It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heard on News: Is It Time For More WHAT?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm just sitting here watching television and the lead line for the upcoming news segment (PIX II News At 10) is something like "Skin color and the war on terror- Is it time for more racial profiling?"

Um...

What?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is no. Racial profiling is not a good thing. I don't know if they're talking about in airports or in general or what, but that's just... disgusting.

*shrug*

Is this some sort of trick to convince people to be racist? I just really don't understand. I can see it now. "We need more racial profiling and Obama won't give it to us because he's black and now our country is in danger."

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Is this some sort of trick to convince people to be racist? I just really don't understand. I can see it now. "We need more racial profiling and Obama won't give it to us because he's black and now our country is in danger."

Right. We don't need profiling. If a witness sees a six foot white male with blond hair that robbed a bank, we should look for 5 foot women with red hair. Why use witness information, when we can be stupid and make believe that there are not physical differences in people.
Profiling is nothing more than cutting down the pool of potential criminals to increase the chance of catching the criminals.
Political correctness has NO PLACE when it comes to catching criminals or terrorists.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

Right. We don't need profiling. If a witness sees a six foot white male with blond hair that robbed a bank, we should look for 5 foot women with red hair. Why use witness information, when we can be stupid and make believe that there are not physical differences in people.
Profiling is nothing more than cutting down the pool of potential criminals to increase the chance of catching the criminals.
Political correctness has NO PLACE when it comes to catching criminals or terrorists.

No, political correctness has no place in catching criminals. It's obvious, though, that blanket racial profiling and specific profiling aren't the same thing by a wide margin (to be kind).

One is common police work, the other is patently in opposition to civil rights if done by agents of the government.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

It reminds me of the story about a trader who complained to a police officer when an elephant rampaged through the traders shop. The policeman asked him if the suspect had any identifying features.

I sympathize with the OP though, it is sad that it has come to this.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by kennyb72]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Blah, Blah , Blah ...etc I to wish I lived a world of lollipops and gum drops. But I prefer to live in the real world it may suck but at least it is real. I am willing to bet if a right wing militia was to do something you would also be the first to say maybe we should profile just for them.

Also I just wanted to add it seems like the whole Muslim faith is in on it or is it just me they do nothing to stop it and almost seem to have the same radical views. They do nothing to distance themselves and pray right next to them. Also they treat females like crap, I think alot of them have small penis issues. And they seem to love and I mean love war. Why defend such a group of women hating war mongers? Also if view things differently from them they want to kill you what the f*ck is that?

Also for all you bleeding hearts out in La La land instead of defending them go and join them if you think it is so great I bet you would see the truth really quick. Especially if you are a women

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Awesome reply. It's a shame that political correctness keeps people from thinking in a rational manner. Only problem is organizations such as CAIR and the aclu will have a field day with this. And with the supreme court we have.......they'll probably win unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

That says it all right there

/thread.

Originally posted by kennyb72

It reminds me of the story about a trader who complained to a police officer when an elephant rampaged through the traders shop. The policeman asked him if the suspect had any identifying features.

I sympathize with the OP though, it is sad that it has come to this.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by kennyb72]

Good analogy there!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Racial profiling is necessary and the world changed on 911. Blame muslims. Why aren't muslims taking care of this problem and making it stop?
Not only do we need racial profiling we need Islamic ideology profiling. Instead we ask questions like "did you pack your own bags? Are you carrying any liquids?"

