It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Member...what next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hello all, bit nervous here, I've just joined. Being lurking here for about 2 years. Really enjoy watching the ping pong that goes on and the intellectual debates. Thought it might be time I joined. So I really don't know what to do next. I am a nervous nelly! Aaah, gulp!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

relax chill out, never take things personally.
Welcome on board, just drop me a u2u if you ever have any questions, happy to help out.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Relax...

Now that, that is over, welcome to ATS.

Remember, Alien Rectal Probes = Bad

Discussing it = Interesting at least.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

Welcome.

I recommend doing your research and then getting involved in the topics that interest you. It's really up to you what you do next. If you bone up enough on a subject you can post your own thread about it (though some here seem to post without doing any research, but as lurker of 2 years I'm sure you know that
)

See ya out there

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hi to all who replied to my tepid, whimpy post, lol...

I am very grateful that anyone replied at all. I still have no idea what to do here, hoping this makes a reply at least to you all! lol...hey we are all learner drivers once in our lives.

Yes, I've been lurking here for a couple of years. But man, people can get so damned aggressive for what seems apparently no reason. Either people have nothing better to do, or this site pays for professional de-bunkers, either that or the CIA is onto it. I know this has been discussed before here.

How bloody safe am I here now that I'm here?

I'm from Oz by the way. And thanks for making me welcome.

Cheers,
Maxybon

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

Welcome to ATS Maxybon! Yep, it looks a bit differently once you sign up, doesn't it?

Safety......... you mean as in internet security? I think we're as safer here than most places on the 'net, however I believe that our info/data security is our own responsibility. Perhaps I'm yet another paranoid loon, but often I won't click on a link embedded by a member here, if it goes to a site that I don't know. If my virus software alerts on a link (that's its job afterall), then I pass on it.

Safety as in being monitored by various government agencies? It's possible. Some here believe it's highly probable.

You might find the Freshman Forum and Q & A Forum to be useful (setting up an avatar, BB code, etc.).

See you on the boards!

edit to add: If your first threads that you create are based around a link to a story, it's useful to do a search for the story first, to make sure it hasn't already been posted (search box in upper right of your toolbar) . You'll find your way around; You'll have to make 20 posts before you can use the U2U (private mail) feature, and you use the same screenname/password to go into BTS, as well as to use your ATS media account.

[edit on 30/12/09 by argentus]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

The only advice I can offer it try to be objective. Reply at will as long as you have SOME grasp of the subject matter.

If you start a thread, be prepared to be questioned from every angle but ignore those who are fishing for a bite.

Continue lurking as such but have your say when you feel you need to.

This is what I have learned.

Maxybon eh? Why do I suddenly feel like an icecream?......

[edit on 30-12-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

Hey there maxybon, and welcome to ATS.

If you've been lurking for a couple of years then you'll already have an idea of where the problems can arise and the usual suspects who tend to create said problems.

Remember if things get too scary or unpleasant you can always press the 'ignore' button ... and the mods are generally pretty good at stepping in if things get out of hand.

The main thing about being a member here is that you will get to meet some really nice people and swap ideas about subjects that usually get frowned upon in polite company
... here the weird tends to be the 'norm' ... and I feel like I fit right in.

The golden rule here is ... enjoy yourself !

Woody

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

How bloody safe am I here now that I'm here?

That depends largely on your frame of mind. I recommend always remembering that you do not have to reply to any post. You can always walk away.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well hi! I'm relatively new to posting also, and my only advice is to find what you have an interest in, and post if you have something to add. Simple
There are many posts that i end up coming to late, and my reply has been posted already, but that's ok! i hope to run into you on the boards, and welcome again!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I suggest posting a really controversial stand point in your Inroduction. Normally seems to warm newbies to the local inhabitants.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by maxybon

If you have been lurking around for two years,why the timid approach?
I think you are posing as a guppy to lure all the sharks to you,then wham,
the sharks discover you are a hunter! This is just one of my feelings...

If you are timid,shy and a little nervous,just relax and enjoy the show!
I spend about 6 hours a day here.You can learn a lot and laugh a lot.I,do
both and enjoy every bit of it.

Keep a close eye on your threads,it is easy for some to take your thread
into a direction you hadn't intended.A sense of humor is almost required
for membership.Also,don't be easily offended,keep yourself focused on
the topics.Some members will try and see just how tough you are.They
will push, any and all buttons,to get a rise out of you.

Please,read the rules,be courteous to other members,avoid profanity and
you will get along fine.Welcome to ATS!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Thanks so much for all your tips, I really appreciate the 'mentoring'.

Maxybon by the way is a take on my rabbit's name. His name is Max and his name, well.... just evolved into Maxybon. He's an absolute clown, does spastic spins in the air and flys into the air, I swear I've put no drugs in his feed bowl...honest...

Think I will take some tips and bone up on the protocols first. I have to do 20 posts first before I do my first thread? OK, that seems easy enough. My biggest challenge will be posting pix, links etc, but suppose I'll learn as I go along.

Thanks again Guys, happy new year! 10pm here in Oz, pub is gearing up next door and things are rockin'....

Cheers,
Maxybon

new topics

top topics

join