It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesting and the illusion of change.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
My intention with this thread is to point out that protesting is obsolete.
Sure its great to be able to have the right but does having the right to protest actually change anything???
Heres a few examples.
This one is from 2006

Are we in peace times yet???

Here is the G20 protests against globalism and corporatism.

See any changes yet???

Iran election protest.

Wow no changes yet???

Here is a tea party protest.
I think they are against Obamacare and the bailouts

To this day nothing has changed has it???

Ok 911 protests.
New York www.youtube.com...
London www.youtube.com...

Still no real investigation yet??

The Isreali's protesting against the Gaza war.

I admit with all the different opinions there that this is a bit of a tough one but the fact still remains that they won't even listen to their own people much like ours don't listen to us.

I will also bring up Thailand as the exception to the rule and maybe a solution.

My point is not to discourage people so much as I would like people to find another way because this clearly isn't working anymore.Maybe just change the way its done...I don't know.

I was gonna bring up Tiananmen Square and The Kent State protests but I think this should be enough to give you an idea at what I am trying to say.

I just showed you many different protesters from a few different areas in the world and the result is the same.
Its not a conspiracy as I got these clips from a public site.
Its out in the open...protesting DOESN'T work and they don't really give a crap if you realize it.

Is protesting obsolete?????
Your thoughts??

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
In one sense, you are correct. Rarely does a protest bring major and lasting change to the power structure....especially if the protest is against a government.

However, there have been numerous occassions when I personally became aware of the issues simply because someone was protesting. Perhaps that is the true power of protest? Informing the public, even if just one at a time?

I am curious to find out what your suggestions for alternatives would be. I'm having a hard time conceiving of anything non-violent at the moment, but I have a 3 year old son who's nearby terrorizing my cat so my mind isn't exactly lucid at the moment.

Very intriguing thread, can't wait to see what others think! Thanks for the thought!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Protesting seriously is a waste of time. It's kinda like going to war with sticks and stones while the opposition has automatic firearms.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Protest is no longer an option to initiate change. I liken it to getting socks for Chrtistmas, ie the thought was nice but that's about it.

What we need is a new change mechanism altogether and a radical new way of governing. Basically I call for a coup, it's the only way. But who's got the cohones to initiate it!?

The sheep are baa-ing louder but until they do something they will still be sheep!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Protests have never changed things... at least not in the current definition of protest. Now, violent revolutions has done a great many things - and occasionally a protest can spark a violent revolutions, but that's Chicken and Egg argument there.

new topics

top topics

join