It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 954 Mystery Continues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Almost everyone I know and I have asked most of them, have had a mysterious call from a 954 area code. Usually what happens is that they answer the phone and the person calling just sits there and breathes, sometimes you can hear typical office noises in the background. The same thing happens if the person misses a 954 call and returns the call to find out who it was.

Many theories have been floated around the internet from mkultra mass programming to ghostly dead terrorist continuing to terrorize Americans the only way they can.

This was first talked about here over a year ago and it seems that nothing is resolved.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Visit this link to see if the 954 numbers calling you have been reported yet.
There is hundreds of numbers reported over 6 pages of them!
800notes.com...

954 is an area code from Florida.

Google 954 and prepare to enter the rabbit hole.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I work for a company that utilizes an "automated dialer". The machine calls your home and gives you the opportunity to enter a digit on your phone to complete the call to the live telemarketer.

Not hearing something or someone on the other end when you answer is a glitch. I'm assuming you probably get calls from automated dialers that you DO hear frequently.

Go to the FTC's website, sign up for the "do not call" list, and all these "should" end, or at least you'll have recourse for a complaint.

No conspiracy here, just some aggravating jerks trying to get your money.

[edit on 30/12/09 by MajesticJax]

[edit on 30/12/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

A lot of the comments I read at the number reporting site, I can tell you sound like bill collectors, and some even perhaps phone solicitors.

Here is their MO. They spoof calls to hide their proper dialing location. When I inquired with my phone company, I was told the way they do it is legal. They will call in on a bank of numbers that appear to be random, but if you collect enough records, you will see the calls are indeed from a bank. The dialer or whatever program they are using seems to pick a random number from that available bank.

They call to see if they get a live answer. If a person answers the phone, the call disconnects in a few moments, and the recorded confirmation goes to a live person at a later time. This tactic used to be used a lot when telephone solicitation was legal, before the Do No t Call List came out. It is still in use to create "live" phone lists that companies sell, much like spam mailers do with live email addresses.

For a bill collector, they will call and determine if someone is home, then again, call back at a later time from a legitimate number, and try to speak to you or leave messages. The prefer to not leave messages, however, and simply hang up, because if they leave a message, it counts as their one contact per day allowed by law. They would rather keep flooding your phone until they get a live response.

If you attempt to block the number, they will simply redial you, grabbing another number from the phone bank, every couple of minutes. I literally sat there and started adding every call to my block list until it was full, then starting at the top, deleting the blocks. Eventually, the computer would come around to retrying the blocked numbers again.

They will show on caller ID as follows:

Caller ID#: 954-XXX-XXXX
No Caller ID Name

By the simple fact they show the number is how they legally get away with it, though there is no real connection if you redial the number back. It is a phone line to nowhere.

I was recently subjected to an issue such as this where I recieved anywhere from 30-40 or more phone calls a day, sometimes just minutes apart. I would let the machine get the call if I did not recognize the number.

When they got the machine, they would call back 3 or 4 times from undiscernable/unreachable numbers, then call from a legitimate number and leave a message. It is in this way they are now allowed to call more than is legally allowed, which IIRC by the Fair Credit Act, is once per day between the hours of 8 am and 9 pm.

If you have more than one person trying to reach you, you can easily rake in 40, 50, 60 calls per day. I literally got calls about every 4 minutes.

The instant I answered one of the robo calls with a live voice (their compuuters can tell if it is live or a machine with a signal sent from the machine when it picks up the call), the robo call would disconnect, and less than a minute later, a bill collector would call. If I didn't answer the phone, they would hang up and bombard me with the robo calls.

In some instances, the person sitting at the rrobo dialer will actually listen in, not sure if this is due to not being able to afford a totally computerized system, or when they get frustrated enough trying to reach you they make a live person make note of the call results. I noticed this happened more when I would get the call, pick up and say nothing, and hang up. They would call right back, and I could hear the breathing and typing sounds.

I ended up totally blocking out all incoming calls, and using a filter to only allow in the calls I wished to recieve. Then, I got a cell phone.

I was subjected to horrible phone harrassment as outlined above, for almpst a year. And there was nothing that I could do about it. They had the wrong person, and no matter what I would say or do, they would not stop.

Now my home phone only allows in 12 calls from numbers I have to put on a list, and outgoing calls.

Plain and simple, whoever is getting calls from these numbers, there is a bill collector trying to reach you.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Here also, is callferrets 954 search. A lot of scams coming through that phone bank.

www.callferret.com...

Everything from Credit Card scams to someone claiming to be from a law office threatening lawsuits from GM. INteresting read.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Great info Libertygal
These freaks are calling my cell phone, I never answer them. I stopped using a home phone long ago...who actually needs a home phone?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

I keep my home phone so my family can call. I have older relatives who seem to have a thing about cell phones.

I also like having a land line for my checking account, so I have a number for checks and prefer to use the landline number for all things business related. This keeps my cell phone free for more personal use.

I also got a very cheap package deal on my phone/DSL a long time ago, and I get a discount for having both. I keep renewing the contract, and I keep the same deal. I lose one or the other, and the price almost doubles on both!

Ironically, same thing with my satellite. I have a great package deal that would cost me almost double if I were to change it now.

So, lots of reasons to have both, at least for me. I just wish the landline wasn't almost rendered useless by these wads.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Poor guy knows how to post a thread but doesn't know how to google.

top topics

join