It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Seeking to Ban KKK From Campus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Professor Ede Warner of the University of Louisville is attempting to ban the Ku Klux Klan from their campus claiming they are a terrorist group. KKK members are protesting claiming they have a right to free speech. With 21,400 students on campus 77 percent are white while 12 percent are black and another 11 percent other minorities.

original news source:

ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- University of Louisville professor Ede Warner has a unique plan to keep the Ku Klux Klan off his campus: He wants the school to ban the group, then argue in court that it's a terrorist organization.

Klan members started posting fliers on campus early in the spring semester to protest diversity programs sponsored by the school. That stirred debate among faculty and administrators that has taken place on campuses around the country: how far the university can go to keep some groups off campus and how to best deal with unpopular ideas in the academic setting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally I despise hate groups and wish they would make their exit from society. However we do have freedom of speech not just for the popular belief but for all. I wonder if the school has any legal president to claim the KKK is a terrorist group, or if they are jumping on the “terrorist bandwagon” in an attempt to ban the group.

Additional Resources
CNN
CIVILRIGHTS.org
COURIER JOURNAL

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is not going to be a popular answer, but like it or not this is about freedom of speach.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
They are attempting to label then as a terrorist group because of their violent past. They have killed, burnt cross in front of homes and so on. Does this make them terrorists?

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Yeah it is about freedom of speech. And this group of social rejects and overall simian-like intelligence should be allowed to come to the campus to speak. The power needs to be in the hands of the student body. Instead of stirring up a whole controversy to ban these losers what should happen is they should make their speech and no one should show up. The student body should unite and collectively stay away from these idiots. By worrying about banning them from a campus all you're doing is giving a group of people attention who deserve nothing of the sort.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I searched for the US definition of a terrorist group, this is what I found. It seems that the KKK fits the description.

WHO'S A TERRORIST?

You think you know who the terrorists are? They are extreme fanatical Muslims from other lands, right? Think again. A terrorist could be anyone who tries to influence the policy of the government by intimidation or coercion, if their actions break any laws and are dangerous to human life, presumably including their own. A 1960's anti-Vietnam War protester would fit this definition.

Section 802 of the Act, borrowing from the definition of international terrorism contained in 18 USC 2331, creates the federal crime of "domestic terrorism."

Among other things, this section states that acts committed within the United States "dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws" can be considered acts of domestic terrorism if they "appear to be intended" to "influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion," or "to intimidate or coerce a civilian population."
This provision applies to United States citizens, as well as aliens.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
They are attempting to label then as a terrorist group because of their violent past. They have killed, burnt cross in front of homes and so on. Does this make them terrorists?

It all depends on which side of the fence you are standing. Christians have tortured, murdered, drowned and even burnt people alive for going against their way of life.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
They are cowards. It's a simple as that. If they had the strength of their convictions they wouldn't wear masks but stand in full view so everyone could see them.

As for freedom of speech, I have to agree that they should be allowed to speak. If people start differentiating between those who can speak and those who can't then we have no more freedom of speech and are as bad as Communist China. Let them speak and let the students see what a crock of racist crap they ramble about.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It has been proven on numerous occasion that the best way to defuse the effect of white supremacist groups is to expose people to their message. This has been mastered on numerous talk shows. We, the audience, are shown a group of white supremacists who are pitifully uneducated and lazy. They always go on to blame all of their ills on various other racial and religious groups and generally get laughed at because of the lack of sense in their arguments. Let them speak, air their speeches on TV too. Show the entire country how stupid these people really are, and reduce them to the comic relief role on the Jerry Springer show where they belong.

FYI the reason they wear masks is to prevent retribution against them and their inbred families. They are fully aware that they are in no position to defend themselves against those who might take offense to what they say. So they put hoods on to protect their identities. Anyone who justifies the masks in any other way claiming it's some kind of tradition is naive. It's exclusively a "they can't beat my ass if they don't know who i am" hood.

[Edited on 5-24-2004 by Djarums]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Actually, we don't have "freedom of speech" and we don't WANT "freedom of speech."

For instance, it's "freedom of speech" to stand up in a crowded theatre and scream "FIRE!" Or to mail someone a letter full of white powder and say "have an anthrax-full day!" Or to teach a classroom full of students how to commit suicide or how to kill their parents with arsenic.

