It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama orders creation of declassification center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

President Obama created by executive order Tuesday a National Declassification Center to oversee efforts to make once-secret government documents public.

The order comes as part of Obama's promise to push government to err on the side of disclosure as it tackles the need to keep certain information from the public.

In the executive order, Obama instructs the government not to keep secrets forever, eliminates the ability of intelligence officials to veto declassification decisions, and requires agencies to conduct reviews of their classification procedures.

Sounds good so far, the people on the website gives interesting comments
But alot of senseless hating too.

Is this real or just symbolism, or is it both?

Regardless, let's see where this goes.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Interesting, but I'm sure as everyone else here is thinking, nothing very important will be disclosed.

UFO disclosure will not come from this government, they have been actively suppressing it for far too long. Anything implicating any government employees, past or present, will also likely be left classified, or at the very least heavily censored before being released. I am going to operate under the assumption that this is simply a dog and pony show to satiate the masses and improve the administration's image.

However, I do believe that any attempt at encouraging transparency and openness is a step in the right direction.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Throw on your tin foil hats for what I am about to say...

What if little stunts like the one you posted are just a tool to keep the extremist anti-government people (like many here on ATS) a degree below boiling?

It is obvious the MSM (govt. controlled or not) is what keeps the main populace at the ground, but what about the real go getters?

Well, here is your answer.

Tin foil hat off.

Maybe Obama is actually trying to make things better?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Interesting, but I'm sure as everyone else here is thinking, nothing very important will be disclosed.

UFO disclosure will not come from this government, they have been actively suppressing it for far too long. Anything implicating any government employees, past or present, will also likely be left classified, or at the very least heavily censored before being released. I am going to operate under the assumption that this is simply a dog and pony show to satiate the masses and improve the administration's image.

However, I do believe that any attempt at encouraging transparency and openness is a step in the right direction.

"I am going to operate under the assumption that this is simply a dog and pony show to satiate the masses and improve the administration's image."

That's exactly what it is.
And I just had the coolest experience of synchronicity while reading this.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If he and they were really serious about this, they should right off the bat, make EVERYTHIN x out, ceosnroed form the JFK files, EVERYTHING made public* no holds barred...that would reassure me much better he isnt george bush 2*

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This executive order certainly teases the appetite of the hungry. However, this decision will also set forth new guidelines regulating the classification process for new documents as well.

Bottom line. THis is not good. I don't need to know everything about the Cold War. I don't need to know everything about what is currently going on either. None of us do. Documents are classified for a reason. This is just another act in Obama's Dog and Pony Show. It makes it appear that he is actually accomplishing something.

Why now?? In the midst of heavy political debate over healthcare, climate change, recession and now national security. Why?? Distraction!!

[edit on 30-12-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
If he and they were really serious about this, they should right off the bat, make EVERYTHIN x out, ceosnroed form the JFK files, EVERYTHING made public* no holds barred...that would reassure me much better he isnt george bush 2* [/quote

naw

Just have patience. You will learn it in your older years
With patience comes results

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I hope our E.T friends are pressuring him some more. We don't have a lot of time to spare, still need to learn how to raise our vibrations after all.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

America is supposed to be a republic
if you don't want information declassified then you are pretty much anti-american

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Give us anti-gravity technology! I don't care if the government never discloses UFO's, but we need new technologies. They can simply say the technologies were developed by the department of defence and leave it at that. I don't care where the technology came from, as long as we get civilian use of it.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

I swear to you , man a dog barked nextdoor right as I read the words you wrote "dog and pony show"
I even went and started a thread about it just now

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree, it is a dog and pony show and I think nature agrees with me!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

What if little stunts like the one you posted are just a tool to keep the extremist anti-government people (like many here on ATS) a degree below boiling?

I think i can speak for a majority of people they are not anti-government we are Pro-Constitution, and him violating the Constitution and what he promised is where the anger comes from.

As for the 2nd statement, never hes a puppet a fake voice.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by jibeho

America is supposed to be a republic
if you don't want information declassified then you are pretty much anti-american

There you go, taking statements out of context. Documents are routinely declassified without this new order and I am not opposed to this general declassification. However, not every document needs to be declassified just to appease the reality TV, 24/7, tabloid crowd. Trust me, certain things are better left classified for the sake of the public psyche. My father was and ASA officer during 3 tours in Vietnam and there is info that he will take to his grave.

TMI can lead to disturbance which can lead Obama down the road to more authority over his people. Perhaps that is part of the plan. Create distrust with the government of old to encourage support for the new regime.

Anti American?? I think not. Time to get your head out of your...cloud.

This is from Obama

In a memo to agency heads, Obama said he expects that the order will produce "measurable progress" toward greater openness in government while also protecting the nation's most important secrets.

I just wish he practiced what he is preaching here with regards to his closed door negotiations and deals for Obamacare. There is more to this than meets the eye.

townhall.com...

[edit on 30-12-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

It is obvious the MSM (govt. controlled or not) is what keeps the main populace at the ground, but what about the real go getters?

Well, here is your answer.

Tin foil hat off.

I agree it is just another tool in the arsenal to make us believe the government is opening up when in reality it is most likely just trying to divert our movements strength and perked up ears and staring eyes away from the truth just long enough for them to pull a fast one on us.
Just my theory on the matter...Take it or leave it.

LifENcircleS

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Double Post...Please Delete

LifENcircleS

[edit on 12/30/2009 by LifENcircleS]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Making a prediction......a flood of new documents will be declassified taht will villify and make opponents of Obama and his party look bad while seemingly nothing bad about democratic actions and administartions. Call me silly....

new topics

top topics

join