No, ask "do you have a Koran? Do you believe Americans should die because of Islamic beliefs" They won't lie. And then send 'em home.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I agree. It is not racial profiling, it is religious whackjob profiling. We must learn to protect ourselves from people who are, in essence insane, that is, fundamentally religious.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Racial profiling ? Not sure how that would work. I do think we can ease up on the "Security Theater " Color Codes and "Magical Thinking " Pretending we will somehow make ourselves 'feel' safer by protecting what the criminals happened to do LAST time.
A terrorist attack can not possibly destroy a Nations foundation. Don't foster the concept that terrorism is a standing military construct. They are criminals ! They deserve no special status, especially in the eyes of their peers. Fear mongering and demonizing particular groups only serves to undermine the freedoms we still (for the time being) enjoy. If you recall DHS awhile back came out with a list of potential threats. Domestic terrorist and people of interest. Vets and returning Iraq vets, NRA members, Militia members, supporters of the Constitution , Left & Right wing extremists ect.
I'd like to add, there seems to be an inordinate interest (without probable cause) in Grandmothers, babies and well.......... almost every American citizen. So you may want to reconsider the whole profile thingy. You very well may be their next person of interest!
Personally I say hogwash ! Return to pre 9/11. Abolish DHS / TSA. Let the bad guys know they will be hunted like common vermin without the theatrics of infringing on the traveling publics privacy and dignity.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55

Racial profiling is necessary...

Why?

and the world changed on 911.

Bull. What about the world changed on 9/11.

I won't comment on the rest of your post for reasons obvious to even the most casual of observers.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Because there have been over 15000 acts of Islamic terrorism since 911
see list:
www.thereligionofpeace.com

And now this is moving onto US soil and we should have zero tolerance. That's so simple it's amazing.

If anyone has nothing to hide and no desire to kill non-muslims why would they be afraid of being profiled? Do you want to be held hostage because Isalmic ideology causes terror and costs so much money to protect citizens who abide by the law? Do you want to walk into a building not knowing if it will explode at any moment because a muslim is taught to kill non-muslims to get to heaven and will volunteer happily to do so? Do you want to let your child go to a mall and risk being sniped by a muslim who's mission is to kill Americans because his imam told him that was Sharia Law and Allah's wish?

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 30-12-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This is so stupid. Opponents to profiling always trot out "racism" as if the only criteria used to form a profile is a persons race.

Opponents seriously believe that? Really? Nothing else is considered? Affiliations, criminal history, overt behavior, perceived stress levels? Nope. All inconsequential to the persons pigment.

Profiling is useful. We all do it everyday. You profile before hitting on a woman or saying "hello" to a stranger. You dont just walk up to anyone without a thought in your head and say the first fool thing that comes out of your mouth. We profile for better or worse when somebody comes up beind us at the ATM or is walking toward you on a dark street. You profile when somebody knocks on your door. Is it a soft knoce, hard knock, angry knock, etc... and react accordingly.

Let go of the tree for a minute and take a deep breath.

I suppose the FBI should stop profiling for their suspects too.

Why dont some of these hyper-righteous whiners stop their bigoted practice of profiling every white guy with a rifle as a OBGYN shooting building bombing klansman? I'm getting a little tired of being on the receiving end of that one.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The civil right movement made alot of rules and regulations that need to be updated. The goal was to stop segregation and "profiling" was illegal to allow blacks to drink from white waterfountains. That doesn't really apply now but there are those who hold steadfast to those beliefs without considering the need now for an action that makes distinctions of criminal intent.
So to endanger thousands of people because Rosa Parks doesnt' want to sit on the back of the bus 50 years ago is just silly.

The enemy will take advantage of our laws that are defined in a court which gives them the advantage of immediate access to places that will endanger our populations.

America has fallen behind and now there are those who wish to kill and conquer us. We are at a disadvantage because Rodney King acknowledged that we all can't get along.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
well in our case- and evry free loving citizen of the planet.
Its us versus them,
As an US American I will say- this country has had its transgressions, as has every country, but we are about bringing it together and allowing every one to be as they must, but this does not allow for killing and murdering
hey wacko you can believe what you want, but just don't try to blow me up for it, and identifying those who are all "bomby" and "Anti-western-secular-thinking" well like Clint said "get off my lawn."
we tried being nice its time to point at who is responsible.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Exactly!
Zero tolerance. We will use racial, religious profiling because it's necessary for physical protection of US citizens.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Because there have been over 15000 acts of Islamic terrorism since 911 see list: www.thereligionofpeace.com

Right, and the large majority took place in such civilized places as Dagestan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, to name a few. I'd also suggest that they have a rather loose definition of "terror attacks"

And now this is moving onto US soil and we should have zero tolerance. That's so simple it's amazing.