We ban disruptive and destructive speech, and frankly (speaking as a liberal), I think their fannies should be banned from campus.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
It has been proven on numerous occasion that the best way to defuse the effect of white supremacist groups is to expose people to their message.

You know, you make some awfully good points. I'm not so afraid of their influencing the ones with some active braincells in their cranium as I am for their influencing the disaffected with their "easy answers."

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The white hood thing was originally to symbolize ghosts of Confederate soliders. However you are correct in thinking that the modern KKK only wears the hood to protect their identities. In the 60's in the south it was done to prevent people from finding out that the chief of police, their mayor, preacher, etc were all members of the Klan. Today it is for protection and also as marketing, the appeal of "tradition" can't be overlooked (especially where I'm from: the South).

Hate groups like the Klan are one of the few of life's problems that can be solved by ignoring them. If the news doesn't send 10 cameras to their next rally, they won't have one. Their message reaches more people through things like ones mentioned in the article than they would ever reach on their own. The Southern Poverty Law Center does a great job of monitoring their activities, as well as the activities of all identified hate groups in the US.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Banning doesn't work. We have that sort of thing in Canada. Ernst Zundel is in jail but his message is out there. You would be suprised at the amount of mail he gets.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
this is in city and its been an issue for some time since sista soulja went onto the campus a few months ago giving a speech about diversity and more than the klan were upset as this was the same woman years ago said that instead of blacks killing each other they should spend a day killing white people. this was her solution back then to a buzz word issue called "black on black crime". and i can understand why people would get upset over her giving any kind of speech on diversity given the remarks she's made in the past about white people. so the klan figured if she could go onto campus (she was invinted) they figured they could too. now i dont like sista soulja and i despise the klan but...free speech is free speech. this doesnt mean people will show up and even if they do that they will have any support.

i think its a waste of time but i say let em have their time on campus and be done with it. obviously this is getting more and more attention as the weeks go by and it seems pretty clear that most of us, while we dont agree with their views, should say what they want.

byrd your examples are taken out of context and you're using them as a means of justifying censoring those you dont agree with. while i agree that these people shouldnt say these things what's next? conservative talk? liberal thought? we cant just ban people from saying things because we dont like them or their view.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Banning doesn't work. We have that sort of thing in Canada. Ernst Zundel is in jail but his message is out there. You would be suprised at the amount of mail he gets.

What is his message? I know he has a hatred of Jewish people, but why? When replying disregard the Gaza Strip issue.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It all depends on the definition of terrorism. The United States has defined it by the following set of standards. The Ku Klux Klan seems to fall under definition #2 of Title 22 of the US Code, Section 2656f(d). If they do then the KKK can be considered a terrorist group and prosecuted as such.

Title 22 of the US Code, Section 2656f(d)

(d) Definitions: As used in this section –

• the term ''international terrorism'' means terrorism involving citizens or the territory of more than 1 country;

• the term ''terrorism'' means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by sub national groups or clandestine agents; and

• the term ''terrorist group'' means any group practicing, or which has significant subgroups which practice, international terrorism.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I gotta speak to this since I work ON the campus in question. They were not banned for thier ideas. They were banned for being here and posting materials on campus after hours. A weak arguement to be sure. They have been told that they can speak on campus but following certain guidelines. They refuse to follow them. They don't want to have a discussion, they want a rally.
As a fairly liberal person I say let em come and follow the rules and they can say any ridiculous thing they want. People don't have to listen or even like it.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

Originally posted by intrepid

What is his message? I know he has a hatred of Jewish people, but why? When replying disregard the Gaza Strip issue.

Claims the Holocaust didn't happen. He hates the Jews, bigtime.

BTW, love the avatar.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Like it or not, its freedom of speech. Groups like these exploit this to speak their mind. The question is, should we draw a line when it comes to what can be said?

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The KKK is just a bunch of white trash that wants to try to prove that sombody anybody is a lower life form than them. I would love to see them all put in jail and their children taken away and taught not to hate but that is free speech. Now if there is any violance by them it should be delt with on that basis.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The organization is a Domestic Terror Group focused on creating a state of fear in a group or groups of ethnic diveristy. Any group which hates another based on their culture, beliefs, and or sexual preference, as well as commit violent acts against them; are classified as a terriost group. These groups can be anything from gangs in L.A. to a militia group in W. Virginia. Our generation should be beyond such ignorance, and seeking a higher form of culture and or spirtual beliefs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join