It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free broadcast TV may go way of the VHS tape

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I just want to say i opened a similar thread to this a while back which died on its arse ! I wanted peoples views on why the gov'ts (i'm in Britain) had pushed for digital so vehemently ! Was it simply an innocent ploy because digital was the way forward or was there a hidden agenda and they wanted the analogue signals for a more sinister purpose ? Don't put anything past anyone if there is money to be made ! They'll squeeze every last penny out of us ! They have us by the balls as they say !

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Then people like us on ATS can snake the analog channels and make our own crazy alex jones type show..

Eh?? Who's with me on this one??

The 'analogue' bandwidth has already been sold off - prob gonna be used for hi speed wifi'ish type of connection... There is a standard that is being tested out that 'feels' the various wavelengths and just flicks to another one if say some noisy taxi driver is talking about his girlfriend... Digital is the way to go... You can pick which crap you tune into

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I was about to comment that I could see this as a great thing. People, especially the lovely trashy ones, could stop wasting days and nights glued in front of the box.

Then I remembered my life among them. They dont really watch television. They spend all their time standing around on the sidewalks drinking alcohol and harassing each other until the inevitable fight breaks out, stabbing, then the police arrive to a bunch of wailing animals who "didnt see nothin."

TV watching wasnt their problem.

Anyway, good for government. Kill it all off. Lets get some travel restrictions going while we're at it. Dietary restrictions. Mandated activities and participation. I'm getting a little tired of totalitarian-lite and could use some full bore fascism.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
There has beena lot of debate over this issue over the years, used to be that you couldn't get certain channels on satellite (I Used to have one of those huge CBand dishes) due to your proximity to being able to receive them over the air. Now it's all about charging the cable companies 50 cents or so to carry the channels, all to pay for the cost of the satellite transmission to them (or fiber or , you get the jist).

The advertising revenues are down, the broadcast stations NEED to make money to survive, so this just seems like the next logical step to keeping the Big 4 on the air (I do not nor will I ever consider the CW a true broadcast network) The hype put out by companies such as Time Warner Cable recently are just that, hype, designed to make people so afraid that they will bombard the opposition with mail/email/calls etc in an attempt to get them to capitulate.
in other words, it's good PR, nothing more, nothing less, broadcast companies have been charging the cable providers a nominal fee for years, they just want to raise it 10 cents and all hell breaks loose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join