It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First case of highly drug-resistant TB found in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

First case of highly drug-resistant TB found in US

news.yahoo.com

LANTANA, Fla. – It started with a cough, an autumn hack that refused to go away.
Then came the fevers. They bathed and chilled the skinny frame of Oswaldo Juarez, a 19-year-old Peruvian visiting to study English. His lungs clattered, his chest tightened and he ached with every gasp. During a wheezing fit at 4 a.m., Juarez felt a warm knot rise from his throat. He ran to the bathroom sink and spewed a mouthful of blood.
I'm dying, he told himself, "because when you cough blood, it's something really bad."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It would seem that there are a number of drug resistant infection , not just this new strain of TB (XXDR) TB

The report goes on to say ..

• In the U.S., drug-resistant infections killed more than 65,000 people last year — more than prostate and breast cancer combined. More than 19,000 people died from a staph infection alone that has been eliminated in Norway, where antibiotics are stringently limited

Lets hope that this strain of TD is limited and this is the last we hear of it

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

They have been going on about this the past several years, blaming both open borders and the large influx of hispanic and chinese immigrants for it. TB is hugely on the rise, but I also thought there were many known cases of this drug resistant one.

Tuberculosis Patient an Atlanta Lawyer
www.11alive.com...
Updated 5/31/2007 3:12:11 PM

ATLANTA (AP) -- The honeymooner quarantined with a dangerous strain of tuberculosis was identified Thursday as a 31-year-old Atlanta personal injury lawyer whose new father-in-law is a CDC microbiologist specializing in the spread of TB.

Bob Cooksey would not comment on whether he reported his son-in-law, 31-year-old Andrew Speaker, to federal health authorities. He said only that he gave Speaker "fatherly advice" when he learned the young man had contracted the disease.

The CDC had no immediate comment.

"I'm hoping and praying that he's getting the proper treatment, that my daughter is holding up mentally and physically," Cooksey told The Associated Press. "Had I known that my daughter was in any risk, I would not allow her to travel."

Speaker said in a newspaper interview that he knew he had TB when he flew from Atlanta to Europe in mid-May for his wedding and honeymoon, but that he did not find out until he was already in Rome that it was an extensively drug-resistant strain considered especially dangerous.

Despite warnings from federal health officials not to board another long flight, he flew home for treatment, fearing he wouldn't survive if he didn't reach the U.S., he said.

He was quarantined May 25, after his return from his honeymoon, in the first such action taken by the federal government since 1963.

more at link....

The guy flew all over hell's half acre, potentially exposing hundreds of people to his disease. Also, there was not much talk about where he contracted it from.

Here is another link, which has tons of links to the same story over all types of media:

www.encyclopedia.com...
A Long Strange TB Trip; An Atlanta lawyer with a potentially deadly contagious disease talks about a journey that has triggered fear and outrage.(Andrew Speaker)

He actually ended up testing negative, but I saw one patient die, and an entire family of 10-12 quarantined at the time this event happened, all allegedly contaminated with said virus. The one who died was actually handcuffed and kept in isolation under police guard for refusing treatment, and was forced to take meds or face being deported.

Did it turn out all of these were "not the real thing" and they have been scaremongering for several years now about this?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I was listening to the radio the other day. Talk radio. cant remember what show. Dave Ramsey maybe?

the guy calling was mentioning his foreign wife having a bad strain of TB.
I just blew it off.

Weird. Regardless of where it started, in tight areas, this stuff is like wildfire.

new topics

top topics

join