Russia Considers Rocket to Deflect Asteroid Apophis 2029

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
why even bother doing anything at all?

If our governments are hand in hand with ET's, then surely ET can move it for us?

Then again, we can send a dummy rocket and shoot it anywhere, get ET to move it and the governments of the Earth take the credit.....

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

The Russian Republic is doing things of late in what seems to be a haphazard fashion.

Then again, look at our political circus and international missteps. At least our

science announcements sound a bit more sane.

It is tempting to write off this Russian announcement about intent to start

researching an asteroid deflection. They just picked the most popular rock.

I hate thinking about the roughly 90% that are uncatalogued. That,

surely, will give us only days/ hours to address an uncatalogued intruder.

Better someone starts working on contigencies now.

(Plus, nuke missiles targeted at incoming PHA's are better than targeted

at US cities!!!)

[edit on 12/30/2009 by drphilxr]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TypeSH2001

TypeSH2001 - can you offer up a link to that bible code worldline #1 and #2

you just mentioned? THAT is the most curious thing said yet, because

I am a strong believer in the graham everett (wheeler) hypothesis of

multiple worldlines, and how each much diverge around 'strange attractor'

(chaos theory) future events - how much our worldline diverges away

from catastrophe is a valuable insight.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
reply to post by TypeSH2001

TypeSH2001 - can you offer up a link to that bible code worldline #1 and #2

you just mentioned? THAT is the most curious thing said yet, because

I am a strong believer in the graham everett (wheeler) hypothesis of

multiple worldlines, and how each much diverge around 'strange attractor'

(chaos theory) future events - how much our worldline diverges away

from catastrophe is a valuable insight.

You may remember the shows on cable tv (History Channel, etc.) entitled The Bible Code I and II, where you have a group of Rabbi's, Mathematicians, and code experts who report on the Five Books of Moses/The Torah being used as a guide to Man's history (past, present, future), with much emphasis on the 20th century going into the early 21st century.

Here's a link to a summary of the shows:
www.halexandria.org...

You can check out the codes for yourself using specialized software if you have the time, but it would be a great time saver if you know Hebrew (read about Sir Isaac Newton in the link).

In the early '90's when I was really into this stuff and learning about the Old Testament, New Testament, and the Koran, along with the myriads of interpretations, laws, etc., it was clear to me that all of these ancient religious texts are saturated with prophecy and mysticism - the Old Testament by far - IF you examine them from a non-religious point of view (a non-biased bird's eye view).

Keep your eyes open for the tv shows "Bible Code I & II" on cable, if you have access. It's muy interesting!!!! Hope that answers your question.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
On the other hand, perhaps this Russian announcement — calling for global cooperation — is simply another hoax, as was the manmade global warming hoax, an attempt to frighten the masses into accelerating the globalization agenda.

I mean, in the last 5 years or so, we've seen one fear-mongering tactic after another laid on our collective doorstep, warning of natural and manmade cataclysms supposedly endangering the whole of humanity: the manmade global warming hoax, the global pandemic hoax, the supervolcano hoax, the giant tsunami hoax, as well as the asteroid impact hoax.

Anyone who has tuned into the so-called "learning channels" on cable (such as the Science Channel, the History Channel, the Discovery Channel, etc) over the last 5 years can readily attest to the fear-mongering and hysterical sensationalism that these educational outlets have been ramming down our throats, most of which has little or no foundation in solid Science whatsoever.

I'm inclined to think this asteroid threat is just one more global hoax.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 12/30/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Here's the latest in the long line of articles: Scientific American. Turns out Apophis is rated a zero on the danger scale.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
On the surface this Russian gesture appears benign. There is something about this gesture that smells of an insider ponzi/extortion scheme. I see the scheme of getting nations and international agencies to put up billions of dollars in funding and then like so often we could discover that the program or project has decided to discontine or fails to proceed due to something that prevents the mission from ever being executed. In this way they spend billions of dollars for decades until the funding dries out and then you declare failure or a cesation to the project which you knew was never going to be executed in the first place no matter how many decades fly by or how much money you throw at it. Since this idea is very far fetched I will go even further with another theory which to me sounds more plausable.

Instead I theorize that Russia already knows they can use their new secret Norway Spiral technology or new super secret weapon to blast the asteroid any day of the week with a high rate of success. In theory Russia may have already proven to the nations being asked for money that the Norway Spiral incident could have been a test blast at a preselected asteroid in the area which has already measured some amount of deflection and thus proves to the scientist of other nations that the Russian claim of a super weapon is indeed true and viable.

If it is to be used in a manner that could destroy or deflect asteroids before they endanger the Earth, then it only makes sense that someone in Russia wants to be paid to take on such responsibility. As such what we are seeing in the media may be the extortion or payment method contrived to keep the public from knowing that Russia has perhaps said: Pay us billions of dollars and we will use our secret weapon to continue to destroy the asteroids threatening Earth before it becomes too dangerous. We will display our weapon and you will measure the deflection and listen to your own scientist to determine we have done what we claim we can do.

