It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's plan to save the earth from asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The asteroid of concern is Apophis.
news.yahoo.com...

"When the 270-meter (885-foot) asteroid was first discovered in 2004, astronomers estimated the chances of it smashing into Earth in its first flyby in 2029 were as high as 1-in-37, but have since lowered their estimate."

Is this a proof of concept run?
Are their calcuations different?
Are we wasting a possible shot in the event another worse asteroid threat appears?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well, what do you believe in?

If you believe in God, you shouldn't fear this or any other asteroid.

If you believe ETs are here among us, then they will probably protect our planet. If they wanted to destroy us, they would have done so. That means they want us here, so even if they are evil, they would protect us, their herd.

If you believe we have secret technology and that we are already mining the moon and mars, then we would have the technology, even if it is a secret technology, to save our arses.

If you dont believe in god, in aliens, or in our advanced secret technologies, well, THEN you should be worried, because that means that we are what we are. There is no super power protecting us and that we will have to figure out by ourselves how to best deal with that.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by henriquefd

I'm sure a lot of people who believed in God were killed during Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami that was caused by an undersea earthquake in 2004. If you believe in God, you're still going to get killed by natural disasters because fictional characters do not affect continental drift and weather patterns.

If you believe ETs are here among us, then they will probably protect our planet. If they wanted to destroy us, they would have done so. That means they want us here, so even if they are evil, they would protect us, their herd.

The fact that A has not destroyed B is not an indication that A wants B to exist or that A would care whether or not B is destroyed by some other independent force. Your logic is flawed. Continuing my previous analogy using Hurricane Katrina, the fact that the US government had not previously nuked New Orleans off the face of the Earth was not proof indicator that they would move in to protect the city when it was threatened. It took FEMA five days to drinking water to the people taking refuge in the superdome.

The US government has not nuked North Korea off the map - should we interpret this as a sign that the US government wants North Korea to exist and would move in to protect North Korea if for some reason South Korea decided to attack it and reclaim territory?

If you believe we have secret technology and that we are already mining the moon and mars, then we would have the technology, even if it is a secret technology, to save our arses.

What does mining the moon have to do with destroying a giant rock hurtling towards us at thousands of miles per hour. We've been mining the Earth for a quite a while but I believe most scientists would be hesitant to say that we could without a doubt stop an asteroid. The astronauts who went to the moon brought hammers and returned with rocks - they could have easily brought some demolitions with them too. Would this have any bearing on our capability of destroying an asteroid? Probably not. We don't even have the manpower or facilities to observe more than a fraction of the sky to look for asteroids in the first place.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Just a cheap publicity stunt from the head of the Russian space agency. They want more funding, that's all.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7

I'm sure a lot of people who believed in God were killed during Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami that was caused by an undersea earthquake in 2004. If you believe in God, you're still going to get killed by natural disasters because fictional characters do not affect continental drift and weather patterns.

But if you believe in God why are you afraid to die? If there is a God doesnt that mean you have a soul? Doesnt that mean you are more than your body? That life is more than this short period you spend on Earth? Doesnt that mean that once you die you unite yourself with God? Shouldnt that be beautiful?

In that case, let the asteroid come!

[edit on 30-12-2009 by henriquefd]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
if this was a threat, well I hate to be nationalist, but the US would take care of it. This is a bit like a country like Chile saying they are going nuclear. I dont buy it.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
if this was a threat, well I hate to be nationalist, but the US would take care of it. This is a bit like a country like Chile saying they are going nuclear. I dont buy it.

As you can tell from my previous post, I'm not buying what Mr.Perminov says, at least for the face value, but look, Russia ain't no Chile. Right now their launch capacity is probably better than that of the United States.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

In the case of Russia(supposedly atheist) I guess they don't believe in God. Not sure about aliens..

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
if a supreme being wants the earth to end by an asteroid, it will, sorry russia you arent going to save the world

top topics

join