It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great site...Cost of war with running totals!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I found this site by accident while doing other research. The site includes running totals for "all wars", "The war in Iraq" as well as the "the war in Afghanistan. The site includes information about the "numbers". I sat and watched this for a few minutes and was astounded with the reality of these "numbers"...which was overshadowed by my thoughts of the lives lost.

I will never say that war is cheap but this site only cements the staggering cost in my mind only that much further, to think...what the world could do with that kind of money with respect to humanitarian spending. So check out the site and let the rising numbers sink in, if even only for a moment.

All Counters The numbers indicate all of the approved funding for the wars to date. In addition to this approved amount, the FY2010 budget shows a $130 billion request for more war spending. This would bring total war spending in Iraq and Afghanistan to more than $1 trillion. When all FY2010 war-related amounts are approved, we will adjust the counters so that they reach the new totals at the end of FY2010. If you should compare the amount displayed on the Cost of War counters with the numbers available in our information sheets, please note that the information sheets include all war spending to date, the same number that the counters will reach at the end of the 2009 fiscal year.

costofwar.com...
Notes on sources

[edit on 29-12-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Did some rough timing on this

Hows 255,000 a min for the wars !!!!!

No wonder the US is BROKE

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's hard to justify that cost.
I understand that we need our troops safe..
but do the troops really need to be there?

I get so pissed whenever I see vets on the street.
How about taking care of them first.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I would bet that the average person "knows" that war costs big bucks...but to see numbers like these and actually think about it...just blows my mind. And to think of all the homeless and hungry...in the U.S! What just a small fraction of this could mend.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
It's hard to justify that cost.
I understand that we need our troops safe..
but do the troops really need to be there?

I get so pissed whenever I see vets on the street.
How about taking care of them first.

Hard to justify?
How about impossible to justify?
Otherwise I'm in total agreement with you

Quick math that's about $30,000 per person in the US.
We've been murdered we just don't feel it yet.
I thought we waged wars for ACQUISITION?
Cui Bono?

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Yes, the wars cost a lot of money. I think it'd be self-evident that they would be a major punch to the gut to even the most casual of observers.

They are a waste of time and money, as intended.

I don't really know why they call them wars anymore anyway. There is little to no active combat in the traditional sense, only the normal clashes any occupying force can expect when holding lands you are far from understanding.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
For the record...I'm not against the troops, but I'm not for the reckless spending that burdens the backs of the taxpayer for a war that has made no sense from the start.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Its fun to complain about how much it cost to go to war, but it's never mentioned how much we profit from it. America has a long standing history of investing tax payers money in war and usually we get a return.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Actually, the website does the math on the cost per person which, as of this post, is $3,224.

As for mosesgunner's comment, 'we' don't profit from it, major government contractors do. So unless you work for Blackwater, Boeing, Haliburton, etc. I don't think you're profiting from these wars.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mosesgunner

the loss are shared among the public
the profit are shared by banksters and weapon sellers

that is how works a neocon economy on longterm basis

see bail-out/the pentagon 2.3 trillion $ missing for more understanding of that economic "law"

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Imagine if all that money had been spent on hospitals, research, Mars Exploration, ridding the world of hunger and disease, children and peace.

Alas no, guns, drones, tanks, missiles, weapons, death and destruction, control, fear, occupation and hate.

If I were ET, I wouldn't stop to pee on this planet.

All the best, Kiwifoot.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
please don't judge me on this post.

I wonder what the "cost per kill" is,
in other words how much did it cost to kill 1 'bad guy''.
I think the innocent deaths were free or at least buy one get one free.
friendly fire were the most expensive.

top topics

join