It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California is finally falling into Pacific?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Link to article

Saw this on the news today, and my first thought was those cool graphics seen in 2012 the movie. Nothing too earth shattering here (ha?) but I found it interesting. I feel sorry for those who live there, but seriously-- it's California! Don't those who live there already know that they aren't on the stablest of grounds?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Oops sry, pls delete...

[edit on 12/30/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

This story is from December 17th.

My question is...why on earth would anyone live that close to a cliff?!

Especially one that close to the ocean and 75ft tall!
I don't think California is falling in the Pacific. Just your typical erosion...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I just saw it on TV this morning, so I looked to see if it had been posted, and had not. I agree, it is simple erosion.

Sometimes I am just baffled at people's ideas and decision making, and wanted to share.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
its one building , the state of california isn ot quite ready to go yet

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Give it time. I agree, erosion is a normal fact of life. Im curious as to how much will go though when and if a major earthquake hits.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
As I understand, California is being uplifted by the subduction of the Pacific plate...so while isolated areas may fall into the ocean due to erosion, the whole area is actually rising rather than falling.

I am no expert so if we have a resident earthquaketectonicologist on board, chime in.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Wasn't that close when originally built.

It's just that coastal erosion has been accelerating here for the past decade or so. Some places have been losing ten feet or so a year. It varies, of course, but erosion has long been a problem. On the other hand, some places are accreting, too.

pubs.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This does not mean that California is falling into the Pacific. The majority of the coastland in the San Francisco Bay Area are made of reclaimed land (trash from landfills). If an earthquake was to occur then the reclaimed land would fall, like it has in the past.

This article says that waves hit the apartments and some erosion occured, the erosion was due to the land fills.

The areas highlited in brown are reclaimed land.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5d978e16ed7.jpg[/atsimg]

the city of Pacifica is across the golden gate bridge from San Francisco, a good amount of land on the coast is reclaimed there.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by elfulanozutan0]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Nothing comes close to hurricanes in terms of death and destruction followed closely by tornadoes.

People living in hurricane and tornado prone areas are in much more danger than Californians.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think its time all you guys that are interested with the fact of Cali sinking beneath the waves, to check out these videos. The Earth is in fact growing and apparently there is a HUGE stretch mark of the coast of California. Check this video out, it is very interesting, I assure you:

Here is a playlist of the entire conspiracy on the fact the the Earth is growing:

Youtube Video Playlist: Conspiracy of Science - The Earth is in fact Growing

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
no seriously, you don't understand.

this event doesn't mean that Cali is sinking.

The San Francisco Bay is coverd in landfill, seriously.

A wave hit the reclaimed coastland of Pacifica and it eroded a little.

It's not the actual land of California that eroded.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Anytime I hear about CA falling into the ocean, and watching it happen in "2012", all I can think of is one thing:

"Learn to swim"

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
perhaps I need to clarify. I saw this on the news. Many people have heard stories of, or hold the opinion that California will fall into the ocean when a major earthquake strikes or if a tsunami were to hit. Seeing this poor apartment complex IN California ON the news with tickers screaming that it is falling into the ocean was comical. Not the event itself, but the portrayal of it, and the timing (just after 2012 comes out). I felt this an appropriate forum to share the info.

I understand the reclaimed land part. In fact, my high school in Atlantic City was built on reclaimed land, and I was just as amused when a year later they were concerned as to why it was eroding and "sinking" so quickly.

As to living in California itself, I find it a risk not worth taking myself. certainly tornadoes and hurricanes CAN do more damage, but living on a major fault line just seems like a silly thong to do.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

cool you know that and you can understand the satire of the people freaking the f*ck out.

my uncle lives in the sequoias so if Cali does fall into the ocean he'll have land front property due to the giant valley in the middle of Cali. I could care less if LA feel into the ocean, I hate that pig stay disgrace excuse and example of american materialism. I've been there too many times.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Parts of the UK are falling in to the ocean, they simply move out and go somewhere else. I suppose one should be carefull where they build their houses, I would be interested to see if the houses are still there though, just to see if all the fuss was justified. And i suppose Al Gore will be on the band wagon soon with his global warming thing and the oceans rising which is what is making this happen.
Poor Al Gore

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
California is actually moving EAST and NORTH, so will never 'fall' into the ocean. Eventually though, LA will be right along side of SF.

new topics

top topics

join