It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astroid Attack: The Russians Will Save Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Astroid Attack: The Russians Will Save Us

beforeitsnews.com

Anatoly Perminov told the Russian radio station Golos Rossii: "People's lives are at stake. We should pay several hundred million dollars and build a system that would allow us to prevent a collision, rather than sit and wait for it to happen and kill hundreds of thousands of people."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This asteroid was discovered in 2004. At that time the chance of it hitting earth was figured to be one in thirty seven. Now it has been revised to about one in two hundred fifty thousand. So the need to send a craft to kick it off coarse does not seem that great. I would shugest that the astro physics just want to send a craft to it so they can see what will happen. Which that reminds me of an old saying that is usually used with politics, you are your own worst enemy. Meaning what would happen if they do send a craft, and after impact, the asteroid decides to move a little closer to earth?

beforeitsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea. They should be doing this anyways. No sense in waiting till it actually happens before needing it. There is much evidence that comets have hit the earth, and geez, look at the moon, it's appearance attests to the history of impacts, and it is a much smaller body.
We don't need to be in perilous danger in the immediate future for this to be a good idea imo.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is the asteroid:
en.wikipedia.org...

From what I gather all this talk about intercepting it is highly speculative.
www.foxnews.com...

The director of the Russian Fedral Space Agency said, ""I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me it could hit the Earth by 2032," during the interview in which he suggested a possible intercept mission...

However the need for a serious intercept mission at some point in the future is certain, it's just a matter of when. This would be an interesting proof of concept for whatever technology they decide on.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thanks to both who posted.
I will give you the idea of proof of concept. That does make some sense. I just also see the possibility of creating something worse. There is still a long way to go if this even gets off the ground so there is plenty of time for debate before that happens.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I am glad at least one nation is publicly seeking to form a collaborative effort to knock Apophis off course. Even though it is unlikely to hit earth, there is a possibility, and if nothing else, trying to alter its course could serve as good practice for future missions.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
their going to meet in secret? do you know where? are you going to be there? i love secrets that make the news..........

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join