It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search for my last post in a thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Is there a quick way to search for my last post in a thread besides scrolling through the whole thing? There are many times I'd like to take up reading a thread again at the point that I last posted on it. As far as I can tell, the only options are in the member profile page and are single (which provides a "snapshot" view of that post) and in-thread (which give a list of posts in a certain thread). Neither one gives what page it is on which could be useful in large threads.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
When a thread gets huge I just ad it to my favourites list.
Not the ats favourites list...the one in my browser.
When I need to check a 100 page thread I just go to that and it takes me right there.
If the thread gets bigger again...I delete the old page from my favourites and add the newest page for reference later on.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Thanks, that's useful absent a tool in ATS... maybe this is turning into a suggestion. I didn't know if I was just overlooking something already there or not.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Is this what you are looking for.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

no. I have been asking for the same thing. If you post 3/4 of the way down page 43 of a 125 page thread, and next week, when you get a slow day and want to check out that thread from where you last posted, you have to remember what page your last post was on. There is no magic button to put you into that particular thread on page 43 3.4 of the way down. It would be nice to be able to do that.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Agree. I often lose interest in many bigger threads due to this...do not want to spend 5 minutes looking for where my last post was in everything!

I also feel that this just inspires many more single posts per user in large threads (hell 3-4 pages and on is sometimes a hassle), and blocks conversation.

This been bugging the crap outta me!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It would be nice to have.

I use the Member Profile, but it just displays my single post and doesn't jump to the post I just clicked on. I too have to spend a lot of time searching for my post and I too sometimes get bored and fed up searching and just skip the thread and move onto the next. Mostly, I just search until my eyes bleed.

The webmaster should create a button like the "last post" button and embed a code just like the "last post" button. This icon would be at the far right hand side of every post in your Member Profile.

Instead of the code: /pglastpost
Use the same function within the REPLYTO button: &pid=1234567

Its quite simple, I haven't designed a website in ages though. I was good when HTML was first out

[edit on 30/12/2009 by the_denv]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Flagged in the hope of this becoming a suggestion!

That's the main reason I made an easily identifiable avatar...
so I could scroll thru quickly till I saw it! lol

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
After posting you "last post" in the thread you wish to follow up on later, click on the "this post" button above your post (to get the correct "link"). Then bookmark it in your browser. When you click your bookmark later, it will take you to that exact spot in the thread so you can continue reading. Just an idea.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I agree. I have a hard time finding my posts in the context of a large thread. The ability to jump directly to any of my posts in a thread would be awesome!

What I actually thought would be a much better improvement would be that you could bring up your list of posts (as you currently can), and when you click on a post it takes you to that post in the thread, instead of showing you the post in isolation, which is really quite useless. Sometimes I want to see the progress of the conversation from a particular post that I made.

Anyhow, I don't think it would be that difficult to make the post link jump directly to the post in the thread. A simple PHP change I would think.

This would give a greatly increased benefit.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

Is this what you are looking for.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That mechanism is useless because I don't anyone wants to see just their posts listed, without an ability to jump into the thread at the exact point of that post. When I look up one of my own posts its because I want to see what I said, and then what followed after that. It's the "what followed after that" that is missing. When I click on "in thread" link, it only shows me MY posts. Then if I hit the link to expand to the entire thread, it starts me at the beginning of the thread... definitely not the thing I wanted. Even if it showed just my posts, it would make sense that if I clicked on one of those posts, it would jump into the thread at that point. That way I could click on my post, and read the immediate responses. Then I could hit the back browser button to return to the list of my posts and do the same thing with the next post, etc.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well, at least I know how to do it now. I can just click "this post" and bookmark it. It's amazing that I have been here this long and didn't know that!! :shk:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The only thing I've found that helps is by using the date/time stamps from the "POSTS" tab, in my "Public Profile". It helps narrow down the search some.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This has been driving me mad for some time now. I have often used the date and time of the post to give me an idea what page to jump to, and I can tell if I'm getting close, but there have been times when I have had to search through several pages to get to my actual post. Bookmarking it works if you know in advance that you will be coming back. But it would be better if one of the viewing options was "jump to post" keeping it in context.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The people have spoken! What will be done?

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Paradox.]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I am a complete idiot about how to do this or if it is even possible, but how about just putting the page number in the column with the date/time of the "POSTS" list?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I hit "Control F" That brings up find. You have to search by page, but it also stops at reply posting. Two cents more for the collection

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
While I thought about the same thing for awhile, I decided not to suggest it because I came up with many more negatives than positives.

While it would be convenient for the poster, it would be a real drag to the people actively following a thread.

For example, I post a reply on page 3 of a thread. Next day, I check on the thread and find it has grown to 20+ pages. Well, if I simply go back to page 3 and start replying from there, it would break up the continuity of the thread. You know when we all complain about people that don't read the entire thread, but rather just begin replying? I could see this turning into a situation where people (especially newer members) are more concerned about what they wrote than where the thread went (in terms of topic / updates / discussion).

Further, I also think this would encourage people to not follow-up on a thread as often. I find myself checking threads that I participate in more often simply BECAUSE I don't want to lose track of my post and end-up 10 pages or so behind in the discussion. Knowing you can always pick up where you left off removes some of the urgency/attention. (I don't think most people know to book-mark individual posts)

I think it's a great idea. I just think it has the potential to be abused and become aggravating.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
It would be nice to have.

I use the Member Profile, but it just displays my single post and doesn't jump to the post I just clicked on. I too have to spend a lot of time searching for my post and I too sometimes get bored and fed up searching and just skip the thread and move onto the next. Mostly, I just search until my eyes bleed.

The webmaster should create a button like the "last post" button and embed a code just like the "last post" button. This icon would be at the far right hand side of every post in your Member Profile.

Instead of the code: /pglastpost
Use the same function within the REPLYTO button: &pid=1234567

Its quite simple, I haven't designed a website in ages though. I was good when HTML was first out

[edit on 30/12/2009 by the_denv]

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I've submitted a suggestion.

[edit on 31/12/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv

That's a good suggestion.

I also kinda need a last post by us button in myats subscription, so I don't have to go to the member profile each time.

top topics

join