We could have witnessed the biggest test of a weapon that Russia desires and appears to use it to make money from those nations that wont have to waste billions on their own projects that could have marginal success at best. I just had to throw this out there because as I said in the beginning, something doesnt look or feel right and besides, what we are seeing in the Russian gesture is the direction that our foreign policy will have to adjust to and no matter super weapon or not sooner or later we as a nation may no longer be at the top of the list. When some other nation comes up with some form of technology which could also be a new super weapon we better pay attention because to date our Secretary of State is asleep at the wheel and when other nations no longer respect us or even gives us the courtesy of a call to participate is when we truly will be the proverbial "Red Headed Step Child" in an international community which we no longer lead or influence. On that day we will be the third rate nation that many in office want us to become. It could also be the final proof to many American politicians that they better get ready to eat humble pie because if they dont then what will come out of this Russian gesture will be the seeds of a world war which keeps the truth from the public and perpetuates the possibility of a major world war for technolgy instead of the normal quest for guns, oil and drugs.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think the real reason they are doing this is so that when they uncover their technology for 'shooting asteroids' the general public will take it with a pinch of salt, however, I am a firm believer in my heart that the heat is going to get turned up very soon with our galactic neighbours. Project bluebeam anyone?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was just watching CNN Situation Room and they gave it a good 20 seconds coverage with a big picture of an asteroid in the background... not sure if it was Apophis or a stock photo. Scary all the same!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

An 800-foot wide asteroid that smacks into the Earth, after passing through our atmosphere, is certainly NOT going to produce "a small tsunami".

Obviously, it more than likely will land in the ocean given the statistics. But to think this is a pebble dropping in is a little too light.

Is it going to wipe out millions of people? Unlikely. Unless of course it lands in the middle of NYC. Then, it most certainly would.

But what about something the size of the asteroid that dug out Meteor Crater in Arizona? That 600-foot-deep (180-meter) hole in the ground, popular now with tourists, is less than 50,000 years old and was created by a space rock so small that another one like it might not be noticed until it hits.

The Arizona culprit was only about 66 feet (20 meters) wide. But instead of fragile stone, it was composed mostly of iron. Examples linked with the online impact-effect program show how to specify this harder, more destructive material. A rock this size (though not of this density) is thought to hit Earth every 158 years, on average.

I duplicated the Meteor Crater script in Newark, New Jersey, 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Manhattan as the crow flies.

Location, of course, is everything. A nearly mile-wide crater is dug in New Jersey. A moderate earthquake of magnitude 4.7 rattles the region. New York City has handled such temblors in the past and largely endures. No significant ejecta hits Manhattan, and winds reach an insignificant 3.7 mph.

So I cranked it up a bit.

An asteroid the size of two football fields, even if stony in nature, is another story. It carves a crater in New Jersey that's 2 miles wide (3.4 kilometers). The resulting earthquake is magnitude 6.4, enough to frighten the pants off New York City emergency planners. A rock this size hits the planet about every 14,000 years.

Emphasis added by me. Link: www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Russia is going to save the world?
How ironic.

Does that mean they won the space race too?
And they are now the policemen of the world?

You know what NASA stands for?
Need Another Seven Astronauts!

Sorry, just makin' jokes here....

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I will really be impressed if the Russians can divert this asteroid, but in the meantime, break off a piece of it and make sure it hits Washington, D.C.

Oh, those Russkies! You know they are evil, right?

Just rambling here folks. Don't mind me. And from the looks of my foes list, most don't.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Wow ....

Lets hope the rocket they send up works better than the one that created the Norway Spiral

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
There is something about this gesture that smells of an insider ponzi/extortion scheme.

Right-O... Remember when all these nations were "cooperating" on the International Space Station project, but Russia was going so far over budget and years over deadline that it was jeopardizing the whole operation? NASA was pretty pissed because it appeared that Russia was, once more, leaving it up to the USA to finance and implement the whole project.

That seems to be a common scheme the world over — they come up with these brilliant ideas (such as the Kyoto Accord) for cleaning up manmade pollution and saving the planet, but nobody wants to participate unless the USA picks up the whole tab and shells out hundreds of billions of dollars in freebies to the biggest CO2 offenders.

Kind of puts the success or failure of civilization squarely on the shoulders of the USA, doesn't it? Same as it's been for the last century.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
ridiculous, there going to shoot a tsar bomba out into space in hopes to deflect a friggen asteroid when they cant even fire a rocket from the ground, ummm...

they'll have better luck firing bruce willis into space with a tac hammer

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
And here I sit, thinking that the U.S. had a monopoly on knowing what's best for the world. Without my expressed written consent they can not do this, as it is my planet too.

Have these fools not seen Armageddon? They can't deflect this thing, they need to drill into the core and manually set off a nuclear device. I nominate Putin to be the one to do it...since he likes danger & adventure so much.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
In a strange sorta way I hope Apophis does hit the earth, yer that would be interesting to see what happens!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
In a strange sorta way I hope Apophis does hit the earth, yer that would be interesting to see what happens!

I'm down for that, so long as it lands in Russia. Preferably in Anatoly Perminov's back yard

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It seems like this is a job for Dark Matter-either the ability to manufacture it to create a greater gravational pull to tug the Asteriod away from Earth, or the design of an Anti-Dark Matter Component that causes the Asteriod to break apart from the matter that binds it together.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE

I'm down for that, so long as it lands in Russia. Preferably in Anatoly Perminov's back yard

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Aggie Man]

Na Man I wanna see it land in the ocean and send up a thousand foot tidal wave that sweeps across the land and sweeps it clean and all the politician drowned !

[edit on 30-12-2009 by MOTT the HOOPLE]

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join