It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamas plan to release 400 million classified pages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Obamas plan to release 400 million classified documents

wbztv.com

WASHINGTON (AP) ―

President Barack Obama plans to deal with a Dec. 31 deadline that automatically would declassify secrets in more than 400 million pages of Cold War-era documents by ordering government-wide changes that could sharply curb the number of new and old government records hidden from the public.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.boston.com

[edit on 30-12-2009 by lookingup4it]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I went and listened to Obama Speak when he was campaigning. I got the distinct impression that he wanted the truth to come out. It is sure to take time to sort threw 400 million documents, but I'm sure we will have some great fuel to add to the fire after this one. I believe disclosure is near! i cant help but think of Pres. Regan's speech to the U.N. Exciting times!

wbztv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This needs to be in Breaking Alternative News. It could be pretty big. This kind of news needs more confirmation, however. So I will hold on a bit on getting too excited.

Great Find: S & F.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i heard it first on NPR this morning. i can't believe more people aren't talking about it. It seems pretty huge to me. the AP is pretty bullet proof.... but here's a few more

www.huffingtonpost.com...

and the best....

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I am complete behind this...

Dare I say? Go Obama!!!! lol

There is a downside to this tho.... going through that info will keep me busy on ats for 4-5 YEARS

(seriously tho, the only reason he is probably going to do this is in order to cause a mess... as much fun as this would be for me on a level I don't know we actually WANT to know the crazy stuff this govt has done, it could be a sure fire trip to revolution)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
But will these be the actual unedited documents or Documents where 3 quarters of the page are blacked out?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Really as I think about this seriously for a minute, this sounds like a fast road to him getting shot.... that's a whole lot of bad peoples secrets he's talking about exposing most likely.

If he is a Muslim at heart maybe the guy does share the goal of Martyrdom in his own way.

But I wouldn't be opening up the entire US can of worms to the public...

I seriously am hoping after thinking about this for minute... that they have a file labeled "secrets that really don't matter all that much" somewhere and this is a token gesture...

It's hard to even imagine some of the crazy stuff that has gone down, somethings maybe you just burn...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
in the NYTimes they refer to the POTUS as Mr. Obama, what the He11 is all that about? only to give the President title to a reference to GWB? He's the President of the United states, not Mr. Obama.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Now i want to see the Right-wing/new libertarians/Obama haters response to this ..

He has kept this promise ..

Mr. Obama .. once again you toke a step forward .. i just hope you don't take two steps backwards

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I guess I would be considered 'Right-Wing' and I see this as a positive step.

To the person that is complaining about the Mr. Obama quip in the article with the NY Times. It is standard protocol and completely acceptable to address the president as such, once in the article then use Mr. in following references or even just the name without a salutation.

Stop making a non-issue the main point of your post.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

I actually think this is a pretty good move. Any move in the way of disclosure is a good move.

That doesn't mean I have to think he's doing a good job otherwise. The guy knows next to nil about economics. And if he does, then he's a criminal like his Wall St. buddies.

None the less, he has to make at the very least a TOKEN effort of disclosure and openness.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I am eager to see how this pans out. However I will retain a level of skepticism, as I will not allow myself to be let down again by one of his promises. I do find it curious that he would make this effort to declassify such documentation, when every other aspect of his administration seems to push a agenda that is clearly not transparent.

If it's possible for anyone else to re-visit the road we ALL just traveled together, we may (MAY) assume that this event has an alternate intention.

I guess we will only understand what is going on when the documents become available. Albeit, damn if I get scorned again.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The D word is on the tip of my tongue. I dare not type it. I know what happens when one becomes to excited over speculative nonsense. Maybe Obama can be the president that I thought he would be. We can only hope, eh? Time will tell. We may see tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
the wording of the articles almost lead me to believe that he has the option to veto this measure and hide the document once again. so far he has been a straight shooter. he does what he say's for the most part.

3 to 4 years sounds about right, i wonder if it will be posted in a way that we will be able to search key words.....

the news report this morning said it could go back as far as WWII. project blue book, foo fighters, nazi ufo's, the missing Tesla documents?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I don't think Obama can order the truth to be told.
Not since JFK we should all realize this.
Well back to Truman if you will.
There are more important papers not even classified
that can't be touched:

There are those who also claim that Nikola Tesla 'knew nothing' about physics, etc. But I ask them to name another scientist for whom it can be said that 'the contents of his safe, two truckloads of papers and apparatus from his hotel room and laboratory occupying a whole floor, and another 75 packing crates and trunks in a storage facility, and another 80 large storage trunks in another storage facility' (say FBI papers released under the FOIA, 252 pages) have been concealed by the government for over 66 years to date, since Jan., 1943. Not one page of this huge quantity of documents and apparatus has been declassified since 1943, excepting a couple of steamer trunks of 'historical' documents (150,000 pages) which were released to Tesla's Yugoslavian heirs which represents the document collection of the present Tesla Museum in Belgrade.

And don't think an effort has not been made in a letter to Obama:

From: William R. Lyne July 27, 2009 Cerro Circle Lamy, New Mexico 87540 To: Barak Obama, President of the United States of America The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, D.C. 20500 Dear Mr. President, As should be known, the future consequences predicted by competent analysts relative to the increase in oil consumption in the United States show that there is an energy crisis of unparalleled proportions looming on our horizon, which will only become progressively worse. New thinking is mandated by reality at this time, a true "industrial revolution in clean energy" as your Secretary of Energy Steven Chu says.

Better than any 400 million classified documents made by liars could
ever accomplish to get us out of the hole that their lies dug for us.

ED: There it is right there recorded by the FBI.
Deny some more, talk straight.
We can't show you because of the "Death Beam" and HAARP.
Sure that's why. So lets hear it.

[edit on 12/30/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have a feeling these are not going to be the documents most of us are either hoping they are wishing them to be.

On top of that, just because declassification of the documents occurs, does not mean the text within the documents will also be declassified. There will be a lot of black lining in the vast majority of these documents. Most of the documents, I suspect will have to do with out-dated intelligence gathered through out the years in regards to the Cold War.

Do not despair and lose hope, but do not put all your eggs in this basket as it probably has a large hole in the bottom.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Do not despair and lose hope, but do not put all your eggs in this basket as it probably has a large hole in the bottom.

BOOO!!! don't burst my bubble! I just lost the lottery, i cant take another let down tonight.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Too bad I don't believe a damn thing the crook says.
Oh well, I guess he's created that stigma on his own.
Perhaps one day I can believe these puppets, oh wait nevermind.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

hmmmmm..... my guess is that most of it will be blacked out.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
They really should hide his birth certificate somewhere random in there, amongst the hundreds of pages. That would give people even more incentive to read the documents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join