It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about spell checker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
after reading through several threads today, I've come to the conclusion that for the most part, today's society are terrible spellers!

Is there any chance of having a spell checker here at ATS? once you type in a response to a thread, when you hit "post new topic", then the "spell checker" takes over and looks for spelling errors ?

Just curious.

thanks

by the way.... I do not claim to be a good speller either.. as a matter of fact, I'm terrible...

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i have poor grammer and spelling as well, but like your posts, mine are still readable. some peoples are in the grade school level, if not entirely unintelligable. it's not a spell/grammer checker that needs to be introduced, that'll just make people even more lazy. people need to actually LEARN how to type, spell, punctuate, and use proper grammer!

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... In short... given our size and traffic... too much of a strain on the server. Boolean search is your friend Spell Check [Edited on 24-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wes no nead no stenkin spel cheker!

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
ieSpell

a free spell checker that integrates into your web browser.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Someone last night was basing a lot on how people spell and thier grammer. Kind of ticked me off...lol I was terrible at spelling and grammer in high school. But I don't assume anything about a person from thier use of grammer and spelling. Cause I too, am a terrible speller. Often I am just to lazy to go back and check things over, although here, a lot of the time I do, because I understand that some people will assume, and base opinion on grammer. I am checking out that spell checker as we speak. I hope it works. Handy thing to have. Thank you!

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Often it's a matter of typing too fast. Also this is an international board, so some people's first language is not English. Remember how difficult it was for us to learn it, and it's our language.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
good replies everyone, and good points.

Skeptic, I wasn't sure how it would affect the resources here at ATS, so I appreciate your reply.

Everyone else, yes I agree, we need to become better spellers, not more lazy by having a spell check do our work for us.

Also thanks for the links to the free spell checkers guys, I might download one at home, but better not do it here at work.

J

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Actually, I don't think having a spell checker is lazy, because once you use it, you can see where you messed up and try not to make the same mistake again. I have found this to be true a lot of the time. If you pay attention to the mistakes, you can avoid them in the future. And yeah, typing fast is another problem, I am a fast typer, so I make a lot of typos which I have fondly put the term of "Typonese" to. I speak it fluently!

But over the years I have gotten a lot better at spelling and grammer on the web.
You sort of have to after a while if you visit a lot of forums or chats. It just kind of happens and you improve.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I think spell check would be good, but as S.O said it would just put too much strain on the server and we dont need that now do we. I usually spell horribly when i'm talking to people on AIM or something but on ATS I try my best to type well. How am I doing?

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
after reading through several threads today, I've come to the conclusion that for the most part, today's society are terrible spellers!
[Edited on 24-5-2004 by elevatedone]

I am 1 of those terrible spellers(sometimes that is!) so a spellchecker would be a great idea but that up to Simon and SO.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by drunk]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Check out the link to the spell checker for IE,
works great!

Thanks a million!

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
how bout a grammar check too

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Well if I make a large post I tend to do it with word and use it's spell checker. Then I cut it and past it to the board. The main reason is not for the spell check though, it's to avoid frustration by those few times when you write a large post only to have a browser crash or lost connection destroy your work.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
exdog, thanks for iespell.
I noticed it ONLY works of IE and IE-based browsers (like Avant).

There is another stand-alone spell chack I've used. Of course, you must cut and paste, but oh well, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
www.spellcheck.net...

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Einstien was a horrid speller! English is a hodge-podge of languages, rules are rarely universal or logical. Memorization is the only way to "learn" proper spelling.

Spelling is one thing, grammar another. Anyone can make simple spelling errors, grammatical mistakes however, make reading much more difficult.

Is there a spell-checker that works with Netscape???

new topics

top topics

join