It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
In my life time, i've met several people who seem to have the ability to "Switch it off" so to speak when they meet one of "these" people on the street, or by the water cooler (ill get to who "those" people are in a moment)

Even here on ATS, i see LOTS of users, seemingly, able to not be enraged (at least visibly in their writings) when responding to one of "those" people.

"Those" people of which i am referring to are, simply put, idiots. (i could use worse words, but T&C do not permit)

And i don't mean someone who simply disagree's. Not just about politics and religion, but just any view in particular.

Someone who takes such a radical, far out there, no way in hell someone can believe this crap point of view. The kind of view that makes you think they're intentionally doing it just to garner some attention.

Obviously this occurs most often when dealing with politics & religion..and is really bad when you mix the two...but how do you do it?

Personally - i TRY to remind myself that there are other level headed individuals reading the post, thinking the same thing that i'm thinking....but when there's no response to the degree of which im thinking...i start thinking "is there no one else who see's this guy's glaring stupidity??!!"

Anyone else feel the same way?

or

Anyone else know what im talking about & possibly have some advice?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
ATS is no different than real life..although many would try to have you believe the opposite.Use whatever tactics you would apply to a real life situation..ignore it, walk away.
Everyone is not at the same level of intelligence or awakening or spirituality or whatever, but it is not really anyone else's job to point that out to them, or to everyone, especially in a derogatory or hurtful way.
Best to put your anger aside and if you can, be encouraging or helpful.
After all, to those on a bit of a higher path than you..YOU are the idiot.
Want respect with that ?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

well, perhaps its my own ego creating the illusion that i think you have the wrong idea about what i mean....so just to be sure, allow me to emphasize my point with an example:

Thread Title: GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Thread Content: I have no proof, you're just an idiot. You are a stupid imbecile who believes in a spooky man in the clouds, and you should die for your stupidiyt.

Example #2: Obama & Bush are both Reptilians Dictators from the Hexrayia Quandrant in the Alpha Sector. Here's Proof.

I mean really - why should either of those arguments be given a "fair chance". Neither are constructed in an intelligent fashion. Neither give proof or back up their claim with any tangible form of sense.

Perhaps im just "cocky" ?? I try not to be....but when i meet someone who embodies the definition of "idiot" i can't help but feel pissed off...:shk:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by AccessDenied

well, perhaps its my own ego creating the illusion that i think you have the wrong idea about what i mean....so just to be sure, allow me to emphasize my point with an example:

Thread Title: GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Thread Content: I have no proof, you're just an idiot. You are a stupid imbecile who believes in a spooky man in the clouds, and you should die for your stupidiyt.

Example #2: Obama & Bush are both Reptilians Dictators from the Hexrayia Quandrant in the Alpha Sector. Here's Proof.

I mean really - why should either of those arguments be given a "fair chance". Neither are constructed in an intelligent fashion. Neither give proof or back up their claim with any tangible form of sense.

Perhaps im just "cocky" ?? I try not to be....but when i meet someone who embodies the definition of "idiot" i can't help but feel pissed off...:shk:
I think you need to take a step back..take a deep breath and put this all in perspective.
Re-read what I said, in my first post.
This is a messageboard.
Does any of the examples above affect your reality enough for you to get angry?Seriously?
I've been where you are..I learned.
Think long and hard about what your argument is here.
You cannot change people, you can only accept the way they are, no matter how you feel about it.That being said...perhaps a walk outside might do you a world of good. A chit chat or debate face to face perhaps might enlighten somewhat.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Who says you have to give them a fair chance? Simply don't reply to them. Problem solved. They go to the graveyard of dead threads...

They are most likely "flamebait" posts anyhow (i.e. someone looking for a fight with words)... Why get sucked in?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yup, shrug it off and move on. There's no point in even attempting a rational, intelligent discussion with anyone who has already displayed the inability to have one. There's less point in calling them what you see their behavior displays them to be. Like they have the cognitive ability to understand it or something.

If someone is being that obtuse, whoever doesn't recognize it is likely just as bad. Those who do recognize it don't need it pointed out. They're probably all ignoring the nincompoopery, as well.

Springer's signature line-

Never argue with an idiot, he'll only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

On-line, we have the luxury of addressing only the posts we believe are worthy of response. The folks who are belligerent attention seekers should be left alone until they realize it isn't getting them anywhere. Oh, and alert on the truly offensive or off-topic. Let the staff keep the place nice and hospitable for the people who are really here for civil discourse.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

For me it's simply mind over matter... I don't mind because they don't matter... ATS, it's never personal!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I like Jaxon quoting Heartbreak Ridge (though it was probably original)

It all comes down to as I have posted many times...self-restraint

I am not knocking you OP. There are people here who frustrate me alot too but I just practice self-restraint...that is what allows me to post in a thread I loathe with calm demeanor or in extreme cases let's me walk away and laugh

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think a lot of times people take things personally (and sometimes the idiot poster intends them to). Try not taking things that completely anonymous people say personally... does, what they say really affect your life? In most cases, I think we can say "no".

Just take it for what it is and try not give it more importance to you than it deserves.

top topics

join