Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Are Anti-Smoking Meant To make you addicted to Smoking?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
A recent Government inuquirery in New Zealand, showed that anti-smoking campaigning does not work.

The adds we have in New Zealand seem to consist of (I haven't actually watched TV for a long time), a girl looking sexy and pleased smoking a cigarette, a fitness (non smoking) women looking stuck up, and black and white stencil figures telling you why smoking not cool.

If I wanted to use NLP to make people smoke I would probably be pleased with the advertisements that the goverment is currently airing.

I have never smoked myself, but I would be interested to know whether people have similar adds in their countries, do they make you feel that you want to smoke?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Because if it is one thing teenagers love to do is to submit to authority and show reverance for the law. I can tell you anti-smoking adds and what not did not work. As early as ten years old i could recall myself saying " who the hell are these people telling me what i should and shouldn't put in my body?"

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by StopComplaining
A recent Government inuquirery in New Zealand, showed that anti-smoking campaigning does not work.

The adds we have in New Zealand seem to consist of (I haven't actually watched TV for a long time), a girl looking sexy and pleased smoking a cigarette, a fitness (non smoking) women looking stuck up, and black and white stencil figures telling you why smoking not cool.

If I wanted to use NLP to make people smoke I would probably be pleased with the advertisements that the goverment is currently airing.

I have never smoked myself, but I would be interested to know whether people have similar adds in their countries, do they make you feel that you want to smoke?

I think its nicotine addiction that makes people want to smoke I'm not sure though
You can show addicts pictures of black lungs all you want something more personal has to trigger a change

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'omino

Believe it or not there are many of us smokers who smoke because we genuinely enjoy smoking.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is one of my favorite subjects. I read this book called Buyology over the summer. Basically it was a collection of studies using advanced brain wave reading technology to see how marketing effects the brain. One study showed that antismoking material made smokers want to smoke. This includes the little surgeon general warning on the box.

I don't think antismoking ads provoke or prevent teens from smoking for the most part. I do think about the money involved though.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield

Believe it or not there are many of us smokers who smoke because we genuinely enjoy smoking.

if/when you decide that it is not enjoyable anymore
then it is still the nicotine addiction
no way around it sorry

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

I will 2nd this.

Also pictures of black lungs have no effect on smokers.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

What are you sorry about? You are actually very right. Unless you mean to suggest that i do not actually enjoy smoking or the taste of tobacco. But i do not think that was the intent of your post.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

The adds in Canada are worse. In one I remember it shows an attractive woman smoking, and then it pans forward x amount of years, she's sitting in teh same spot, still smoking, but she looks like the walking dead.
I like smoking as well. It's probably becaue I'm addicted to it though. At this point it's about the money more than my health.
Some people eat unhealthy, some drink, some smoke.....what to do?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If tabacco bothers you, try some Cannabis (medical cannabis of course
) Not only is it beneficial to your health you dont have to smoke it to gain its effects.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mosesgunner

I feel that way. Everytime i hear the anti-smoking ads or see one for that matter i want to smoke a ciggy. Hell i think ill go have one right now.

I think they secretly want all of us to continue smoking. Reverse psychology? Tobacco has went up in price a crapload. Maybe TPTB are starting to like that added tax money. We are in rough times you know!

MessOnThefed!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

How sad it may be. Pictures would not work here either. Been smoking for 32 years now. However campaigns may help some as there seem to be an increase of smokers

[edit on 30-12-2009 by flymetothemoon]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

Smoking has not been on the rise in Developed countries. In America it's been in the low 20% range for more then 10 years.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by mosesgunner]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mosesgunner

You're right, use of wrong word. Here the amount of smokers have been falling. Said with other words. Also minors are not allowed to buy tobacco ect.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If anti smoking adds worked they would probably lose their funding.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well I think it's also due to the fact that in most cases, people don't like it when the government tries to give them advice about things. Especially if you have an incompetent one, which is the norm.

I don't know about New Zealand but in Canada my government's right hand doesn't know where the left hand is. Harper seems to have it wedged in Obama's ass.

I myself look at the cost of smoking. 10$ a day, for the good smokes, if such a thing exists. That's 70$ a week, 280$ a month, 3360$ a year. Prices vary, however even if my calculations are 40% wrong, that's still over 1500$ a year for voluntarily killing yourself.

I think the government should just outline the health risks and provide proper alternatives to quitting. You want to encourage people, make the stop smoking aids free.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

I think the lowest it will ever go is to 15%. It might go up to closer to 30% at some time too. The funny thing with me and smoking is when I work I smoke like 5-10 cigs a day, but sense I've been unemployed the last month I only smoke one a day inless I'm drinking. I just don't get the nicatine craving much when I havent drank, but I do enjoy that orgasmic feeling of having one at the end of the day regardless.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I smoke and i love it. It's not just the smoking, its the activity, Since the smoking law in UK you meet new people. Also its a good vice, fair enough it may kill you, but what doesn't? Plus the death factor should not matter, it's a proof of freedom of chose, if i choose to smoke, it should be my choice to do. I know the facts of smoking, i know the risk, and im willing to do it.

As bill hicks once said, "Hell, i'd quit if i thought i wouldnt become one of you!" - To anti-smokers

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Yeah I'm one of those people who's always moving and fidgeting. I tend to consume alot of fluids too. All day long I'm constantly nursing some sort of drink, be it juice, water, beer, or water. When i was livinng in a house with a bunch of smokers I was smoking 2 packs a day just because it was aloud in the house.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by mosesgunner]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Any one else want a smoke?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join