It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 gears up for explosion of 3D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

2010 gears up for explosion of 3D

news.bbc.co.uk

TV manufacturer LG wants to sell nearly half a million 3D-ready TV sets next year as the World Cup kicks off in the format.

Meanwhile laptops and games consoles are also getting a 3D makeover.

Acer has already released what it is claiming is the world's first 3D-capable laptop, and most agree it will be the first of many.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Ok so three D will become the big thing in the next year. So what do all of your think. Do you like using three D technology? I have seen some fabulous three D effect at theaters made for showing three D, along with some great animation. I had not thought of trying to use three D with my computer. Bringing all this three D into our homes does make me thing of one more possibility, could this the PTB latest attempt at mind control?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
As far as I'm aware, these 3D technologies all require a special pair of glasses, with different types available.

The last thing I want is to need a different pair of glasses for every tv in the house because they are different makes, aswell as more for the computers.

And then what happens if we lose them, glasses must be among the items most frequently lost; we'd be stuck watching a tv in funny colours because we don't have the 3D glasses.

It sounds like a lot of effort with a big chance of confusion and annoyance attatched, all to 'improve' something we have enjoyed the way it is for decades. Flat is fine.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

StevenDye
thanks for posting, and yes so far as I know all three D technology will still require some sort of glasses. But that means different manufacturers will be offering different types of glasses, and those who like three D can find the ones that work best for them. I don't think would like using three D for everything. If I get a large screen monitor and tv that might change, but not right now.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think there is a display from Philips that doesn't require glasses instead the screen is covered in a polarised film, although that is reflected in the cost, £7000 I believe.

Sony are testing 3D games, Wipeout 3D being one of the titles. Gaming in particular is about to evolve, project natal, 3D displays...

Sendran.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Yeah, Philips is working on 3D display technologies for computers and TVs, the price is still unafforably high but they will decrease by next year. And don't worry, other manufactures are working on it too, so you won't need glasses for any of the devices released in mid 2010.

Mind Control? maybe, but not likely. Just technology progressing. I would rather worry about mind control via sound.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm all for it, means more work for us starving CG artists (cough cough) and most likely the companies that make our software to finally get off their collective rears and fix issues we've all had with the programs.. Anything at this point to make some progress rather than the CG pit we're stuck in.

There is nothing worse than stagnating the technology, as for the glasses, there are things being done to try and ellivate the need for them ans still get a decent 3d immersion experience. Stereoscopy is so 1800s...

Oh and it's very very hard to embed extra info in a true 3d image, anything at all is off by even a micron and it ruins the effect, so I don't think subliminal messages or mind control is possible just through the use of 3d tech.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
3D gaming for PC is already avaliable. I own 3D glasses from Nvidia along with a Samsung 3D capable monitor and all I can say is WOW
The 3D effect is very realistic, its something you have to experience for yourself to understand.

3D is a natural progression in video technology but I cant wait for its successor: Holographic television!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
i play call of duty modern warfare with my 3d nvidia glasses and ITS amazing, so real and it just feels like your there, i think 3d anything will bring a sense of adventure to people and make you feel like your places where you never thought you would be in

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I can imagine the soccer ball coming at my head at 60 mph and my reflexes kick in... oops, sorry honey....

Still, seems like it would be nice. Especially for shows like Avatar...

[edit on 30-12-2009 by ByteChanger]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
3D, if done well, is really the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was in IMAX 3D cinema a few years back, and I still remember the experience. I simply felt like I was there.
But then I went to see Avatar in a smaller local cinema, and altough 3d effect was good, it wasnt as deep as in IMAX. So I think the effect varies greatly.

I personaly dont mind wearing 3d glasses, if it makes 3d better, or cheaper.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'll be benefiting financially from this, so I'm quite happy.

And not all forms of 3D require glasses.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE

And not all forms of 3D require glasses.

Yes, but all glasses-less 3D technologies are in experimental stage and very expensive. 3D effect using good circularly polarised or stutter glasses is still the best choice, both quality-wise and cost-wise. As much as I would like to see real glasses-less 3D, it should not be at the expense of effect quality.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Maslo]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Yes, but all glasses-less 3D technologies are in experimental stage and very expensive.

This is completely false. Next week I'll be meeting with a CEO of a company that deals solely with 3DS and other 3D technologies that do not require glasses, headgear, etc. So to say that "all" are experimental or very expensive is very premature. Also, while some technologies may be expensive, you have price drops in other areas such as new mo cap systems and other technologies that are drasticially cutting down on rendering times (and space for rendering farms.) So a company looking to enter into this arena can have their cost offset a number of ways.

3D effect using good circularly polarised or stutter glasses is still the best choice, both quality-wise and cost-wise.

See above, and I'm sure many people who'll be attending the 3D Gaming Summit in Aprl will also disagree.

As much as I would like to see real glasses-less 3D, it should not be at the expense of effect quality.

Refer to all previous comments, or feel free to send me a U2U and we can discuss this further. In fact, if you're in the Bay Area of California, I'll even see if it's ok to bring you along for the presentation.

Edited to add:

www.thewrap.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Thanx for the invitation, but I am from europe, so it wont be possible, altrough I would definitely like to go.

Maybe they are not experimental, some are commercially available so that was not the appropiate word, but they offer less quality than glasses-3D, and cost much more. They may be good for advertising, but for movies and games, there is only one best choice now - good 3D glasses.
Holographic displays have the potential to offer even better image quality than stereoscopy, because they convey accomodation information too in addition to stereoscopic information, but full-motion compatible holograms are still in experimental and prototype stage, and require new kind of data stream..

top topics

join