brain damage.

I'd like to see it as you don't die till your spirit leaves your body, and some times your spirit just aint ready to go.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
1 min 42, and I'm a heavy smoker of all kinds of wonderful things .
lol

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
2min!! I just had a cigarette before I tried too.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I used to be able to do a length of a pool, turn round and nearly get half way back (not a 'regulation' pool or anything, an odd shaped one - I'm guessing maybe that 1 and a half lengths was 60 or 70 meters? - dunno, I was a kid).

But that hyperbreathing I call it really helps (makes you dizzY!) I was told it forces oxygen into your flesh or something?? Which you can use after your lungs are getting used up... That's not a very scientific way of putting that at all!

But I guess it's what you are doing as you are trying to hold your breath - the calmer you are the longer you can hold out.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Oh and I haven't left my chair sense I quit my job almost a month ago.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
2:17
I know if warmed up I could close to double that.
How do I know?
Last time I held my breath was in a lake, diving to cut weeds underwater.
At that time, I started with short dives and after about 15 minutes, I could stay down much longer with less effort.

I also have a cold. swine? not a chance, but I have been blowing some nose flem that could make Monte Python's Mr. Creasote lose his appetite, so I'm confortable with a 2:17 off the bench.

I smoke as well, but not the concoctions sold under the crown logo. I believe that a good consistent smoking habit is an essentioal part of a daily routine and is an instrumental part of what keeps you in shape, rather than the bad rap smoking gets continuously.

I also am at about 330 ft above sea level.
In Denver or top of Pikes Peak or similar, I'm sure the time would lessen.

control of mind and body contributes to a longer breath hold as well. For me, this is reality

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
well i feel at home with all these smokers, thought i was the only one on here. I can do 50m underwater holding my breath. Thats good enough for me.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
dont SEAL's have to be able to hold their breathe for like 3 minutes?

all I know is that I hate swimming underwater unless its in a swimming pool because when I was young I was innertubing in a really clear lake and I looked unerwater a the dropoff where all the dead trees were and the lake got deep and it scared the bleep out of me

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Ok time to move to a new topic.

How many m&ms can you hold in your mouth, and for how long.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mosesgunner
Ok time to move to a new topic.

How many m&ms can you hold in your mouth, and for how long.

As many as I can cram in, the more the better, & not for very long because I just wanna crunch down on those yummy choccie pellets & feel that sweeeet nectar on my tongue!!

I can't hold my breath for very long, I'm asthmatic, but I do have a very good snorkell if necessary to hold my breath underwater! lol!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

www.fourhourworkweek.com...

Hey Everyone,

randomly knew about this is, try the exercise of shallow breathing to get rid of CO2 and gasping breaths presented in a sequence. I did not follow the instructions, i missed out a turn but went from 1,30 to 3 minutes. Maybe now i could beat the old Harry Houndini record

Word of warning about hyperventalation and oxygen being starved from the brain, so everyone be sensible, that's advice i read but seems to make sense and I know peopel love educated guesses, only try to full maximum hold every other day and once every three days when you get above 5 minutes to let the body recover?!?)

Power and Equality

PS like most things in life, its a question of technique, to the OP could you do another thread like this in the Pyschologyyy section because it helps to active your picture forming area of the brain - so check that page

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I also am a smoker and ive been holding my breath for 18 months
waiting for disclosure to happen ,to no avail,dont think i can hold it much longer.Sorry to mention the D word again.I think its gonna be a long wait,cant hold it much longer.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by themove1904

Oh come on dude. Did you really have to take it there? Why not send another letter to obama about instead of ruining the first fun thread that hasn't been banned in weeks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join