It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there a debating contest on ATS ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
reply to post by schrodingers dog

"A debate is like verbal chess"

That is one hell of a quote man!

In all fairness it was nef who said that not meez ...

I view it more like this:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

In the aftermath of the Great Peeing contest of 2003, where it got REAL ugly, the higher-ups decided this was a far more sanitary and safe way to determine who should be Alpha-Member.

I like 'em, from a distance!

[edit on 30-12-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
I like 'em, from a distance!

Why don't you come in then? I don't bite............... much.

The Debate Forum is one of the few areas on ATS that the T&C are enforced TO THE MAX. No BS. No ideology. Sometimes you have to argue against you own ideology. It's about learning debate skills. I would like to see how ATS "fighters" fair against people from other boards. I think we would do well.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You know that saying, "Jack of all trades, Master of none"?

That's how I feel, I'm not ready I fear. I've witnessed some of those debates mate and they are impressive.

Not too sure how I'd hold up! (What a wuss!)

But I'll take the plunge eventually, I can't wait forever for them to bring back the peeing contest!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Well the only way you are going to get better is by practicing

By the way, if you want practice, you can always hit up someone about debating a topic of your choice. Thats how I started

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Well the only way you are going to get better is by practicing

By the way, if you want practice, you can always hit up someone about debating a topic of your choice. Thats how I started

You're right...of course.

I'll get there, one day!

Cheers for the kick in the butt guys! Much appreciated!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

You can use me as your "practice girl" as I'm not very good and will hardly put up a fight.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
I have to wonder why there is a debating contest on a site whos subject matter requires not debate but investigation.

Part of the investigation involves debating. At times, throughout ATS, instead of civilized debating, this part of the investigation process takes it's ugly form, arguing. These controlled debates offer a structured, civilized and respectful means of putting two sides of an issue, side by side. That's why they're here, and they're fun to read sometimes.

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.” - J. Joubert.

The part in bold is one possible result of an ATS debate. The part in italics is what you're proposing, settling a question without debating is like a stupid bald man paying for a haircut; he'll pay the money and happily walk away, but what has he really achieved?

[edit on 30/12/2009 by serbsta]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I've practiced "girl". I can't see me losing this debate. I'll see either you or Americandingbat in the next round. Bring your stuff.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

You can use me as your "practice girl" as I'm not very good and will hardly put up a fight.

Best offer I've had in ages!

Thanks man!

Although reading your post again, I feel I should get some clarification on the word "hardly"!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Thanks man!

you're quite welcome ... we can also debate if you wish.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Thanks man!

you're quite welcome ... we can also debate if you wish.

I'd be mad to start with ATS's resident intellectual!

Not only because I'd lose, but just in case I WON, where else would there be to go??

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I'd be mad to start with ATS's resident intellectual!

Not only because I'd lose, but just in case I WON, where else would there be to go??

There's a camaradiere amongst the "fighters". It's not elitist. When you bang heads against other well spoken people you develope a respect for your opponent. You may be diametrically opposed in your thoughts/beliefs but you respect where the member is coming from. I believe this is the best of ATS. My opinion.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I've never quite understood those titles, how does one get them, especially the 'fighter' one?

I'm beginning to realise that they are quite important.

I must admit, the debates I have witnessed have been of the highest quality, and the mutual respect shown has always been first class.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why must I debate? I'm a master debater
, can't let the skills go to waste. JK

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I've never quite understood those titles, how does one get them, especially the 'fighter' one?

You just have to ask. Most don't want to be "fighters".

I'm beginning to realise that they are quite important.

I must admit, the debates I have witnessed have been of the highest quality, and the mutual respect shown has always been first class.

I believe so as well. Jump in man. You may not win first off. I lost my first 3 debates. I'm 9-0 since then. It sharpens you language skills. It also works for you in RL.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

that and we get to hurl really fun insults and dogma at each other

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Debates give a SURPURB opportunity for our GREAT and INTELLIGENT members to have civilized arguments on important matters. That is all...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join