It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sherlock Holmes a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of CGI/green screen film making but it was the only way to capture the gloomy, dark setting for this movie.

Don't miss this one if you enjoy fantastic production, witty dialog, great acting, action, clever plot twists and great special effects.

Expect Guy Richie to be accepting an Oscar for "Sherlock Holmes"

Purist of Sir A. C. Doyle might be a bit put off by the contemporary treatment but I'm sure they will be impressed by the artistry and craftsmanship that went into the making of this film.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I really want to see this one too mate.
You're the second person on here to say that it's a fantastic film...

And 4 's from you man?

You musta enjoyed it.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
OOo i cant find it online ill have to got o the cinema i spose....

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to this one and hope I get a chance to see it at the theater. I've always been a big Sherlock Holmes fan, but don't know that I'd consider myself a purist.

I spent last Saturday afternoon watching the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes marathon on TCM. Basil will always be the "real" Sherlock Holmes to me, just like Johnny Weissmuller is the "real" Tarzan and Sean Connery is the "real" James Bond.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

it was beautiful - wasn't it? Thorough

also - first time in a while since I've seen two guys work that well together

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Basil will always be the "real" Sherlock Holmes to me...

I am more of a fan of the Jeremy Brett TV series. His portrayal of Holmes was what I had always envisioned when reading the books.

As for the movie, although I am a big Downey Jr. fan I may pass on this and wait for the DVD as it does not strike me as the type of Holmes movie I would enjoy.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Saw the trailer when I went to see Avatar, looks great, next film I shall see methinks.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

As for the movie, although I am a big Downey Jr. fan I may pass on this and wait for the DVD as it does not strike me as the type of Holmes movie I would enjoy.

Granted it wasn't a classic Holmes/Doyle treatment but the big screen really brought that time period of London to life. Stunning CGI/green screen work. I don't know if they used Final Cut Pro, but whatever editing suite they used made movie majic.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It was ok, acting was good, plot was a bit shallow, and took a lot from the Dan Brown style conspiracy hype going on at the moment.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It was the best... I honestly was expecting pure horse #. Best film I've seen this year IMO. although i did see dragon ball evolution. :shk:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Guy Ritchie rarely dissapoints, He done a thing with Madonna on an island (I never saw) that was probably terrible, but all of his other films are great, the least liked one would be Revolver but even that is a very stylish take on gangters.

I'd recommend Rock'n'roller to everyone.

Haven't seen Holmes yet but if Whaa likes it i'm sure it must be good.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Chukkles]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I am with you on that one.

Since I like traditional Sherlock Holmes, I want to see the movie, but worried they may change him too much.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Haven't seen it yet but the previews looked very silly and 'slapstick.' Reminded me of The Mummy. As in, entertaining but quirky out of place humor that looks like it would throw off the movie?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

You know, I got the same feeling, Brendan Fraiser with an English accent.

I always thought that Doyle wrote enough character into Holmes that he didn't need to be 'reimagined', even by someone as entertaining as Guy Ritchie.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Watched this last night.

Hated it.

new topics

top topics

join