It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Six Months Without a Cellphone - I feel fine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

In that case, I agree with you. Cellphones really aren't the be all end all and they're really a massive waste of time. I still use one, but maybe less than 5 times a day when sending a text.

Also, I can't stand those people that use a cellphone because they can use Facebook or Twitter. "Ooh, I can go on Facebook and update my status and tell people I just had a sandwich". No one cares, you annoying, preppy 16 year old prick. I hope the next time you dine you choke and die!

Cellphones are really the bane of humanity. I just can't take anyone seriously when they start typing using "text speak". Worse when someone actually writes in "text speak", but the worst is that some schools are actually ALLOWING this.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It's one of the last freedoms... really.

I got rid of mine 4 years ago. I could not imagine that constant bombardment anymore.

In a meeting a couple weeks ago at work, a co-worker was toying with her silly Blackberry the entire time. The vendors were on conference call and didn't have a clue, but I thought it seemed fairly inconsiderate.

Soon telepathy will be the norm and we'll have no choice anymore!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
my bought my first cellphone approx 4 months ago.
i finally caved.

I dont notice much of a difference, i wouldnt care if i didnt have one, wouldnt care if i did. but it is handy sometimes.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I have a cellphone, have had one for about 5 years now. It's useful and necessary for me. I have quite a sporadic work schedule, and when they need me, they call. Sure, I could replace the cell phone with a land line, but why hinder my availability to them and others without gaining anything?

I will note however, that as a 20 year old, I am one of the very very few young adults you will see NEVER texting or talking on the phone while driving. I pull over if it's important, or i'll ignore it or give my phone to my passenger to talk for me.

I truly disagree with anyone saying that a cell phone makes them less punctual. I'm borderline OCD when it comes to punctuality, especially to class and work, and I don't own a watch, just a phone. I think blaming it on a cellphone may just be a poor excuse for people to let themselves think they aren't punctual people.

I use my phone for calls, texts, and pictures. (I also own a digital SLR for the good pictures) No internet or ringtones, I ALWAYS have my phone on vibrate. No other fancy functions.

My parents got their first cell phones in 2002 when my town was mutilated by F2 and F5 tornadoes. They definitely have a prupose.

I grew up in the 90s and 00s, so I can't exactly recall the good ol' days as much as some of the other members, but I still recognize that speaking to people face to face has plummeted, and that fact does make me sad.

But thats it.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Good for you. I have never had a cellphone, I also hate talking on the phone.

But what it comes down to is you conquered what controls you. Now you take away my computer and I will probably shake and have physical withdrawls.
I even bought an I touch this year because I have to have surgery and want access to my computer while in the hospital. Spent 360 bucks for the thing, and I never use it. It is just in my purse and set up, for when I am in the hospital so I can check email, watch my ebay sales, and look up any medications they try to give me,lol

I had to go without it the week we moved and that was pure hell.
Being sick and stuck in the house though, this is my only lifeline to the world so it makes me nervous not to have it.

Congrats!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I also have a bottom of the line prepaid cell phone that I use very rarely. I'm allergic to metals, can't wear a watch, so I rely on my cell phone for the time. I use it so infrequently that when I do pull it out, the battery is usually dead. Don't get a signal where I live so have a land line, but rarely use it. Just don't like talking on the phone except when necessary.

I was so irritated Christmas, I wanted to scream. Three of my sister's adult
children spent considerable time texting. They texted while we ate, they texted while we were opening gifts, they texted while we were playing cards, they texted when we took the little kids on a treasure hunt. The were not only texting friends, they were texting each other from across the freaking room!

It was just rude and inconsiderate. I wanted to grab their phones and stomp them, but I think it would have taken a crane or something to pry them away!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I love cell phones.

Why?

Because I need as many tools as I can use to make my life easier, so I can focus on harder subjects/areas of work.

AKA...if you are building a rocket and need to be on top of things every second possible, walking 3 hours to work isn't the smartest thing when you could drive (just try and see the point).

Nothing wrong with making your life a bit easier in order to manage more activities at once.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join