There has been little to no successful terrorist activity on US soil, ever. While we should have zero tolerance for terror, there is no requirement to punish large swaths of people to make that happen.

Do you think we have much tolerance for terrorism as it stands now?

If anyone has nothing to hide and no desire to kill non-muslims why would they be afraid of being profiled?

Because this point is used often (and poorly) and spoken with conviction, doesn't make it any less foolish. Practically, this means that we should allow wholesale search of houses, vehicles, persons, computers, etc of people loosely grouped with those identified with terror (by race or religion mainly). What would be the difference really?

It is estimated that 772,500 people in the U.S. were members of gangs in 2000(Source: U.S. Department of Justice), which is pretty close to the number of members of the Iranian military. They kill thousands every year, and are predominantly comprised of young black and Hispanic men.

Wouldn't it be just as rational to have the random personal searches and police checkpoints in every major city?

Do you want to be held hostage because Isalmic ideology causes terror and costs so much money to protect citizens who abide by the law?

First, I am not held hostage because of Islamic ideology or terror. Second, emotional appeals, hypotheticals, and hyperbole do not win arguments, make points, or further fruitful discussion.

Do you want to walk into a building not knowing if it will explode at any moment because a muslim is taught to kill non-muslims to get to heaven and will volunteer happily to do so? Do you want to let your child go to a mall and risk being sniped by a muslim who's mission is to kill Americans because his imam told him that was Sharia Law and Allah's wish?

A few things:

1) You say these things like your plan to eliminate the 14th Amendment is the only path to stop the rampant violence in America by Muslim extremists. There is little to no cause for alarm as it stands now, and your idea, while amusing, is not the only avenue of approach.

2) I don't worry about terrorism for the most part, so your questions aren't relevant. It's costly and generally bad for business (and health) to commit terrorist acts in America.

3) Terrorism is criminal activity that can not be prevented perfectly with any level of security. Israel can testify to that. I'd suggest that the system is bound to fail regardless of the safeguards put in place because the defining benefit of asymmetrical warfare, is it's ability to disrupt foolish and rash people in such a massive variety of ways so as to not be wholly preventable.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I never ever for the life of me, understood racial profiling* ever. we all live on one planet, have our own lives agendas religions, ect...makes no seense what skin color has to do wit anyting. i mean yeah if yuor proud of yuor color n skin way cool! jsut seems when profiling goes on, a census* it makes tensions in the public..hell i think it helped creat welfare, my tax money is paying so soemone can seel drugs to triple thier income, and eat better than i do* or pump a unti out every 9 months just to tay on the program

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well think of this...

You have to walk down the same street every day...(this cannot change)

Day 1: You walk down the street and 1/4 of the way down a black man smiles at you and says "hello, lovely weather we are having today isnt it?". You reply "Indeed and good day to you sir." and continue walking. About halfway down the street a man in a green hat runs up to you and punches you in the face and darts off. The rest of your trip down the street is uneventful.

Day 2: About a 1/4 of the way down the street you run into a black man and a puerto rican woman knocking their belongings to the ground. You apologize to which they both smile pick up their stuff and reply "No harm done, have a good day.". At about 1/2 way down the road a man in a green hat runs up and punches you in the face and darts off.

Now on day 3 would a reasonable man believe that since 100% of black men have been very pleasant that he would have no fear of meeting a new black man on the street? Would a reasonable man also think that most puerto rican women are also nice.

And the real question is...

WOULD YOU CROSS THE STREET IF YOU SAW A MAN IN A GREEN HAT?

I would say that you are unreasonable if you said you would cross the street avoiding the black man and would endure the punches in the face of the green hats.

Not all middle eastern muslims are terrorists but 99% of terrorists have been middle eastern muslims...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
If 20-23 year old white males named bob were constantly trying to blow up stuff then I would say yes please search every white male named bob around that age. And while you are at it, go search robert over there also.

It's impossible to not profile.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join